faust

Reaction score
From the Village Voice

Elements of Style
by Lynn Yaeger
Bush, Whacked
Believe it or not, a slew of swanky downtown shops are getting political
May 24th, 2004 4:20 PM

ott Street in Nolita is not exactly Bleecker and MacDougal or St. Marks and Avenue A. If a tie-dyed camisole turns up on Mott, it might just be made of silk; the torn jeans you see are likely to sport Rogan labels. Regardless of how hip and boh�me the styles, prices in this part of town are strictly haut bourgeois. So imagine our surprise when we discover that more than one of the precious boutiques below Houston are offering the kind of garments usually sold by vendors at a street demo.

We first notice this phenomenon at a lovely shop called JANET RUSSO (262 Mott Street), where a sequined $650 summer dress hangs right alongside stacks of T-shirts in pretty color combos�pink with burgundy, kelly green with lemon�that say "Better Karma . . . " on their fronts and "Vote Kerry" on their backs. The shirts ($30 for adults; $24 for people too small to vote) are form-fitting and non-sweatshop-made (two nice things) and have garnered an overwhelmingly positive response, according to the store's manager. But, of course, not everyone in the $600-skirt bracket is a Democrat: So what happens when a Fox 5 fashionista wanders into the store? "A few people have said, 'Where are your Bush shirts?' We just say, 'You're in the wrong shop!' "

Around the corner at the YOUNG DESIGNER MARKET, held almost every Saturday at the St. Patrick's Youth Center (268 Mulberry Street), an attorney from New Jersey named Jim Morrison is selling T-shirts he manufactures under the business name Dangerousbreed.net. (Even when the pricier Nolita stores are dead as doornails, this market is hopping, and no wonder�who can blame shoppers for flocking to a place where innovative clothes and accessories actually cost less than $100?)

Though at first glance Dangerousbreed's offerings appear to be merely more of those tedious fake-old souvenir tees, a closer look reveals surprising sentiments: A portrait of a woman is accompanied by the words "Gaza Strip Club"; "Enjoy North Korea" sports palm trees; "Saudi Arabia, Sportsman's Paradise" features a leaping trout. "The challenge is to design a political shirt that you would want to wear every day, not just to a political rally," Morrison, who makes the shirts himself, explains proudly. "Very few T-shirts have a message layered underneath the irony." Some of his creations are completely new; others are riffs on vintage motifs (the bucolic hills on a Baghdad shirt once graced a Colorado tee). On Sundays, Morrison plies his wares from a table at Orchard and Stanton; at either location, the shirts cost $20�he says this is the most he would personally ever pay for a tee.

Over at the TRIPLE 5 SOUL flagship (290 Lafayette Street), where the sensibility is raffish-skater hip-hop (a gray sweatshirt with a lot of zippers is $60), the political positions are sharply partisan. A company called Body as Billboard (its slogan is "Advertise for **** That Matters") offers undershirt-and-panty combos that range from a concise "**** Bush" to a saucier "The Only Bush I Trust Is My Own" to our personal favorite, "Keep Your Laws Off My ****ing Body." (Tops are $36; bottoms $25.) By way of further explanation, a visit to bodyasbillboard.com turns up this bluntly refreshing manifesto, which reads in part: "Why? Because corporate America uses our bodies to advertise for companies where employees have no health benefits, work in hideous and dangerous conditions, are treated like **** and to boot, do not even make a living wage. . . . These companies should be paying us to wear their logos scrawled all over our bodies. The average American is exposed to over one thousand advertisements a day. This is ****ing bullsh*t."

Of course, some people prefer a subtler approach to the political wearable�or maybe they just don't look good in a tee, or can't wear slogans to work. Still, they needn't face the day message-less: At GIRLPROPS (153 Prince Street) a rhinestone-encrusted peace symbol on a silvery chain is $5.99; a larger heart-shaped peace sign, equally glittery, is $7.99. You can confidently wear these to the office with your stuffiest fake-Chanel suit or Gap twinset: The boss will never suspect you're wearing **** Bush panties under your Spanx.

studbig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I :heart: the Gaza Strip Club shirt, and the "The only Bush I trust is my own" :D

And I beleive that what the "Body As Billboard" company is doing is very smart. Although I personally wouldn't wear something as brash as "f*ck Bush"

*Yawn*...it's all a bit childish really - cheap 'Bush' puns on a plain white tank...

I happen to believe that politics are important, I think it's great when fashion people care. I just wonder how many actually really do care?

It often stops at cheap, populistic slogans that anyone could support.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 3:46 pm
*Yawn*...it's all a bit childish really - cheap 'Bush' puns on a plain white tank...
Believe me, the subject of the pun doesn't deserve anything more sophisticated or mature. That phrase as is would take him about 30 minutes to comprehend.

He has an MBA from Harvard Business school which, while he may not be an intellectual giant, qualifies him as smarter than the average bear (no offence to Bear)...and politics is a serious issue which requires more thought than cheap puns and silly frippery.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
He has an MBA from Harvard Business school which, while he may not be an intellectual giant, qualifies him as smarter than the average bear (no offence to Bear)...and politics is a serious issue which requires more thought than cheap puns and silly frippery.
Right on, Prince! You said it for me!

'f*ck Bush' panties?!

:shifty:

:writes down the address:

That would make me smile all day long.

in our times and the way political situation is going,
even my cat will turn political.. public reaction is inevitable

fashion has always been political, since middle ages and beyond,
wearing a slogan may be cheap and 'light', nevertheless,
it is communicating a political view, for all to see.

and dont forget, the MarkJacobs for Hillary a la Warhol T's
or those with Che's face :P

ps. i couldn't wear the slogans mentioned in the article myself
but i adore the body-as-billboard concept.
thanks for the article :flower:

'Tis true, Lena...however, I think fashion often trivialises politics - how many people who wear the ubiquitous photo of Che actually know when that photo was taken and why or even what Che Guevara did?

Katherine Hamnett comes to mind...

while i agree that wearing a t-shirt really doesn't matter...especially if the proceeds are going to a lawyer in NJ... :rolleyes: ...

i don't think that a degree from harvard is all that impressive...my ex has a masters from harvard and so do most of his colleagues and friends...while they are all intelligent folks...i am not particularly in awe of any of them...and i can certainly hold my own ...if not run circles around them in conversation...

my best friend from hs also went to harvard...now you may ask whether i did as well...and the answer would be that i chose not to...i did not like the quality of the people who attended that school...they all had a superiority complex and harvard re-enforces that idea in its student body...the students have very little concept of reality...of course there are exceptions...i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?... :innocent:

so ...i really don't think that a diploma from that school really means all that much...he didn't exactly graduate magna cum laude... :ninja:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 10:28 pm
'Tis true, Lena...however, I think fashion often trivialises politics - how many people who wear the ubiquitous photo of Che actually know when that photo was taken and why or even what Che Guevara did?

Katherine Hamnett comes to mind...
i absolutely agree, as i said, silly or not, it's still sending a very specific message.
reacting to a crisis

and yes of course, Mrs Hamnett :heart:

He barely graduated from Yale, and it's an open secret that it's none other than family connections which got him into Harvard Business School.

You don't need that keen of an eye to tell the man is a complete utter moron.

No one is going to take a silly t-shirt like this seriously, and I doubt its makers ever intended or expected it to be. At best it's a light-hearted reflection of the political sentiments (which are serious) of a large portion of American citizens.

i love this.

i think if you're going to spend money and time to buy a shirt like this, there's a good chance you might have an interest in what it represents...maybe not everyone...but if you're buying some thing that says "vote kerry" you might be inclined to vote kerry

and i love this idea...for the anit war rallies in Toronto me and my friends all made our owns shirts at $11 a pop.

Originally posted by softgrey@May 26th, 2004 - 4:32 pm
[i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?... :innocent:

True, his connections helped him get in, but that doesn't help you pass the classes. Most college professors are liberal anyway, so it's doubtful they would have been leniant on his grades. I just get annoyed when people make a statement like, "Bush is dumb" and give no explanations. Yes, he is the not the best speech-giver or the most articulate, but that does not automatically shout idiocy. I would feel the same if someone said, "Kerry is a liar" and then didn't back it up with examples. Kerry, by the way, was likely helped by his family's connections and prestige. His father was a big military guy and his mom was Rosemary Forbes of the Forbes family. I don't know who I'm going to vote for this year, but I just thought I should present this bit about Kerry to be fair. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->