• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Allesandro Dell’Acqua & More Wear Blackface To African Party *Update* Another Party

It feels like 0.1 step (a bit more diversity in some campaigns and some runways) forward, 5 steps back when it comes to this industry. *sigh*

When has the fashion industry taken a "strong" stand against racism? Did I miss something?

I suspect it's a response (or rather, a middle finger) to the call for diversity from sites like this, as well as the very recent vocal cryouts from black models such as Naomi, Iman, Chanel, etc.

Cause even if you try to find the sincerity in the apology (which I cannot, btw), there's the the lingering question - the obvious one being if they're going to throw a party to pay "homage" to Africa, why the serious lack of black models on Milanese runways? Where were these homages to Africa on the runway? Shouldn't that have been a better way to do so than a party theme?

I suspect it's a response (or rather, a middle finger) to the call for diversity from sites like this, as well as the very recent vocal cryouts from black models such as Naomi, Iman, Chanel, etc.

Cause even if you try to find the sincerity in the apology (which I cannot, btw), there's the the lingering question - the obvious one being if they're going to throw a party to pay "homage" to Africa, why the serious lack of black models on Milanese runways? Where were these homages to Africa on the runway? Shouldn't that have been a better way to do so than a party theme?

#cosign

Those "excuses" are disgusting and pathetic. I can't believe that Sgura dared to compare those costumes to the artefacts in a museum...

So according to Giampaolo Sgura's instagram it seems that just last night he attended "American Indian" themed party. Not sure if he hosted it or just attended, but I'm sure a lot of important people were there. What a stupid, ignorant man. What is wrong with the Milanese? I can't deal with this, stuck-in-another-century, racist and plain wrong foolishness.

instagram/giampaolosgura

Such a douchebag. Don't even bother apologizing this time, you talentless hack.

Ew ew ew... all these people in Sgura's instagram photos ought to be ashamed of themselves. I honestly just cannot... what a bunch of racist idiots. I checked out Sgura's instagram after seeing these pictures, I was curious to see if they were the only one's from the party and if people had called him out for attending such a party, and it was pretty awful. Apparently the party had something to do with celebrating Carnevale but still, there is no excuse for such racism. Also, it's really pitiful but hardly anyone has called him out for his actions... it's horrid.

I am not trying to defend Sgura because clearly he's an insensitive idiot and should know better after everything that has been going on in the fashion industry regarding these issues lately.

However, I don't think people understand that those kinds of parties are totally normal during carnival season in Europe. You will find Native American costumes for kids and adults everywhere, alongside the usual princess, cowboys, pirates stuff. It's been like that for decades, most people in Europe are not aware of it yet that it's "wrong" to do that. There would always be at least one Native American themed party per year in the small town where I grew up. Therefore I am not really shocked by those images.

BUT, Sgura has been called out on his BS before and he even offered a lame apology, so seeing him proudly post those images on his Instagram is still ridiculous and inexcusable.

Totally agree. The fact that many people in Europe are ignorant of these issues does not excuse it. Especially if you've been called out on it before! And that's what it means to be a public figure versus a non-famous person...one has to take responsibility for the messages one perpetuates.

Such a douchebag. Don't even bother apologizing this time, you talentless hack.

The only apology he offered last time was of the "I'm sorry you didn't get it" kind so he can keep it this time. You'd expect more sensitivity from him (being a minority and all) but it looks like he is a complete idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->