• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Fashion Marketing

Berkleigh also has a course on Fashion Marketing- an AAS. What are thoughts on this? It seems to be the same course that Parsons offer

Hiya!

I'm a fashion marketing & business freak based in London and study tons about the fashion industry in the UK.

If anyone is interested in knowing about this industry please contact me. I can give you general guidance FOR FREE with:
- Womenswear, accessories
- Online fashion retail
- Green and ethical clothing
- New products, services, technologies
- Consumers trends, U&A's, lifestyles
- Industry trends
- Competitors
- Fashion business and marketing

Does anyone have a PDF of the Mintel Online Fashion UK 2009 report they can email to me ? It is a very comprehensive market research report. Thank you

If you are in the UK and you can't afford to pay for it perhaps you can access the latest report (april 2010) for free*! :woot: You can also have a free* look on the the online clothing and footwear UK report (march 2011)! :o

* It depends on who you are (business, student, consultant, etc.)

I also recommend these two books on the matter:

* Fashion Marketing, Blackwell Publishing, by Mike Easey
* Fashion Marketing, Thompson, Southwestern by Dotty Oelkers

HEY!^_^
Yesturday i went shopping downtown Montreal where i live and i talked with that girl from American Apparel. As we were talking, i learned that this girl almost brought all the American Apparel in NYC, Miami, etc.
She is amazing and only 26 of age. Anyway, my point is that i am a Fashion Marketing student at Lasalle College in Montreal.
All i hear from people of the industry is that i DONT need my College Diploma to start a career.It is pretty depressing. The girl from American Apparel told me she went to Lasalle before and she ended with no such jobs.Here is her advice: Go directly to University in a MARKETING degree and NOT a FASHION marketing program....She told me that once you get 30 years of age you are tired with working 7 days per week and work your butt off in the industry.A general marketing degree can lead you into fashion industry AND in the general marketing business too...
This is SO not the first time someone of the industry gives me these kind of advice..
what do you all think!?:blink:

I'd like to continue the conversation to say that a marketing career can also get you into the fashion because of its generalistic (business) nature. Usually, in recession times, when budgets are tight and hiring is limited, many organizations turn to generalists, looking for holistic and multidisciplinary approaches to solve business problems.

Hey guys,
I´m about to move from Sydney to Canada and want to pick up some work in a marketing field. I used to edit and take care of marketing for a fashion blog called Breakfast with Audrey in Aus and also for a online designer store called My Clothes Horse.

Problem is, I´m trying hard to find online stores and websites based in Toronto- their contact details dont seem to say their city and often their websites never end in .ca

I also wouldnt mind working in the marketing department for Elle Canadas online department but I can only seem to find jobs in their print department. Plus that Transcontinental Media website is just way too damn confusing!

Anyone able to help me with some website names/ people to contact / anything!

Thanks so much in advance xx

...Problem is, I´m trying hard to find online stores and websites based in Toronto- their contact details dont seem to say their city and often their websites never end in .ca...

It won't be easy to find that information aggregated on the internet. Not even apparel industry bodies (i.e. associations, federations) websites will show you contact information to that level of detail. :(

But you can try Toronto's popular The Clothing Show list of exhibitors. :wink: Check here, it has has direct links to their websites:
http://www.theclothingshow.com/vendors.asp

Canada's Yellow Pages shows you all the apparel retailers based in Toronto (it shows about 15 pages of results). You can easily tell if they have a website or not. B)
http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/?stype=si&showDD=true&what=apparel+%26+accessories&where=toronto&x=0&y=0

I would also try Google Maps Toronto. Search for related keywords (clothing, fashion, etc.) and map will show you tons of red spots. Click on each of them to find more information. Some of them are fashion retailers and have their websites right in there. :innocent:

Hello!
I'm a second year in college and I'm still undeclared. Anyway I really want to do pr/marketing in the fashion industry, but the problem is that it's too late for me to join the business program at my school. So a lot of people have told me that my best bet would be a minor in business marketing, with a major in one of the social sciences, such as sociology or cultural anthro because it emphasizes on group behavior, and would be helpful when it comes to marketing.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has gotten a degree in something similar? Is pursuing a minor in business marketing worth it, especially with a social science as a major?

Hello!
I'm a second year in college and I'm still undeclared. Anyway I really want to do pr/marketing in the fashion industry, but the problem is that it's too late for me to join the business program at my school. So a lot of people have told me that my best bet would be a minor in business marketing, with a major in one of the social sciences, such as sociology or cultural anthro because it emphasizes on group behavior, and would be helpful when it comes to marketing.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has gotten a degree in something similar? Is pursuing a minor in business marketing worth it, especially with a social science as a major?

Hi, vintagemuse!

When you said you want to do pr/marketing, you mean the part where you develop and maintain media relations across fashion stylists, journalists and editors? Where you plan and execute brand events (i.e. fashion shows, photo shoots, press days)? :huh:

Because, at least for me, business marketing sounds more like dealing with market research and the marketing mix (product development, pricing, promotion (including PR and advertising), and distribution), whilst aligning your marketing objectives with the business ones.

Anthropology or sociology are field studies related with market research (specially the part about understanding the consumer). And usually PR professionals receive consumer insight inputs through the brand's communications briefs (they don't do the market research job :innocent:).

tl;dr PR is a tiny part of marketing and doesn't deals directly with market research (a subject related to social science).

Yeah ... I agree with F0F0 ... PR is a different animal. It's definitely related to marketing ... it's part of the whole marketing process, but just a small one. Marketing is starting from the ground up, figuring out what the public wants and will buy, figuring out who your customer is, how to price your products to sell, and where to sell it and then how to advertise it, etc.

Because they are so different ... you need differen skills for each job.

Marekting requires very good math and business skills. It's mainly a behind the scenes job using statistics and numbers about market trends. It's projecting the future and making decisions for the company .. based on information you gather. It's basically a 9 to 5 job.

PR is "getting the word out" (by other means than paid advertising)... via press releases, sponsoring events, product placement, working with stylists for magazine editorials. The most important skills for PR is to be able to write well and to be able to network with important people and their "people". The hours are long and it's high stress.

We have a thread about Public Relations if you'd like to know more about that part of Marketing.

I just completed a Bachelor of Science (3 years) in Marketing, Communication a Global Markets at University of Milan. It is a general marketing course in a decent University. Now I'm about to start an internship in a small fashion brand, young but already competitive in market.
But I need further education to be considered by milan fashion companies.
Im looking for good business schools in Europe possibly fashion oriented, do you know any?? Also I don't know if after a 3 years degree in mktg it would be better to get a Master in Fashion MKTG or continuing with another 2 years degree in general mktg...

Anways, seeing how it goes here in Milan, if you wanna work for a fashion brand like Prada and such you'll need a proper business education, no Bachelor of Arts or LCF.
If i had the money I'd be applying to Bocconi Marketing Honor degree (i think that's the name of it, it's the 2 years of the 3+2 formula), and after that they have great MA and MBA in luxury management.

since I cant afford it I don't know what to do :(

About the MSc International Fashion Marketing. Do you have some information about it?

I've spent some time looking around the internet, I found out Edinburgh Business School also offers a MSc in Fashion Marketing and probably other universities as well. But I don't know if it's worthy to study in those cities than arent relevant to the business.
But still academically and in general English schools are among the best in Europe :S

Ciao, Alaska111!

Yes, there are almost 100 fashion schools to choose from all over the UK --including Central Saint Martins and London College of Fashion (both based in London). The overall level here is exceptional for your career development not to mention how good it is for networking with other professionals from sectors like media, creative and marketing (specially if you are based in London), how close it is to Paris and Milan (the other 2 major fashion capitals in Europe), and how "relative" good connected the local fashion industry is with its local graduates (there's loads of business support schemes for fashion entrepreneurs too). B)

Hope this link can help your UK research. See all fashion courses available for international students in all schools in the UK (starting 2011:(
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsru...eywordSearch.whereNext?query=254&word=FASHION

I can't suggest any in particular because, at the end of the day, even if you were to study in the best school of fashion in the world, or you were the most talented, awarded and visionary graduate fashion business person on planet earth, you won't get anywhere after your graduation with the right amount of luck, contacts, personal trait and skills, work experience, knowledge, money and ambition :wink:

Does anyone know what the salaries are like for people working in fashion marketing? What are some specific titles of positions people have who work in fashion marketing?

This fall I'm going to start studying for a BFA in fashion marketing at an art and design school. I'm investing a ton of money in my education because I truly have always loved marketing/advertising but also fashion and I just want to know if there actually people who make a good income working in this

Does anyone know what the salaries are like for people working in fashion marketing? What are some specific titles of positions people have who work in fashion marketing?

This fall I'm going to start studying for a BFA in fashion marketing at an art and design school. I'm investing a ton of money in my education because I truly have always loved marketing/advertising but also fashion and I just want to know if there actually people who make a good income working in this

Look for job vacancies published on the web and check for yourself the salaries (obviously wages will depend of the area, country, sector (textile design, fashion design, retail clothing, e-tail.), etc.

Look here for some examples of titles of positions:
http://www.retailchoice.com/
http://www.inretail.co.uk/
http://www.berkeley-search.com/
http://www.drapersjobs.com/
http://www.denza.co.uk/index.php/jobs/show/0/3
http://dailyfashionjobs.com/

Fashion Marketing and Marketing in general pays relatively little compared to other fields in the industry. First of all, the quintessence of marketing ( educationally seen) is not very demanding. It depends on the special subjects though. Most students want to have it simple + without mathematics and thus they study fashion marketing with emphasis on 'Fashion Ethics', 'Fashion History', 'Fashion Management' and get through easily. Salary related, they'll get by if they're lucky.
My former human resources prof (he used to be personnell manager of a German large scale enterprise) told me that he received more than 2k applications for only one job advertisement for marketing.
If study fashion marketing with emphasis on logistics, production and statistics etc, your situation on the job market will be totally different (the good kind of 'different') but these subjects are rather demanding and well.... 'dry'. Also note when studying marketing in general, you wil not often be involved in the creative process of an advertisement campaign unless you're lucky.

Does anyone know about the MA courses in Polimoda? Do they have a good reputation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->