Advice: Education & Career Goals (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

hi and welcome to tFS...
what exactly do you want to do for these companies?
you can always go in and apply for a sales job (many stores are hiring extra help because of the holiday season), and work your way up to being a manager, etc. or possibly do visual merchandising (dressing the mannequins in the windows and do styling around the store)...
i know people that have started out working at a store and worked their way up to working at the corporate headquarters of a major retailer...
it just takes time and patience, and in many cases it requires moving around a bit...

if you want to design the clothing, then yes, you need to go to design school and apply after you graduate...
some companies have programs where you can intern while you're in school and be hired after you graduate...
hope that helps...

Hi,

I'm currently studying at the Savannah College of Art and Design in Fashion Marketing with hopes of working in the fashion industry with advertising or marketing. It's only my first year at this school and i'm realizing how difficult it is to get an internship in a non-fashion city. However, because of scholarships I am able to study at this school for a very reasonable amount.

I'm thinking about transferring to FIT since it's obviously the best for fashion business and in NYC. If I go to FIT though I will have to take out loans and go into debt. I continually hear people say that you don't necessarily need to go to a fashion school to get in the industry, but at the same time you need to be in a fashion capital.

I'm really unsure if I should just stick it out here down south in the middle of nowhere or live with the debt and move to NYC. I guess it could be seen as an investment into a hopefully one day awesome career in the fashion industry.

If anyone can give me advice I would really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
^Well, first off you should ask yourself, do you love the school you are at? Think about what you love about SCAD. Then think about what you'd like about FIT, don't just think about the internship aspect. Make a pro/con list. Don't switch right away just because SCAD doesn't have the same opportunities as living in NYC. You are going to a pretty prestigious art college and that does help a bit. But also, if you are concerned about doing internships it's always possible to get internships in NYC during the summer. That way you can still go to SCAD and intern. And during the school year you could always just intern with a smaller company in Savannah, it may not always be your ideal internship but as long as you are learning from the job then that's whats important. You can always apply what you learned at these internships to your summer internships and later on to your job.

Also, you mention that you would have to take out loans, which might not be the greatest thing. But if you do like FIT more then SCAD and whatnot then, I'd go for it. Just make sure you know what you want and that you have a plan to pay back loans. ^_^

At the moment I am in my second year of uni in UK, studying Film and French, which are more of a passion for me, but fashion is my main interest. I'm trying to improve my editing, styling and generally my fashion knowledge all the time, I read tons of blogs and magazines, I try to get in touch with people who know more than me, so generally I'm doing my best, taking in consideration the fact that Aberdeen, where I live, is the oil capital of Europe=not a very fashionable place(though amazing education!).
I am already starting to think about my future, especially masters and where I want to go after, and I was thinking that London and Paris would be the best choices, with either Fashion Journalism or Styling. Any suggestions?

For now I have to chance to go back for next summer to Romania, my country of origin, and have an internship in a fashion magazine (maybe Elle, Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, I'm not sure yet). I was wondering if doing this there may help me if I want to get another internship after at the same magazine, in London let's say, or generally in Europe, or it just doesn't count.
Also, I've been trying to look for a thread which talks about fashion editor as a career and all I could find was Anna Wintour or other editors, but nothing in the career section. Could anyone please point me in the right direction, please? Maybe I'm blind :D Or at least, what advice would you give me about my desire of being a fashion editor, taking in consideration the fact that I will be living for 2 more years in Scotland. Maybe something online? I don't know, I'm quite confused, but I feel like it's the moment to jump into it, not just admire other people for doing it :smile:

London or Paris .... or Milan, Antwerp and of course, New York are all fashion cities ... so evenually you will need to end up on one of them, if you want a career in fashion that is more than just small local stuff. Not sure where the best schools are ... but I think LCF is one of the best ones. We have a thread for that ... London College of Fashion.

Fashion journalism ... is still just journalism .... writing and reporting .... so any good Jounalism school will help ... you don't have to specialize in fashion while in school. In fact, I don't think there are really any really good "fashion jounralism" schools ... it's a bit of a farce, IMHO. First you become a journalist, then specialize in whatever interests you ... at least that is what I beleive is the best course.

Here are a few threads about "fashion" journalism:
Fashion Journalism
Freelance Fashion Journalism
So You Wanna Work in Fashion Editorial /Journalism? Article.
MA Fashion Journalism @ London College of Fashion
Fashion Design Colleges /Schools with Journalism programs /courses?

A "fashion editor" is actually a stylist who works for a magazine, as opposed to being a freelance stylist. Ana Wintour is a Managing Editor of a fashion magazine ... a different job altogether ... it's management at the executive level. The only thing they have in common is the need to have a good eye for fashion.

Getting a job as a fashion editor is not a straight forward career path. It's almost always who you know at the magazine and of course the talent and drive to do the hard work it takes. Many fashion editors have no formal "fashion" education ... they come from a liberal arts background. Fashion Editors are not journalists ... they don't write ... so that's not necessary either.

But, anything you can learn about fashion, art and even social science can help, because fashion editors need to know trends and societal influences. I beleive that any education you get can be helpful ... at least liberal arts stuff. Therefore, your French and your Film classes can help build your store of knowledge needed in this job.

There are threads about this ... but it's more about getting a job at a fashion magazine so you can get your foot in the door.

Careers / Jobs / Positions in Magazine Publishing
What Education is Needed to get into Magazines / Publishing?
How to Get Work in Fashion Magazine Publishing (see Post #1 for related threads)
Shooting Stories for a Stylist's /Fashion Editor's Portfolio

And this one ... which is helpful if you are going to assist either via an internship or get hired to assist a fashion editor:
Working as an Assistant (for a Magazine, Publicist, Photographer, Stylist, etc.)

Thank you so much BetteT your answer is very helpful! And thank you for all the links that you showed me!
And of course that I am planning to move to one of these cities, but so far I'm stuck in Aberdeen for another 2 years and a half. And in a way I want to plan my 'escape' because I don't want to move to London or NY without any kind of experience or without knowing what to do, where to go.
Once again thanks a lot!:heart:

What are the best fashion job sites?

Can someone recommend job sites that particularly cater to fashion related jobs? I am especially interested in jobs located in Europe.

Thanks! xx

I'm experienced but want to break into Digital Fashion

I have about 5-7 years professional experience, and have worked with some of the top advertising firms in NYC, but don't have in depth experience with fashion marketing.

My professional experience is really good and I'm able to land Digital Marketing interviews at some great non-fashion companies (think AOL, Digitas, Disney, The New York Times, etc...).

My first love is digital and back when I started out in my career "digital fashion" wasn't as numerous as it is today.

How do I break into the digital aspect of the fashion industry? I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall at landing interviews or getting TAKEN SERIOUSLY. I also feel like I NEED to work in digital fashion to feel like I'm doing something I seriously love.

Any advice appreciated. :smile:

xx

I merged your thread into the existing thread that we have for this type of question ... we try to keep similar questions in one place.

I wish I could offer some real advice ... but I don't actually know what the job is that you are applying for. I'm assuming that "digital fashion" is just graphic arts or something.

However ... it's very well known that for most creative jobs in fashion, you have to know someone to get in ... need to be connected somehow. There are thousands of people chomping at the bit to get a jobs at fashion companies, designers, fashion magazines, etc. so you need the extra boost of having someone with an in who will recommend you.

That is why fashion college students intern ... to make those contacts. But, if you are not in college, you will have to find another way in. It's not easy ... but I suggest to network with fashion people who work at the companies you'd like to work for. Or take a lesser job, just to get in ... whatever it takes.

Here's a short discussion that might interest you:

Hi Bette, thanks so much for your response!
By "digital fashion" I meant for myself something like Digital Marketing Manager/Project Manager/Web Producer. When I started out my first love was all things INTERNET, I loved the internet and wanted to work for companies that were progressive and involved with digital innovation in general (connecting people, beautiful user interfaces, smart content). But as clothing brands and fashion publications started catching on that the best way to market is online, there are now more than ever before departments focusing solely on digital efforts. And I want to be entrenched in these digital efforts! That's my story.
So I guess the best way to do this is to network? I was thinking of doing something as crazy as doing an unpaid internship in digital marketing for a fashion publication/brand, in order to make those connections and get the experience. But it's crazy because of my background, and I could get a well paying job working in NON-fashion.
Blah.
/thinking out loud

Aren't there firms that do this for clients? If so, do any of them specialize in the "fashion" clients?

They, in themselves, would not be in fashion, but if you worked at a company like this on some of their fashion accounts, it might help you in 2 ways. One, to be able to put the client's names on your resume (in that you did work for such and such companies). And two, you might have some client contact (fashion clients). That would be a great way to network. They would get to know both you and your work and you could snoop around and see if they knew of any companies that had in house digital design/tech departments who might need your talents ... and you could ask them for referrals too. Just a thought .....

^Thats another school that I've been thinking about. I visited the campus a few years when my cousin was at school and it's one of the prettiest I've ever seen. Also, family connections always help, right? :wink:And they have a creative writing degree and film too. So I wouldn't feel the pressure to choose completely right away. Another school I've been looking at is NYU. They have journalism/writing as well. And it's quite liberal arts based.

And I think if I don't get into any schools in New York then Boston is okay as well. So Emerson college is another possibility.

Talking about NYU.. I applied to NYU last week, with an economics major. Even though I want to work in the fashion industry, I've always wanted to take a more general major. For the fashion part... Living in the city that never sleeps will do the rest I guess (What do you guys think?). I only applied to big cities like NYC and LA for that reason (with the few exception of Boston for its studies-focused type of city)

is there like a website that cann guide you or some how tell you what career will be best for you? i dont know if it make sence. >_<

^i would want that website too. but I doubt that it would really help.

^

i know but just like to give an idea. if we are in the right track. or to help people make they decisions easier. ^_^

ok so, i've recently graduated in a BA in fashion journalism in london, and have always liked media & marketing

i'm now looking for a change and wanted to look for a masters or some sort of post graduate degree in nyc in the areas i'm interested in. could anyone advise me? right now i'm lost in the new school website and have requested every single brochure, i'm so confused!

is there like a website that cann guide you or some how tell you what career will be best for you? i dont know if it make sence. >_<
Not necessarily a guide to what career is best but College Board is fantastic when it comes to searching for colleges. You can search by majors/location of schools/gpa/etc. They also have part of the website which explains what certain majors are about. I used it in high school to find schools and now I'm using it again. Maybe it would help to search potential majors in order to discover a career? :flower:

http://www.collegeboard.org/

help! which internship?

This might be somewhat pointless since it ultimately depends on what I really want to do for the rest of my life. The problem is that I really, really don't know right now, and it seems like I need to somehow make a decision this week. So any opinions or advice from people who have entered the industry about what would be a better career move would be appreciated!

I am a fashion design major currently interested in the possibilities of graphic design related to fashion, fashion design research and development, and graduate school for fashion history only if I can get a scholarship. This is my last summer before I graduate, and so I feel pressure that how I spend this summer will have a large influence on what I do after I graduate.

Currently I have the following options:

A) a 1-2 day internship with the Museum at FIT, helping them research/curate the fall exhibition which is closely related to my senior thesis topic

:cool: a 3-4 day marketing internship with 80%20 the shoe company, where I would be doing some graphic design.

C) a 5 day graphic design internship with Ralph Lauren in their PAID design internship program

D) (not confirmed yet/haven't heard back so not definite) a 4 day graphic design internship with Barneys

In a perfect world, the Ralph Lauren internship would be 4 days a week and I could do it and FIT. Right now, my ideal situation is Barneys and FIT, but they refuse to answer my emails (I'm going to try calling them tomorrow).
So I basically need to decide between FIT and 80%20, or Ralph Lauren.

I was really excited for Ralph Lauren, the chance to be part of a structured program with a lot of other interns and things like speaker series and intern events is very appealing to me, it would be great experience/look great on my resume, and it's paid. They also often look to hire their interns. However, I tried talking to them and they can't let me do 4 days/week, so I couldn't do FIT.

I feel ridiculous turning down FIT since its such a rare opportunity. They usually only offer internships to grad students, but I was able to talk to an alumnus who works there about how their exhibit related to my thesis. I only want to go to grad school if I can get a scholarship, and this would probably make me a really good candidate. It would also help me decide whether or not I want to pursue this route, because I'm currently not sure.

But, if I take FIT, as of now, my only option is 80%20, which is a nice company, very, very small. But it's a marketing internship, which involves some graphic design but also more mundane excel spreadsheet/number crunching type things that I don't really want to do. There's no real way of telling how much of which I would be doing. It also seems more likely that I could get stuck doing assistant-type work/typical intern things that I have already done than I would be at a structured program like Ralph Lauren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->