Giorgio Armani - passe and irrelevant ?

kit

Reaction score
Courtesy of my off-topic ramblings elsewhere :blush: , may I propose a new thread on Armani ?

It has intrigued me that no one has seen fit to post a thread on the Women's Giorgio Armani Black Label A/W 05/06 , puffball bloomers and all !!!

Is this a sign of his increasing irrelevance in ' fashion ' ?

Is he ' luxury ' rather than ' of the minute ' ?

I always pay attention to the men's Black Label and Emporio labels , as they represent purely Italian reserved chic - safe but ' happening ' at the same time and Dolce e Gabbana have cornered the ' footballers' chic ' market nowadays .

Who but the appalling Ann Robinson wears Armani Black Label now ?

He sells more rtw than any other designer in the world .

Is this fact an irrelevance ?

Please discuss !

You started the thread! :D

This is what I wrote on the other thread about this, I'll repeat :flower:

Arturo21 said:
That's why I dislike Armani so much! It's extremely, extremely commercial. Also, it's boring and, imo, it's only for people with lots of money and no taste who just want to look expensive. The only thing that keeps most rappers off Armani is that it's not obnoxiously flashy and there is no BLING BLING!

No thankyou, I'd take Ann D, Rick Owens, Spastor, Cloak, or anything from any designer who actually has originality and talent.

Like Faust said, Armani is luxury rather than fashion.

armani belongs to the fashion history...years ago,every year I like him less

so over....might be time to pull an yves sl.... :wink:

Armani is so pointless. It seems like he chooses random clothes (those f-ing Bloomers) and puts them on the runway hoping people will think he's a fashion visonary, much like Lagerfeld, but he isn't.

Armani makes ultra-boring well-made clothes, everything Armani I don't like. Except maybe Emporio, sometimes, but Armani Exchange is soo trashy it should be D&G Exchange.

Diorling said:
Armani is so pointless. It seems like he chooses random clothes (those f-ing Bloomers) and puts them on the runway hoping people will think he's a fashion visonary, much like Lagerfeld, but he isn't.

Armani makes ultra-boring well-made clothes, everything Armani I don't like. Except maybe Emporio, sometimes, but Armani Exchange is soo trashy it should be D&G Exchange.

I take all you members' points . :flower:

( Actually , Armani A/X has nothing to do with Giorgio , except for the name . It is a licence , to a Japanese firm , and I believe , only sold in the USA .)

Please note :o

Only ONE thread with the same name . :lol:

I hope . :unsure:

kit said:
I take all you members' points . :flower:

( Actually , Armani A/X has nothing to do with Giorgio , except for the name . It is a licence , to a Japanese firm , and I believe , only sold in the USA .)

Please note :o

Only ONE thread with the same name . :lol:

I hope . :unsure:

Oh, ok. It makes more sense because A/X is has that trying to be edgy European look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Armani exchange is sold in the Americas (U.S. and South America, I know because it is really hot in Venezuela, for some reason, although now Diesel and Marithe Francois Girbaud have taken over there, much to my dismay), and also Hong Kong. I don't know where else in Asia.

^Exactly. He does what his clients want. I can't stand his stuff recently, though. The last couple shows I saw (Emporio was one of them) were mind-bogglingly bad.

I will always consider Mr. Armani a classic, and I still love his designs.

you can't say he's irrelevant, not with his legacy and the way he changed the industry. He was one of the first to introduce side lines to his main line and to use the film industry to sell his clothes. His organization and the professionalism are impressive, believe me; when you sit down in his catwalk theatre you feel a certain vibe that can't be described. He is an icon and although I've never felt much for his clothes you can't say he is passé.
Having said that, I agree the company is more about luxury than about revolution but aren't many of the fashion houses? Many, and sadfull more every season, are making designs that please the shareholders, in short: sell well. The company has to watch out not to become too repetitive and cover up the designs with flashy campaigns and beautiful stores... they need a new creative wave: true.
The money machine is a sad movement that made Helmut Newton and Jil Sander resign... Some said: why is McQueen so 'dull' this season? Hence the Gucci group wants to see some money coming in... in the end, it's the flagship store's pay desk that counts.

i agree with all of you, armani today offers nothing to the fashion fans that want some creativity, in my case i don´t even take the time to see his entire collections on style.com because they are always so long that only too think about going trough all of that perfectly taylored simplicity bores me... i also always have heared that he is the king of the jacketts but he couldn´t do more horrible pants... and although he is not moving the crowd this days he surely want´s too because in my opinnion his hc collection is an example of the attention they are seeking... why else would have he transported his people and created a show that was lacking on newness to paris haute couture week?, everybody knows that the dresses of his privé collection aren´t strict couture pieces (they don´t follow the stiff rules of the couture union, and they cost much less) but he was happily accepted because of all the extra publicity he brought to the unfortunatelly always more decadent couture week, that to me proves that what he really want´s is to get notoriety instead of becoming a successful couturier (at the age of 70 when you already are the biggest seller of luxurious rtw in the world)...

j´adore dior said:
i agree with all of you, armani today offers nothing to the fashion fans that want some creativity, in my case i don´t even take the time to see his entire collections on style.com because they are always so long that only too think about going trough all of that perfectly taylored simplicity bores me... i also always have heared that he is the king of the jacketts but he couldn´t do more horrible pants... and although he is not moving the crowd this days he surely want´s too because in my opinnion his hc collection is an example of the attention they are seeking... why else would have he transported his people and created a show that was lacking on newness to paris haute couture week?, everybody knows that the dresses of his privé collection aren´t strict couture pieces (they don´t follow the stiff rules of the couture union, and they cost much less) but he was happily accepted because of all the extra publicity he brought to the unfortunatelly always more decadent couture week, that to me proves that what he really want´s is to get notoriety instead of becoming a successful couturier (at the age of 70 when you already are the biggest seller of luxurious rtw in the world)...

His couture collection was basically his ready-to-wear and it wasn't even remotely the "fantasy" he was saying that his couture would be. Giorgio, dear, little wire swirls covered with glitter look crazy, if you backed up that idea with inspiration you'd seem truly artistic.

His clothes are well-made but Id never buy an Armani suit, Id prefer Gucci, Dior, Prada or McQueen.

Arturo21 said:
Armani exchange is sold in the Americas (U.S. and South America, I know because it is really hot in Venezuela, for some reason, although now Diesel and Marithe Francois Girbaud have taken over there, much to my dismay), and also Hong Kong. I don't know where else in Asia.

Please don't knock Marithe et Francois Girbaud :cry: :cry: :cry: , as they are one of my all-time favourites , just oozing typical French chic .

As with Armani A/X , Girbaud have licencees in different countries ( in the USA , I think it is a firm called Jacobs ) , and they water down the essential Girbaud flavour . In Spain , Girbaud is manufactured by Twenty-Barcelona , and the styles are much simplified from the originals made in Italy by Stefanel and others .
This is probably the same in the USA , Venezuela and other South American countries + countries like Australia etc .

I'm NOT going off-topic in my OWN thread :blush: , it's just that like Armani , one can take long-standing names for granted .
I have some beautiful Girbaud COMPAGNIE DES MONTAGNES ET DES FORETS leathers and many of thir esoteric and quirky jeans which are utterly timeless . Likewise with my Armani pieces .

There's both good and bad in everything . B)

I don't see why fashion always has to be original and renewing. Many brands that are constantly trying to be 'original', are in my opinion designing many pathetic pieces that are purely created to attract the eye of fashion victims.
What's wrong with brands that perhaps do not always design extremely extravagant clothes, but clothes that are stylish and that can actually be worn, both casual and formal?
Why the need to show people that you're "into fashion and full of great taste" by wearing clothes that are screaming "look at me, I'm in need of attention, and better yet, look at the 30 brand names that cover my shirt! I AM ORIGINAL!".

I'd say you're better off with a really stylish shirt or dress that actually reflects your style -doesn't mean it can't be fashionable!-, instead of copying anything some designer idiots do. Sure, there are tons of designers that design fashionable pieces that will look good on you, but no need to walk the streets with the most sick looking pieces just because that's what's hot according to designers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimble
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->