Fashion Career in the Film Industry

chinie

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am completely puzzled in regards to salary, compensation, or fee when working in the wardrobe department for a film. I’ve worked in the fashion industry but never in the film industry so this is all very new to me. I’ve interned in one film but now want a paid position. Is this too presumptuous of me to ask for a paid position after only one film internship or is this the right attitude to have for this field? Is there a standard on how many internships/experience one should have before getting a paid position? Are wardrobe assistant generally non-paid? If anyone has any helpful tips I would greatly appreciate it.

hi chinie and welcome to tFS
It all depends on the market, cause every market has its own rules..
i've done one film myself as wardrobe director and i payed very well my assistant, who never interned in any films before..
I believe you should ask in your local market for general info regarding how much you should ask, it all depends of the film and is based on someone's experience, time needed for shooting and fitting and of course the film's budget.
But be very choosy.. its better to built up doing a brilliant film than get money while doing a silly film..

In europe, as far as i know no one is going to assist in a film wardrobe for free.. maybe if its for friends doing short lengths or art films ..but thats where the line is drawn
for a 'real' commercial production is far too many work hours to give out for free no?

Hi Lena,
Thanks for the welcome and the great advice. Yet, what do you mean by “every market has its own rules”? I live in NYC and have been contacting production companies but most wardrobe departments just want an intern, which makes me think I need more film experience. Nevertheless, I will keep looking around in NYC but I am open to working in L.A. depending on the project.

chinie said:
Yet, what do you mean by “every market has its own rules”? .

you are welcome chinie..:flower:

by "every market has its own rules" i mean that they have a different way of working in lets say London, Paris, NY, Mardid..
for sure is very important to have some experience with good teams/ good movies and always keep track of your wardrobe jobs (dvds or photos) to take around as a 'book'
maybe you are right though, with just one assistant/intern job it may be hard for someone to trust you with a production..
short films with movie students might be a good way to built up a reputation and a book.. :wink:

I am looking for a internship with a major production company for tv or film in the nyc area...and so far everything that I find is in California; does anyone have any suggestions? Thanx:flower:

I highly doubt an internship is required. The film industry is very strict about getting everyone on a set paid - there is even a labor union for costume designers and assistant designers. Though do not expect to be paid much as an assistant (comparable to the extras I imagine, about $60-$90 a day). Just like in fashion, only the top few make a decent living.

This, of course, excludes most independent films and student films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->