Fashion designers without a degree?

^ Vera Wang also grew up filthy rich, and was a fashion director at Vogue before she started, so she didn't really need an education to be successfull... :innocent:

I don't think you definitively need a degree te become a FD. Maybe if you just want to work for a firm, why not, it will prouve you're level of knowledge. But if you want to work by yourself, only the finished product you'll show at the end will make you success or not.

Thread bump. I've recently started looking into certificate programs. I know Parsons in NYC has a certificate program for FD for adults (I'm 32) like me without doing through the rigors of a degree program, which they also offer.

But the certificate programs don't offer job assistance and connections with industry professionals like the degree program does.

What are the chances of finding a job with a certificate in fashion design vs an actual degree?

Dunno, I have no experience in that matter but common sense tells me it probbably mostly depends on what you want at the end of it, what kind of job are you hoping for. As far as connections go, i guess that with a certificate a fashion house would take your internship /job experience/whatever exploitative unpaid position they offer application more seriously and thats a way to form connections...

On topic: Does anybody know of any designers that werent born with a silver spoon in their mouth and dont have a degree? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread bump. I've recently started looking into certificate programs. I know Parsons in NYC has a certificate program for FD for adults (I'm 32) like me without doing through the rigors of a degree program, which they also offer.

But the certificate programs don't offer job assistance and connections with industry professionals like the degree program does.

What are the chances of finding a job with a certificate in fashion design vs an actual degree?
Here is a thread which is more about schooling options for various fashion careers .... you might find some good information in here: Education for a Career in Fashion? And on the first page is a list of various other related threads if you are just exploring career options in fashion.

interesting topic that completely went off my radar somehow....

miguel adrover is another who never attended design school.

i think regardless if you have the education or not,experience is by far most crucial in a talent's development. you look around and you see many educated designers but not very good designers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->