Gan, Dean split could lead to demise of ‘CR Fashion Book’ *Update* Denied by Roitfeld

HeatherAnne

Reaction score
No big loss as far as I'm concerned...

Gan, Dean split could lead to demise of ‘CR Fashion Book’

As top fashion glossies get ready to drop their September issues, speculation is swirling about the future of the publishing mini-empire built by longtime collaborators Stephen Gan and Cecilia Dean after Page Six reported the duo’s splitting.

One casualty of their portfolio, which includes V magazine, VMan and Visionaire, could be former French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld’s *2-year-old CR Fashion Book, insiders say.

Edgy Roitfeld launched the title in 2012 after leaving French Vogue, but former employer Condé Nast then put a fashion fatwa on her new venture, warning top photographers and stylists from working with a new competitor.

Roitfeld’s fancy friends, including photographer Bruce Weber, still worked with the well-connected editor anyway, shooting cover models including Kate Upton and Gigi Hadid. But insiders say that Condé’s “stranglehold” on top shooters has made it hard to compete, and the magazine has also had trouble attracting the paying advertisers it hoped for.

“Carine can’t understand why none of her friends are buying ads,” a source sniffed.

The insider added of CR’s future: “The plan is not to announce it is closing, but to do a ‘soft close.’ The whole staff knows what’s going on and are looking for other jobs.”

But Gan has insisted to us that CR has been “profitable since day one.”
It’s still unclear how Gan and Dean will split their assets: Sources said Dean’s focusing on arty title Visionaire, while Gan’s presiding over V and VMan. And other sources say CR Fashion Book will survive and that V will go all-digital to boost the bottom line.

In 2012, Roitfeld was also named global fashion director of Vogue rival Harper’s Bazaar, where Gan is creative director. For its September issue, the pair produced a portfolio with Penélope Cruz, Brooke Shields, Iman, Joan Smalls, Linda Evangelista and Lady Gaga. “It’s a huge amount of power they gave to me,” Roitfeld told WWD of the project.

Reps didn’t get back to us.
pagesix

Carine's magazine is lacking hype and buzz because she only sent out really weak issues! Nothing bold or risqué, only safe content to attract advertisers and to sell it out to everyone!
There isn't a single ed stuck in my mind regarding CR Fashion Book, to me it makes no difference....

This magazine never existed for me anyway...

If you can't secure the work of contracted photographers, then you make it your business to seek out the best in as-yet-unknown talent and let them express themselves on your pages. They bring the fresh ideas, you're the guiding hand, and the end result should be interesting at the very least.

I really wanted to keep liking this magazine after the first issue, but it never quite lived up to the expectations.

i've never seen it anyway to be honest...so no huge loss. but it could also potentially affect the already diminished quality of V and visionaire. gan is the reason that magazine has remained afloat at all. but those two rags have totally sold-out. i wouldn't be surprised V became supermarket-grade like nylon did a few years ago.

Exclusive! Carine Roitfeld Sets The Record Straight About CR Fashion Book’s Future

Today, Page Six came out with an item on CR Fashion Book‘s purportedly bleak futureand rumored demise, stemming from an item they penned last week about the professional split of Visionaire and V‘s Stephen Gan and Cecilia Dean, as Gan is Carine Roitfeld‘s longtime close collaborator and partner on CR. The Daily spoke to Roitfeldthis afternoon to get the inside scoop on CR‘s future. First up, a quick by-the-numbers of CR‘s inaugural issue: “Our launch issue in 2012 was 340 pages with 150 ad pages, and this September issue, we are at 344 pages with 154 ad pages,” Roitfeld told The Daily.

“I am so proud to announce that after 2 years, this September’s CR Fashion Book is our biggest ever!” The secret to that success, according to Roitfeld: “Over time, CR Fashion Book has developed a formula for mixing discoveries with established talent. I feel like a scanner when it comes to finding new people and new things to put into CR Fashion Book.” Additionally, CR recently opened its own glossy new offices, located on Hudson and Spring Streets. Previously, CR‘s home base was in V and Visionaire’s offices on Mercer Street.

As for what to expect from the glossy’s upcoming issue? “I am so excited for the 5th issue of CR Fashion Book to be launched globally on September 4th with the exclusive on one of the world’s biggest celebrities on the cover, as you have never seen her before!” Roitfeld explained. Stay tuned for more details on the major cover coup. Beyond CR, Roitfeld just rolled out her biggest portfolio yet for Harper’s Bazaar, where she’s been the global fashion director since October 2012, just one month after her debut issue of CR hit stands. The “Icons”-themed portfolio for September features 19 major models and celebs, and will bow in 30 international editions of Bazaar.

fashionweekdaily

Now that Roitfeld secured a place at HB, she should put an end to the magazine (CR) or leave it in the hands of someone else.

Btw, I posted an article about the "split" in the Business of Magazines thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually would prefer she back off Bazaar entirely, and focus more on that little pet project of hers. I mean every month she selects a bunch of random 'icons' for Bazaar, and the styling usually is a mess. I've only ever bought the debut edition CR Fasion Book, lost interest in the magazine since.

I want to believe Carine's denial, I really like the magazine. I don't get why people think it lacks boldness. I've been feeling like everything looks either commercial or minimalistic nowadays, when fashion magazines/editorials should show some inspiration too.
Carine and her team come up with these new stories/concepts (fairy tale issue for example), different ways of presenting the pieces and combines them with interesting people. In the latest issue she has an ed comparing the outfits of a pregnant Ashleigh Good with Conchita. I find it refreshing and the CR excites me in doing my job. As for people thinking she's arrogant or whatever, she's actually not. And a thing I really like about her is that she gives back by giving a chance to younger people in the industry. (photographers shooting for the website, newer designers, filmmakers, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessy1982
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->