Harper's Bazaar France April 2024 : Kaia Gerber by Alasdair McLellan

Watching some of it, I kept thinking how from the Kaia Ed to the Jeans story, these stories would fit perfectly on M le Monde!
And I’m not talking a fashion issue of M le Monde but a regular one with a cute fashion Ed.

There’s no vision in this Harper’s Bazaar. They are just taking Bolloré’s money for nothing!

The reality is that this Bazaar is probably in the best position ever compared to a lot of fashion magazines. They have billionaire owner who bought the franchise to strengthen his media empire and who pours money. They don’t have any type of high pressure regarding circulation because they are a « new title ». And they can attract big talents!
With this team of big names, all we got is a lackluster title recycling it own concepts.

Unfortunately, I think that Bollore just wanted to mimic or build from the demise of VP so he called the old staff who probably suggested the whole team.

If M&M, Fabien Baron or Thomas Lenthal were involved, I think quality and risk taking would have been in this title. This is super generic and I don’t know for how long they will manage to make it work…

Ps: Anyone knows where the black bag in the « Le Jean dans La peau » comes from?

Last edited:
The cover story featuring Kaia by McLellan is lovely. I love a few of the portraits. McLellan has become a hit or a miss, but this story is a hit and appeals to me. Also, the fashion editorial featuring Ella and Arthur by Johnson is well executed.

The cover reminds me of Alexandra Shulman's British Vogue. It's filled with vibrant colors, but it doesn't look tacky at all. I love it!

Now for the test shoots editorials...

I was wondering what was off with Kaias modeling of late, its the hair. That colour doesnt work for her modeling it works for movies. It woudl only work for modeling with extra volume and curly, her modeling work always looks better with much darker hair I guess this is in tune with the show and the era its set in.

I have recently subscribed a whole year of Bazaar France through a newsagent. It's a bit difficult to find this title here, I heard from the newsagent that the supply chain is quite limited and since it's a relatively new title, the sales is not big enough (compared to titles such as Vogue or Bazaar US). So not many agents is carrying this title, yet. I want to give it a try so I subscribe.

I agree the content of this issue is not that exciting but somehow I find it acceptable. Maybe my bar is so low now I could take this rather than the endlessly-reprinted/shared content of Vogues. This is officially my substitute for the lost Vogue Paris, even similar in the "formulaic and boring" aesthetic (lol). I do hope they take some more risks and the art direction could be elevated more. The current problem is also very similar to what problem Emmanuelle Alt's Vogue Paris has: every story shares very one-toned aesthetic/styling approach. They need to bring people who speak different styling languages. I would love to see Suzanne Koller contribute to this title, one can only dream, although I am grateful that we still have Self Service to be appreciated.

Hermès​

it's the Black Box Mini Della Cavalleria with Gold Hardware from 2023.
I’ve spent maybe the last decade showing up at the Hermes store without asking for a bag and now, thanks to HB, I’ll ask to look at a bag ahaha!
Thank you!

I think Kaia it's beautiful, but she has a boring expression. I liked the rest of the editorials specially the styling on all of them.

Another win of a Harper's Bazaar France cover, IMO. Always been here for Kaia Gerber and I absolutely love the simplicity of the cover. The vibrancy of the background teamed with the orange masthead was such a great move, which helps the simple setup of McLellan's studio setup immensely. A 10/10 from me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bastianvek
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->