• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Fashion Gets Political

Tom Ford F/W 2018
'P*ssy Power' Natalia Bag and Shoes.

Tom+Ford+Fall+2018+Details+f1X70KO_Bnnl.jpg
Tom+Ford+Fall+2018+4UhqeQRtDUDl.jpg

There was a very clear political message at Calvin Klein S/S 18' with a clear inspiration from the midwest. I think it was maybe a directional of the voters who elected trump? I don't know if that's just my perspective.

Calvin+Klein+Spring+2018+6bjGFPgQ7dkl.jpg
Calvin+Klein+Spring+2018+wDnRBFYzUuql.jpg

Livingly.com

Vetement waded into the brexit conversation and their standpoint on the UK leaving Europe was a clear message in a number of sweaters they produced (retailing at £1100 :rolleyes:).

Lyst.com

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ You’re definitely reading way too much into Raf’s CK offering.

Raf’s CK was more Warhol’s Americana but with a severe (and painfully contrived) minimalist’s aesthetic. Some of it worked and I actually like it and I like the campaign shoots by Willy. I don’t see any slagging of middle-America at all. (Which would be extremely pompous and in such poor taste of ridiculing the working-class and their values. America is not just NYC, LA and Chicago…)

Fashion as a whole generally are rather bluntly idealistic and straightforwardly naive when they go political. Hence those embarrassing “We Should All Be Feminists” Dior tees. I mean, yes— of course "we should all be feminists”; but when you’re paying for a designer’s slogan, you tend to loose any credibility politically and come across as a vapid fashion victim of the worst kind: Why not DIY if you really want to make such a statement…???

^ Helen Mirren recently wore an outfit (in her thread) with a feminist slogan theme, and she didn't come across as vapid to me ... anything but, I thought it was great.

But I take your point. My slogan/political Ts have come either from campaigns or Etsy (my DIY :wink:). And I did immediately wonder who would buy the p*ssy power bag. Nonetheless, I completely understand why designers would want to put a statement on the runway. It's certainly what I would do in their shoes, though mine might be a little different ...

I need to find a pic of the 'More glitter less twitter' top ...

huffingtonpost

Ashish ...

Attachments

• stronger.jpg
    stronger.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 5
  • more glitter.jpg
    more glitter.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 4
  • nasty.jpg
    nasty.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 4
  • no colour.jpg
    no colour.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 3
Ha! "More Glitter Less Twitter" is wicked. Now get a Hanes tee and a Sharpie and DIY!

Was Helen wearing that wretched Dior tee...? If she was, I'd dismiss her with the same contempt I'd dismiss anyone else wearing it: It's really the context of wearing an expensive designer slogan tee that's a farce to the cause, and spits in the face of such a statement. (Unless Dior was giving these tees out for free.)

^ No, she wasn't wearing the T ... go take a look at her thread & find out, it's well worth a visit :P

I'm not sure that a high price invalidates a message. This Ashish stuff isn't cheap, but the messages are sincere and real.

my first and continued reaction to the p*ssy power bag is to question the choice to put a GIANT buckle in the middle which all but obscures the message...

i mean...
really>?

*cowardly a**hole...
just in it for the clicks...

i'm all for DIY-
but loads of people aren't, i guess and selling t shirts is a quick and easy way to make money for a campaign or cause so i guess that's cool...
people love t-shirts...
personally, i don't wear many t shirts (except to sleep in)...

i'm sort of shocked that there isn't more stuff like this on the runways...
but i think people have figured out other ways to express their opinions and their outrage...
*like calling congress*
or having fundraisers or using social media to speak out...

i kind of agree that it's a bit incongruous and flippant to wear a shirt like this...
but i think it's good to see it on the runway, cause that will get media coverage...as will the message...

* i saw a big giant guy with red hair and a beard wearing a shirt that said "we should all be feminists" and i CANNOT tell you how freaking happy that made me...
i asked him if i could take a pic!...

:P

story:
i have been working with a graphic designer who i think does really fun, pop kind of work...
and she keeps designing t shirt graphics...
and i'm like- why not just DIY? and- don't you think there are enough t shirts out there already?

and she's like- i can't , my writing is bad...
:doh:...
she won't even make a sign by hand...
she would rather do it on the computer and print it out...

go figure...
so, i've loosened up my opinion on that a bit...
but i do find that anything DIY is more impactful...
you don't get your pic in the paper carrying a printed sign or wearing a logo t shirt...

on the other hand, if you are famous and getting your pic taken anyway, it's easy to just grab a t and throw it on...
that seems like a good way to get a message to your followers about what you believe in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeroplvne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->