Carine Roitfeld named Global Fashion Director of Harper's Bazaar

Marc10

Staff member
Reaction score
1nL7h.png

“Harper’s Bazaar is thrilled to announce style icon Carine Roitfeld as global fashion director for the magazine. Roitfeld will produce a limited amount of editorials for the magazine to run across world wide editions” - it was announced today by David Carey, president, Hearst Magazines, and Duncan Edwards, president and CEO, Hearst Magazines International.

Roitfeld will collaborate with Stephen Gan, creative director of Harper’s Bazaar U.S., on several stories a year starting in the March 2013 issues of all 26 international editions of Bazaar which have a combined audience of more than 11.3 million worldwide. The special project may include covers of many of Bazaar s international editions. Roitfeld, who has recently published the first edition of her new magazine CR Fashion Book, will give her own unique take on the key fashion trends each season. Edwards commented, “This collaboration marks the first time anything like this has been done and we’re very excited about what Carine will bring to Bazaar editions around the world. She is a visionary in the fashion world and we are so happy to be working with her.” Carey said, “Hearst is the world’s largest publisher of monthly magazines, and we’re always looking for powerful ideas that can play out across the globe. Carine is one of the fashion world’s most influential tastemakers and we look forward to seeing what she does with Bazaar Her contributions will help lead the company to new heights on the creative front.” “I am thrilled to be contributing to Bazaar a brand with a rich history of creativity,” said Roitfeld. “Working with Stephen and a roster of talented photographers will be a wonderful collaboration and one that will give these stories a truly global audience.”

Roitfeld will continue to work on her various other projects including her newly launched biannual, CR Fashion Book.
hbazaar.com

Last edited by a moderator:
So will editorials she produces be available for all editions at the same time? If so, it's a pretty good (and cost effective) idea, that way international editions won't have to wait a while to get editorials of the higher quality kind.

I think what they mean is that Carine will style some eds for Bazaar US and other editions will reprint them.
But still very excited about this.

^Oh, so it's just a glorified extended freelance job.. A story is a story I guess..

Curious to see how this goes, I mean she did fail *to me, in my opinion* make a worthy magazine to call her own *although I will say that Tom Ford editorial is still one of the best things in her magazine*

I still don't whether to be like "Is she serious?" Or "Oh, well good for her!"

This does sound more like a glorified freelance job than an actual "fashion director".

i'm glad that she'll be able to get an even bigger audience, but honestly, i'm not sure how well her aesthetic will mesh with HB's, which is rather tame and safe. look at their covers! they're all 'Girl in front of white background!'

which, frankly, is just a small step up from Cosmo's covers.

Well, maybe she'll bring something interesting to HB.

I'm glad for her, she will a great work & i hope in future the mag (specially of the US edition) have a great taste of editorials with aesthetics when the period of Liz Tilberis as Editor-in-Chief back when in the 90's.

I figured she couldn't stay away from the cache you get from working with a major media company. Even thought designers still give her the same respect, I'm guessing there was a bit of a dip from the perks she used to get working for a corporate giant.

This does sound more like a glorified freelance job than an actual "fashion director".

Basically, and calling her such and making a "breaking announcement" shows they really wanted that press that is associated with her name. I've got to hand it to them though, it worked, people ate it up. Win/win for both parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
As if Harper's Bazaar couldn't get worse, now they throw in Roitfeld to the mix? UGH

I think what they mean is that Carine will style some eds for Bazaar US and other editions will reprint them.
But still very excited about this.

UK Bazaar never reprints eds from the US version so I doubt they will start now. I would agree with what saann said and that she will produce eds available for all editions.

Anyway good for Carine. This doesn't surprise me that Hearst wanted her.

Too bad she won't replace Glenda Bailey, who just plain sucks. She's so out of touch.

I think considering how HB runs its business, with HB US completely separate from international, one possibility Carine's eds will run or only be available to run for non-US and non-UK editions - so it's good for places like China, Turkey, Australia, etc. As pointed out, US and UK do all their own content and never lift from each other - there's no way they'll have a shoot that say, Harper's Bazaar Spain or Singapore are running.

Then she'll also avoid dealing with Glenda's horrible taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ00
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->