Gift Ideas

Theory

Reaction score
So I have one or two sales associates that I literally couldn't live without. They keep me informed about sales, hold stuff for me, give me discounts if it the item is excluded, get me free alterations, have good general chit-chat and overall go out of their way to make my shopping experience pleasurable.

Now I know some of you will say, well my gift to them is increasing their sales performance, but I'd like to do something a bit extra....naturally I thought of a giftcard, but it seems so impersonal and easy...but I'm not completely averse to the idea...I've just never done this before and wondered what others have done/do in such a situation...Thanks!

Back when I was working as a sales associate, I woulda gratefully accepted a gift card. You dont know them THAT personally, they could pick out what they wanted... no?

That's very nice of you, Theory. I'm sure they'd appreciate anything you give them. I doubt customers do this often.

Why can't I have more customers like you? Male or female? Not that that really matters, but I think a nice candle makes a great gift for somebody you don't know that well. Try Tocca (large is better than small) or Dyptique, skip Votivo (too smokey).
Last holiday, one of my regulars was coming from the coffee shop on the next block and brought a coffee and cookie to me and it really made my day. Unexpected gifts are always great, regardless of cost.

Originally posted by purechris@Nov 5 2004, 11:01 AM
Why can't I have more customers like you? Male or female? Not that that really matters, but I think a nice candle makes a great gift for somebody you don't know that well. Try Tocca (large is better than small) or Dyptique, skip Votivo (too smokey).
Last holiday, one of my regulars was coming from the coffee shop on the next block and brought a coffee and cookie to me and it really made my day. Unexpected gifts are always great, regardless of cost.
[snapback]418920[/snapback]​

Yea, male or female is also my first question.

Candles are a great idea. CDG also makes nice scented candles (I have :P ).

who are these salespeople and where are they?...

i NEVER get service like that... :blink:
sounds like a dream...maybe it's because i shop at too many different places ...you sound like a very loyal customer...

i have to say...i get a lot of random gifts from pr firms, etc...and the best ones are either gift cards or spa treatments...

some people do like the diptyque candles too...and i have a slew of tocca bath and body products as chris suggested...but i really think that is even more impersonal...

I'd definitely go for a gift-card over a candle, unless you know for sure that he or she is a candle person.

The sales associate who is great happens to be a man....I know how hypersensitive some men can be, so I dunno if I would get another man a candle. I personally couldn't care about perceptions, but I am aware that others do....

Soft I am surprised you don't find good service...it's true I am very loyal as I will spot the item in another store and give him a buzz to find out if they will be carrying it...I will also only strictly purchase items from him if I am there. He knows my style and when stuff comes in that he thinks I would like, he gives me a buzz......also informs me of all the sales/presales/private sales/employee discount days and hooks me up...I hardly ever pay full price even on new items.....but I do buy a lot....I mean a ton......

Maybe a Starbucks giftcard....:unsure:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I wasn't sure how to approach it...I know its his job but considering how horrible the service is some places, great service is defintely a plus.....and deserves a reward..(leaving positive feedback about him, etc.).

a gift card to Starbucks, Blockbuster or a bookstore (B&N, Borders, amazon.com) would be great.

Originally posted by kealoha@Nov 6 2004, 06:24 AM
a gift card to Starbucks, Blockbuster or a bookstore (B&N, Borders, amazon.com) would be great.
[snapback]420349[/snapback]​
Amazon.com is a really good idea. That way, the recipient could choose from a ton of different items.

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 7 2004, 01:44 AM
Amazon.com is a really good idea. That way, the recipient could choose from a ton of different items.
[snapback]421214[/snapback]​

yeah... because Starbucks is kind of limited...

What about a ticketmaster.com gift certificate? I actually bought one for a very good sales person I was dealing with at Marc Jacobs last year--similar situtation to yours. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/2700387DAB50528F

You can get them in a wide variety of amounts and I think it is better than just getting someone a coffe or book gift card.

I like the Starbucks idea. But yeah, it is limited. I think something dealing with food would be nice... I mean, most people like food, right?

I also need to do this for my girl at Miu Miu..... I want to avoid looking too pretentious... maybe just a card? perhaps one of my generic christmas cards from hermes?

I think an Amazon giftcard would be nice, although sometimes there are people w/o net access...those American Express giftcards look nifty you can spend them wherever.

Also some people...like me for example do not like coffee...it stains your teeth, leaves your breath less then fresh, and the only stuff they have that tastes all right has so much fat and calories. :sick:

perhaps one of my generic christmas cards from hermes?

For some reason the idea of a generic Hermès card really amuses me...

Originally posted by marcj@Nov 7 2004, 05:08 PM
I also need to do this for my girl at Miu Miu..... I want to avoid looking too pretentious... maybe just a card? perhaps one of my generic christmas cards from hermes?
[snapback]422058[/snapback]​
what is pretentious about giving someone a gift...?
and i don't think a card would be quite the same thing...although still a nice gesture... :P :flower:

Originally posted by Amara@Nov 8 2004, 01:02 AM
I think an Amazon giftcard would be nice, although sometimes there are people w/o net access...those American Express giftcards look nifty you can spend them wherever.
[snapback]422651[/snapback]​

i second that :flower: you can spend it on whatever you need then, coffe, books, candles, clothes, whatever...

ahhh you guys are making me dissatisfied with mine! hmm would just a card or a nice thank you note be kinda eh..?

well sure a card is nice but in the end it's just a piece of paper. it's more something i'd send a distant relative or someone that i know and appreciate but i'm not as close to. sure you're not that close to the sales person but they do a lot for you(as in theory's case). i'd rather give something that the person could use

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->