Halston (Netflix Series)

aracic

Staff member
Reaction score
So, Ryan Murphy seems to be coming out with a new limited series about the legendary Halston. It's starring Ewan McGregor as Halston, coming out May 14 and the trailer alone looks amazing! I personally can't wait to binge this.

Can't wait to see it too! Ewan McGregor looks absolutely perfect in this.

Can't wait for this! Saw his documentary and his life was something else add onto that studio 54, his muses and famous friends etc.

Very much looking forward to this, and hit the 'Remind Me' tab instantly on Netflix! I always find Ryan Murphy's productions to be done to a high standard, so I have on doubt this will be executed perfectly. Bring on the 14th!

Suggestion | If you haven’t already watched Frédéric Tcheng’s Halston and M2M’s Battle at Versailles then you might like to before this.

If nothing else, you can always count on Ryan Murphy shows have stunning visuals and great performances. Didn’t care for the Halston doc from a few years ago, but very much looking forward to this. Ewan’s accent sounds iffy but I love him typically so I’m gonna keep an open mind

Loved it! Is it okay to discuss the series yet or just list off notes I have in my head? I don’t know if that will be spoiling it for others?

If you haven't watched the documentary, here's an excellent article Vogue just released chronicling his life and achievements. There was also a written interview between Hamish Bowles, Ryan Murphy and Tom Ford.

Halfway through the second ep and quite enjoying it, mostly for the visual aspect. Some stunning scenes.

What an insufferable series... I officially gave up 10 minutes into the fourth episode, I don't care if there are one or two left, I refuse to dedicate more of my time on this junk, it's not even entertaining as a backdrop while cooking lol. Can't with the accents, the ~serious fashion business~ dialogues every 5 minutes, the 'um yes dahling, you're a GENIUS, EVERYONE L-O-V-E-S EVERYTHING you do' 'hmm Halston, you will CHANGE the face of fashion' 'you will be the BEST in the world' ... just give me a break with the superlatives.

There's no story.. just, yeah, some mildly sensationalist details fished out of his life that are not remotely captivating, no real context or even a coherent, non-superficial beginning as a designer (as in, before the hats), let alone enough emphasis on his impact (practicality when there was little!). The flashbacks to his childhood feel so forced and almost irrelevant. Came from a mid 20th century household where mom was trapped and dad was abusive? boohoo, so did everyone, probably enticing enough for the gen z 'instagram psychologists' but not good enough for a story or strong enough to engage the viewer into the profound experience of.. creating a fragrance.

I feel like with this series, you must either love looove fashion and either work or aspire to work in it, or know nothing about it so it looks like a fascinating, far away world. I'm somewhere in the middle, but in general, I think I like my fashion stories told a bit more thoughtfully.. I should've remembered I was not a fan of Glee, the Versace story seemed like learning about what happened... via the Daily Mail, and yeah, this is what you get from these type of producers.

Thanks for that awesome compilation, MMA! far more interesting than the series.. the Peretti jewelry. *drools*:heart::heart:

I have watched the first two episodes but gave up.
I recommend watching the two documentaries on Halston instead.

I watched it over the weekend. I didn't hate it, it was entertaining at times, but overall it felt so shallow. It was like they just read some chunks of a wikipedia page and wrote the script from it. There was no deeper exploration of Halston as a person, or any other character, or the society and industry he inhabited. Ultimately it was a waste of potential.

The casting was great, the acting was very good, they did the best with what they were given. And of course the costumes and production design (particularly the office and the townhouse).

Reactions: KoV
I'm giving it time after watching half an episode, waiting for the hype to fade out and gather some strength because...in general biographical series/films bore me to dead, I find them very trite and you can see every turn five miles away, so I wil probably watch it while I do something else. I'm also a bit of a snob and the overly simplified plots Murphy favors are not my cup of tea and I did cringe twice in the little time I spent watching.

I'm hoping I like it more than the Versace series, which was not at all about Versace even if that was the marketing ploy...

Looks gorgeous but my God, there’s little joy and no depth to be found in this at all. I actually wish Ryan Murphy had been more involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nelliewillshowuhowitsdone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->