Fashion/Lifestyle Publishing and Age

There's alway a chance at your age (I'm one of those very, very late starters, myself and (9/11 prompted it for me, too). But you have to be prepared to face some prejudices about older people ... I bump into it often. You have to be able to be better and faster and eat, sleep and breath what your younger competition does so that people can see that you are modern and up to date.

I think that your location will ultimately be harder to deal with. If you want to work in fashion, you have to live where the work is or be able to communte on a regular basis. The secret to success in the fashion business is who you know and their willingness to work with you and refer you to others ... so "out of site, out of mind!" applies here. You have to be always present so people don't forget you.

But then, you did not say what you do ... but I'm going off to check your link now.

Last edited by a moderator:
i also trying to get a job in a magazine.
i'm 24, college grad, with major in English, and
no prior experience. i'm bilingual if that helps, Spanish-linguist.

i'm not so sure about the fashion industry, i mean i like fashion (otherwise i wouldn't be here) but my real passion is music.
Fashion is something i can do for so long, before i start getting bored with it. Music on the other hand, i can on and on about. is the music industry as difficult to get into as the fashion industry?

any advise would be greatly welcome. :flower:

Probably the Fashion Spot is not a good place to find out about music careers ... and this thread is about breaking into fashion magazines so your question about breaking into a music career is porbably not one that anyone here can answer. We are a fashion forum and we don't have any topics about music careers here in the Careers & Education forum.

However, if your primary interest is in music, you might find some like minded members in a sub forum in the Entertainment Spot about music (as entertainment) and if you find anyone who happens to work in music, you can PM them for career advice. Hope this helps some.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm sorry:D (i even forgot i posted this.)

i just thought that since most fashion magazines cover music, film, and other forms of art, it would be ok for me to ask. :flower:

i submitted some articles i wrote to some fashion magazines.
hopefully someone responds.

GOOD LUCK ME!!!!^_^

It's OK to ask ... but getting a response from fashion minded people about how to get into the music industry is the problem ... we have no idea, whatsoever.

And good luck ... I hope you get some action on your articles.

You could always start your own magazine. It's probably never going to be able to compete with the majors, but it doesn't mean you can't go local. Actually, a cheap way to do it is to make it online only. I've recently launched a business/lifestyle blogzine (see my signature for Prospere Magazine), which is updated once a month. In the first issue, I profiled a local jewellery designer. My writers are also all volunteers (many are journalism students or people who write for their school paper. Others are experts in their respective industries) because well, I can't pay anyone right now.

Is it possible for someone in his or her late 20s to succeed in fashion/beauty/lifestyle publishing if they've worked in other industries? In other words, is it possible to get an entry level job?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screenstarmakeup
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->