Fashion designers without a degree?

your right soft grey.
I also definitely have to say, that you need a general knowledge and some formal education to go far in the fashion world. The more independent you are without having to rely on someone else they have to hire to do your tech packages and the more you communicate with people like sewers and patternmakers the better you look.
competition is stiff.

I think basically now, it's essential to get a degree in Fashion to become a fashion designer...the only way around it otherwise, is if you do have an enormous amount of talent and contacts that are out of this world (i.e your parent owns a label).

Even with a degree now it's still really difficult to break into fashion design...namely wanting your own label or designing in a top fashion house. High street design teams are a bit easier to get into. The thing with getting a degree too, is the contacts that you'll gain through it...it would be very difficult to get contacts in design houses otherwise...

your right.
i was going to mention that while in school you are exposed to a major amount of people (teachers who work in the industry, people currently in the industry that can help) and opportunities ( first pick on internships etc)
It also prepares you to be responsible and work under pressure.

School is very, very important.

That said, here are a few off the top of my head. People without Fashion or Art degrees(but possibly other degrees:(

Chanel
Vivienne Westwood
Donatella Versace
Kate Spade
Diane Von Fürstenberg
McQueen went to CSM for a masters, but hated it.
Armani

I left out designers who started when fashion schools didn't exist (i.e. Worth, Rose Bertin, etc.).

if you do look at those "20th century" designers..it took them a longer time to get to the top spot they are at today

people does take designers now that have a degree more seriously than those who dont..unless that person is ultra talented
not saying that you cant self teach..but it takes longer than going to school and learn there

i mean..look at proenza schouler and zac posen..so young..yet so famous

MUXU said:
not saying that you cant self teach..but it takes longer than going to school and learn there

i mean..look at proenza schouler and zac posen..so young..yet so famous

There is a danger of just not developing as well if you're self teaching...it's really great to be in a class full of loads of students all with different styles...because it really broadens your horizons and stops your collections getting stuck in a rut, you'll see things that inspire you from other students designs and illustrations and that will help you develop your ideas and in the end become a better designer.

Raf studied Industrial design and then had private lessons from a Tutor at Antwerp in tailoring. He also had an internship with Walter Van Beirendonck.

A fashion degree is not essential but you better get the same skills and knowledge from somewhere! And it's extremely hard to get them without going to a college program. For example (like raf above), Mcqueen worked freelance and was offered a job as a tutor at CSM without a degree, but he also had spent several years on Saville Row learning tailoring.

So if you aren't going to go to college to study it then you make it even harder for yourself, much much harder, but it's not impossible. Good Luck!

the sisters at Rodarte (a new Wintour fav) started totally last minute. They majored in like...idk English or something non-fashion related, and one of them was waitressing to pay for the materials up until the second collection! They hand sew everything and are incredibly young and talented however. It's a bit of inspiration for you starting out though!

roca3itch said:
the sisters at Rodarte (a new Wintour fav) started totally last minute. They majored in like...idk English or something non-fashion related, and one of them was waitressing to pay for the materials up until the second collection! They hand sew everything and are incredibly young and talented however. It's a bit of inspiration for you starting out though!

that's interesting. you know where i can read more about them? i ran a search on google but only got pictures of their collection. Thanks!

yeah, the september W has a long story on them...also...hehe i'm interning for them so you can ask me about them if you want!

hahah TELL ME EVERYTHING! :P

you're so lucky!

i find them to be an insipiration. Did they take a fashion degree or just started sewing? and they actually hand sew everything and sold their collections?

I wonder how important is education in fashion. I understand that one needs to be proficient in all aspects of fashion, and subjects like garment construction,pattern making and sewing need to be learnt but what exactly is the point of “studying” things like color theory or elements of design.. because if everything would be taught and feeded like these are the rules, where does your input/creativity/individual touch go? I have studied fashion myself but could not complete my course coz I found it way too technical for my liking coz for me fashion design is an art which is your creative expression in the form of clothes, at the end of the day it could be just a profession for a few but do u really think fashion design needs to be studied (considering I do not have to take any job), if yes what are the subjects/knowledge that you think can only be learnt when u study and not what u can learn by experience or u possess? Am really curious to know what do people who have studied fashion design think about the education they get, like what is it they could have never known if they did not go to a fashion school.
Thanks in advance:smile:

(sorry if this sounds similar to the questions that have already been answered)

and i know P.diddy Sean Combs didnt go to fashion school.he went to school to study business and dropped out and got into music and know is a known designer i wonder if he even sketched an outfit.

I know Vivienne Westwood doesn't have one. She became interested in fashion through Malcolm McLaren. However, her parents were involved in the textiles industry so she had a fair bit of knowledge in putting pieces together.

You definitely need education in designing. People think it's so easy but it really isn't. I've only did half of my foundation in fashion (didn't decide to go on with it, too stressful) and I barely touched on the amount there is to learn. No, not everyone can do it. No, you're not a designer just because you draw a few sketches. Sure, design for fun, but don't think you are a designer because you draw a few pictures in a notebook and stick some sequins on a top. So, not to say you NEED degree, but you definitely need training. Lots of it. A degree is like a pass that takes you another step up a very long and ardous ladder.

*angel* said:
I wonder how important is education in fashion. I understand that one needs to be proficient in all aspects of fashion, and subjects like garment construction,pattern making and sewing need to be learnt but what exactly is the point of “studying” things like color theory or elements of design.. because if everything would be taught and feeded like these are the rules, where does your input/creativity/individual touch go? I have studied fashion myself but could not complete my course coz I found it way too technical for my liking coz for me fashion design is an art which is your creative expression in the form of clothes, at the end of the day it could be just a profession for a few but do u really think fashion design needs to be studied (considering I do not have to take any job), if yes what are the subjects/knowledge that you think can only be learnt when u study and not what u can learn by experience or u possess? Am really curious to know what do people who have studied fashion design think about the education they get, like what is it they could have never known if they did not go to a fashion school.
Thanks in advance:smile:

(sorry if this sounds similar to the questions that have already been answered)

As a student studying fashion design, I can agree with you for part of the technical aspect of learning, as it isn't everyone's favorite part, but I've learned that it is vital to at least knowing how a garment is properly constructed. While talent is what will keep you in a position, knowledge is power (despite how cheesy that sounds). In today's world, going to school can be great for making connections, that would be hard to make otherwise. I'm not saying that you have to go to school to do well in this industry, but doing so helps.

LostInNJ said:
As a student studying fashion design, I can agree with you for part of the technical aspect of learning, as it isn't everyone's favorite part, but I've learned that it is vital to at least knowing how a garment is properly constructed. While talent is what will keep you in a position, knowledge is power (despite how cheesy that sounds). In today's world, going to school can be great for making connections, that would be hard to make otherwise. I'm not saying that you have to go to school to do well in this industry, but doing so helps.

I get your point there, thnx:flower:

I believe Vera Wang worked in another field (I want to saw law, but I don't think that's right) for many years until she decided that she's rather do fahsion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->