Harper's Bazaar - Worldwide

Reaction score
Moderator's Note:
The following editions of Harper’s Bazaar always get their own threads:
US, UK, Australia, Brazil, Spain, Russia, Turkey

You can post covers and editorials from all other worldwide editions in this thread but feel free to start individual threads for any issue of any of the worldwide editions if they contain original content.

Thank you! :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
there are too many texts on the cover!!

But I do like the title editorial `Hot in the City!! Maggie Q looked good on here.....don`t know about the swimsuit on her but nevertheless....nice!!

yeah quite a bit of text but maggie q seriously looks hot!

Harper's Bazaar - South East Asian Editions

this month, bazaar did a profile on daria, some editorials on lily donaldson, and they did an article on the margherita missoni, there's a little article on lily cole, and a full article on the chanel haute couture show held in hong kong which they interviewed karl lagerfeld. if anyone wants the article typed out or printed, let me know.

Thanx a lot for the scan!!Bazaar singapore has some cool covers - and I noticed they are using also some unknown girls.

non top model girls just leands an aura of mystery to the shoots, and give it a rather fresher appeal. that's why i like it.

From what I have seen on this forum this magazine has some nice issues. I would love to have the option of picking one up once in a while but I have yet to find it in my area.

Thanks so much for the scans :smile:

singapore bazzar is always good!
love all the pic n especially the cover!

I am very proud to announce that I bought a copy of this issue of Harper's Bazaar Singapore. I bought it on a whim because I was attracted by the Anglomania article (I was even more surprised when I discovered later when scrutinising the editorial shots that it was Lily Donaldson!) There's also an article about Daria Werbowy and the ad she did for Lancôme's Hypnôse perfume. I love it so much I'm going to post it here:

Lancôme Presents: Object of desire

Alluringly beautiful, yet surprisingly warm and sensual, Lancôme's new fragrance Hypnôse is perfectly embodied by its muse, Daria Werbowy.

Just as supermodels Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista have become icons of the '90s, then the new millenium must belong to Daria Werbowy. The assuming willowy, 22-year-old Canadian beauty burst into the fashion scene three years ago on the runways for the most coveted labels, and is now one of the most recognisable faces in the international fashion arena. But it was her smouldering, feline eyes and sensual grace that caught the attention of Lancôme. Like its new fragrance Hypnôse, Werbowy is a study in surprising, contrasting elements. Her appeal is both deeply personal, yet universal. Her beauty is intimate, seductive and irresistibly radiant, just like the fragrance. In a word - hypnotic.

We invite you for a sneak peek behind the scenes at the making of the worldwide ad campaign for Hypnôse in Prague, to witness seduction in motion.

Day 1, 11am
Dress rehearsals with renowned choreographer Blanca Li starts. Li has been working with Werbowy and her partner for several weeks now. The supermodel displays a definite talent for dancing and moving her body naturally. Shooting for the first scenes of the ad starts at noon. Director Javier Vallhonrat is bowled over by Werbowy: "She is incredibly photogenic," he told Li in-between takes. "She has such a genuine, natural presence. It's dazzling."

Day 2, 12pm
Filming is in full swing. Werbowy is dancing in front of the camera, spinning gracefully, her dress producing a myriad of hypnotising light effects on the surround mirrors. She is both sensual and liberated. Li leaves her free to improvise. The entire crew is completely spellbound.

Day 3, the last day of the shoot
The final scenes include the most demanding dance sequences. A professional dancer is ready to stand in for Werbowy, but she is so immersed in the film she does them all herself - perfectly. Applause rings out for Werbowy and Vallhonrat after the shot is "in the can". Though exhausted, Werbowy spontaneously decides to join the crew for a celebratory dinner. Tonight, she is absolutely radiant.

There's also a full profile article on Daria Werbowy which I will post later. There is also a little section titled "Werbowy's Beauty Secrets" which I will post later.

As a tribute to all Darialogists (and as a bribe to get myself into their ranks :D), I present to you the full article on Daria Werbowy.

Bazaar Beauty Profile: Daria Werbowy

A Thing of Beauty. Daria Werbowy's meteoric rise to supermodel-dom is topped with her recently inked contract with beauty giant Lancôme, but she isn't about to ditch her tomboy past for the red-carpet life just yet. By Josephine Fairley.

Rugby. It's an unlikely sport for a supermodel who's just landed a plum multi-year contract with an über-make-up brand (Lancôme), joining a long and distinguished list of faces (Isabella Rosselini, Uma Thurman and Lizzie JAgger). Okay, so we're talking women's rugby - but don't kid yourself that's in any way a fluffy version. Throwing back her head, 22-year-old WErbowy laughs: "I think girls are worse - hair-pulling, pinching ... You know how competitive women can be - our cat instincts come out. We had ambulances at virtually every match." Actually, in between modelling assignments, Werbowy - who's moved to the fashion epicentre of Manhattan from Ontario - is currently searching for a local league, so she can keep up her favourite sport. Suggest that a broken nose might not be such a smart career move for a girl who's just won the supermodel lottery, and she answers, with perfect seriousness: "Oh, you can't stop doing things because of your job. I still snowboard; I still throw myself off ski jumps and land in a tangle. I sailed all the time and skateboarded when I was a kid and was a total tomboy, so I can't shake that off ..."

Werbowy should be allowed her indulgences, perhaps (even if they are on the dangerous side). She's modelled since age nine - "catalogues, extra work, mostly". Then at 14, the willowy, cornflower-blue-eyed beauty won a modelling competition; the prize was a contract with the prestigious agency IMG Models New York. At 17, after high school, Werbowy was ready to take up modelling full-time, hitting the catwalks during the exact same week that two planes flew into the World Trade Centre. But after that somewhat inauspicious start, she's now working non-stop, starring in fashion campaigns for Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent, Ridley Scott's commercial for Prada, and runway appearances for you-name-it-they've-booked-her: Versace, Fendi, Burberry, Calvin Klein - and on and on and on ... "I sometimes feel like a 22-year-old trapped in a 40-year-old's life!" smiles Werbowy, somewhat ruefully. "I've grown up so quickly. My friends call me up to say, 'so-and-so is dating Bobby' and 'Ricky did this to Suzie', and I'm like, 'I have to run, I'm off to my accountant!' But I figure, if I make the most of the opportunities I'm given now, I can have my wild and crazy years in my 30s and 40s."

Initially, Werbowy looked upon modelling "as an easy way to make money and finance my art studies". Now, those studies are on hold; though she may not yet be on the same radar screen as Naomi, Linda and Cindy (who are all still working their cashmere socks off at 30-something-and-the-rest), model biz insiders point out Daria's already a one-name brand - having ditched the "Werbowy" for work (probably because nobody can pronounce it). And yes, at a time when the catwalks are dominated by exotic girls with cats' eyes and panther-like grace, whose names end in "-ova", "-vitch" or "-insky", Werbowy's got the requisite Slavic heritage (of Ukrainian origin, she was born in Poland but her parents moved to Canada when she was three).

"I had a very normal upbringing, which I think keeps my feet firmly on the ground. I go home to visit whenever I can, and stay up late making perogies [Polish pasties], beet soup and cabbage rolls with my mum. It's still my favourite food." Not for this 1.78m-tall beauty is a starvation diet, then. "I think it's important to have everything in moderation. I love, love, love chocolate - white chocolate, especially. But I also eat a lot of salads, and mostly I shop at a little organic market near my apartment in the West Village, or the farmer's market on Union Square if I'm not working."

Nowadays, she's cooking for two. That's herself and the cat. "'The Cat With No Name' - he's an Abyssinian kitten, and I haven't decided what to call him yet." A boyfriend substitute, perhaps? "Well, it's hard to have a relationship in this business. When people start recognising you, it's a weird thing: you start to question why they want to get to know you ... basically, I'd like to reincarnate River Phoenix or Jeff Buckley [a promising singer-songwriter who drowned during an evening swim in 1997], please!"

Meanwhile, she is enjoying every globetrotting minute of a stellar career - Paris and Milan (for the collections), Bora Bora (fashion shoot) and her favourite destination is so far, Marrakesh: "the smells, the sounds, it's like all your senses are heightened, and the energy is amazing. And great shopping! I bought 10 carpets, nine of which are in storage because I have no space in my apartment for them!" But in refreshing contrast to her all-expenses-paid, first-class working life, she recently roughed it out in Ireland for three weeks. "A gypsy road trip with my best friend; we slept in a camper van, drove along the coast, swam in the ocean, didn't shower. It was fabulous!" (She has been quoted as saying "my hair looks better when it's a little dirty" - but perhaps that's taking it to extremes ...) Alongside the Marc Jacobs, Chanel and Chloé, then, there are dozens of pairs of Earl jeans, and several boyish leather jackets, the spoils of her regular Saturday flea market foraging.

Ultimately, she would like to sail around the world: Lancôme might just have a future Ellen McArthur on its books (for two months a year, until a couple of years ago, Werbowy taught sailing to problem ghetto children). "But I think Lancôme would [get] a little upset if I took off now!", she acknowledges. That art degree ultimately beckons, too (so she can study her heroes Warhol, Picasso and Bacon). Meanwhile, for now, you'll find Werbowy buried in Herman Hesse's Siddharta or Colin Wilson's The Outsider (a study of Camus / Nietzsche / Dostoevsky and others), rather than a glossy magazine, while hair and make-up put the finishing touches to that flawless skin, ready for her close-up.

Of course, if daredevil Werbowy has her way, they might well soon be slapping on the camouflage for rugby-induced bruises and scratches. But I can't help thinking that even with Lancôme Maquicomplet Complete Coverage Concealer, a broken nose might be something of a challenge to disguise.

And as a further bribe (and to avoid a third consecutive post by me), here's "Werbowy's Beauty Secrets":

Werbowy's Beauty Secrets

Exercise regime:
"Mostly I run. I have a personal trainer, but I'm always late so I get an extra 10 minutes running there for my appointment."

Typical diet:
"I'll eat anything except plane food."

Vitamins:
"I don't really take them - except Emergen-C vitamin C. But even then, I don't take them every day, because I forget."

Favourite pick-me-up:
"A steam. I swear I'm the only person who joined the gym just so I could use the steam room."

Indulgence:
"White chocolate."

Hairstylist:
"I go to Harry Josh at Serge Norman for John Frieda. In New York, for deep treatments to undo the damage from modelling, but I always cut it myself!"

To tan or not to tan?
"I am a great believer in the sun. I grew up sailing so I was always outside, but I've just - belatedly! - discovered sunblock."

Favourite products:
"I'm so lucky to have been given all the Lancôme products to play with. I was always very low-maintenance before, but now I'm really into their amazing under-eye cream, Hydra-Zen Yeux De-stressing Anti-Puffiness Anti-Fatigue Treatment and Aqua Fusion Fluide, which is really light so it's the perfect moisturiser for my skin."

Beauty sleep:
"I have a rule: no napping, except for 10-minute cat naps when I need to get into a more Zen place. I love sleep, but basically I run on adrenaline - I love to be busy and up and doing things."

Desert island beauty product:
Lancôme Hypnôse Waterproof Mascara

Best-ever beauty advice:
"My grandmother taught me to put lemon and sugar on a cotton pad, and swipe it all over my face, then let it sink in. It acts as a scrub and tingles, but it's incredible how much dirt it gets off - especially when I've been on the subway."

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Daria and the article was fun to read. Thanks so much for posting!!!

i didnt notice the model posing for anglomania article was lily donaldson too, until i read the fine text at the last shot. she looks exquisite.

EdanChrysler said:
As a tribute to all Darialogists (and as a bribe to get myself into their ranks :D), I present to you the full article on Daria Werbowy.

welcome to the darialand! :lol: :flower:

are there further pics? i didn't understand if there's also an interview.
actually i didn't understand the organisation of the whole profile. :unsure:
it seems to me that they're re-using previous material though. :smile:

i was reading the article and it sounded somehow familiar.
then i checked my archive and this bazaar article is exactly the same article that was published on You, an english mag, last january or february. :smile:

Really?

I'm not really surprised though; I did suspect the article was probably re-used or published elsewhere before since the title said "Lancôme presents..." but I wasn't too sure (I did check the latest pages of the Daria thread and there didn't seem to be any mention of the article) so I just posted the article anyway.

There are lots of pictures, but I don't have a scanner - I can however attempt to use a camera and photograph the pages ... I'll see.

that would be very kind of you. also with a camera you can take beautiful pics of a mag. :smile: thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xvtvi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->