Men Working in the Fashion Industry

I'm working at the External Relations department (PR) of a luxury brand in Spain. However my boss is a woman...

borissov said:
Uhm :-) Male, straight, photographer in Milan.

"But by and large, the business is controlled by a loose gay mafia, overseen by a cabal of hard-eyed men in suits and their legions of soulless accountants." - so true!

yeah, even if i hate sexism, this is obviously very true
and i believe this happens because males can breath -and slave- fashion much more faithfully than women.
maless who work in the industry are amazingly driven.
no matter how succesful or how 'nobodys' they are, males
take fashion so very and totally 'seriously'

Sure, but I know some very driven females in Fashion! It's just that glass ceiling that's a problem.

PK

Eh... I don't know how much I buy into the glass ceiling concept, regardless the industry. It all depends on how you handle your career (e.g. seek out opportunities, take chances, etc.)

Myself, I'm a patternmaker and tailor. I work in the glamorous <sarcasm> world of apparel manufacturing - the dark underbelly of the fashion world. Every factory I've worked in charged with machismo, so be prepared to talk rough and carry a big stick.

And while you might think you shouldn't mess with lefty (the guy missing a couple fingers) in the cutting department, it's the stitchers you gotta watch out for! I've heard rumors those gurlz will slice your tires if you send a sloppy pattern to the floor.

Eh... I don't know how much I buy into the glass ceiling concept, regardless the industry. It all depends on how you handle your career (e.g. seek out opportunities, take chances, etc.)

Myself, I'm a patternmaker and tailor. I work in the glamorous <sarcasm> world of apparel manufacturing - the dark underbelly of the fashion world. Every factory I've worked in charged with machismo, so be prepared to talk rough and carry a big stick.

And while you might think you shouldn't mess with lefty (the guy missing a couple fingers) in the cutting department, it's the stitchers you gotta watch out for! I've heard rumors those gurlz will slice your tires if you send a sloppy pattern to the floor.

Im also walking towards this glamorous (sarcasam) road of manufacturing/production... but anyway ive been to alot of interviews of mostly the companies ive been throught would have partners the guys would be taking sides of the business while the girl partner would be more into the creative input..

bluespring said:
the guys would be taking sides of the business while the girl partner would be more into the creative input..
It all depends on the individual strengths of the partners. In my shop, I design, draft, develop and produce. But, I've been a one-man tailor shop for a very long time.

I will hire out for more specialized skills when I need to. For example, the illustrator I have in my Rolodex is female - she's good and I like her style. My sketches are good enough to communicate within the shop; but, aren't sufficient for marketing materials, etc.

And, one of the patternmakers I call for guidance is also a female - she's just darn good, too! She's got the equivalent of 15 yrs more experience than I do, so she's a good person to rely on when projects are outside my realm of expertise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alintus
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->