Fashion in Germany

Dustcakeboy

Reaction score
So I'm about to apply for Uni and I'm thinking of taking German as well as Film Studies. But - and I know this is a rather difficult question to answer - what state is the fashion industry in, in Germany?

Are their career opportunities in the industry in Germany? Are some areas/cities more active in the industry?

I've been coming across more and more style/fashion-focused German blogs online so maybe that's a indication but I just thought I'd ask around..:innocent:

Thanks in advance.

It's really doing well and beginning to flourish. Berlin FW is attracting more and more top names and a lot of top German models feel an affinity to their home country - it's why you often see Lars in the shows!

I'd say it is an excellent place to break into the industry because German fashion is just really beginning to come into its own and really become a major powerplayer. You have the best potential to find a fledgling company to grow with and become important to. But if you want to get in with an established company, you do have Hugo Boss and Rene Lezard.

City-wise? Berlin and Hamburg are going to be your top locations, obviously. Munich, not so much. Hannover is doing well, but Berlin and Hamburg are where to go for the industry as they house many of the ateliers.

Hope that helps!

^ I was going to say Berlin as well :smile: an inspiring place to work I'm sure

It's really doing well and beginning to flourish. Berlin FW is attracting more and more top names and a lot of top German models feel an affinity to their home country - it's why you often see Lars in the shows!

I'd say it is an excellent place to break into the industry because German fashion is just really beginning to come into its own and really become a major powerplayer. You have the best potential to find a fledgling company to grow with and become important to. But if you want to get in with an established company, you do have Hugo Boss and Rene Lezard.

City-wise? Berlin and Hamburg are going to be your top locations, obviously. Munich, not so much. Hannover is doing well, but Berlin and Hamburg are where to go for the industry as they house many of the ateliers.

Hope that helps!
So informative, thanks!

I've only heard good things of Berlin so far...:shifty:

I hope to holiday there this Summer and I'm thinking of taking an internship there during my studies in a few years instead of studying in Germany. How about internship opportunities there, are they..er...numerous?

If you're looking for internships, pop on over to the internship thread, but from what I know about it. . .they're a lot more competitive cos they are far and few between; however, more Germans try to get their internships in Paris and Milan, so it kind of evens the playing field out. Of course, to take an internship speaking German fluently is going to be required! And make sure you know the slang of the industry as it is auf Deutsch, that'll be helpful! Your best bet is to begin emailing and getting in contact with the houses you want to work for and explain who you are and what you want to do. I'm sure someone will bite!

I personally think Germany is one of the best locations to get in on right now because it's just emerging and has so many exciting, young, hip designers!

I think Hamburg is another good city but of course Berlin should be the first option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iphone4321
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->