Harry & Meghan (Netflix Docuseries)

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, who will be watching? The first three episodes are available to watch on Netflix now...

They're both too media trained to make compelling reality tv stars, imo. The one clip I saw from it, on social media, was Meghan talking about how she couldn't wear the same colors in public as more senior royals, so she had to wear camel and white and beige to avoid ruffling feathers. Yet.... she's always worn muted colors since long before Harry and continues to do so, long after she's proven she has no qualms about ruffling feathers within the royal family establishment. Sometimes it's those dumb little details and anecdotes that feel calculated and insincere that just turn you off to a person. I admire her shrewdness, though, and I think she's really pretty. Never cared for Harry. Probably will not be watching.

Their interviews always seem to be about "setting the story straight" as if they hadn't declared that to be the point of every previous interview. And when you only have one story, there's only so many times you can tell it, before you reach the point of diminishing returns. Eventually, even the most gullible of listeners will drift away.

I like the way the trailers contained content that was unrelated to their lives, including an old Harry Potter premiere, and Katie Price appearing at court (BBC) : Harry and Meghan's Netflix trailers criticised over 'misleading' clips

Money well spent (on Hermes blankets).

But for those wanting more, true fans will not have long to wait before the epitome of white male privilege publishes his book about how hard his life has been.

Sorry: I like them and I think their story is cute, they seem genuinely in love and I honestly feel bad for anyone that's never gone on a wild trip across the world with someone they barely know. It's.. fun... AND I think they're being treated the way people were okay with the way Diana was treated only to clutch their pearls later like 'what? she got killed? by the media we consume and take seriously enough to support at all costs?! poor Diana!'. In short, people are so easily manipulated.. the UK media IS trash, everyone knows that and people buy into it for reasons that seem rather obscure to me but it goes to show how they expect to be fed with information, toddler style, about pretty much everything else, their vote included. Coughbrexit.

Also lol at the 'look at their fancy stuff! look at how they live! look at their house! oh my god they're making money out of this'.. yeah sounds like you're describing....*drumrolls*... monarchy and royals?!. Diana and Fergie's extra personal encounters with the media after 'graduation', the taxes you pay to sustain the monarchy, yeah it's all for charity and they really just wanted to buy a toaster and not maintain a lifestyle none of us can relate to.

If the mission of the monarchy is identity and clearly tourism, thank them.. they're clearly still doing the work. :lol:

The UK media is the one being trashed, because they need to appeal to an American audience to make their money.

Look at American media coverage of politics, if she suddenly decided to go into that arena as a serious concern, she'd get ripped apart in a way that would make the British tabloids seem like being gently chewed on by chihuahuas.

Nobody's doing it yet because nobody of importance in the US sees her as being of any real consequence.

They know they've burned their bridges in the UK so everything has to be reframed to appeal to the sympathies of the American market. Look! Look over there! All the problems come from that other place! So cold and nasty across the water. Not like you lovely Americans with open hearts and wallets.

Some of the shots of tabloid headlines were taken from American publications. Oops!

^ No, the Compton ones were all DM, same for the ones where she's from some other area with high crime in LA. I remember that like it was yesterday because, as an LA resident then, I was seriously confused that they would reframe her origins when it was pretty clear to me she came from an upper class background (not everyone goes to Immaculate Heart and most people certainly cannot afford to live in Miracle Mile lol).

They can't trash the UK tabloids, they're already on the floor. What are they saying that is particularly deceiving? have they not intervened phone lines, gone through trash or have palace insiders plant stories? or been openly racist? all true, yes, Meghan is not the only target and it's mostly a right-wing agenda but that doesn't make it less true. And Meghan is very much not liked by the right wing media in the US either, UK royalty is just not relevant enough to make it their daily bread, and you don't have to go into politics, just have an opinion on a carrot and it will be placed on either the left or right, there's no middle ground in the US.

Maaaaaybe because I'm not in the UK I've just been unaware, but 90% of the press coverage I see of Meghan and Harry is very positive. The general consensus in mainstream American media seems to be that Meghan is classy, intelligent, and beautiful, just happened to fall in love with a Prince and the big bad racist royal family ran poor sweet innocent Meghan out of town. I have no doubt there was negativity in the press. I can't imagine it was so much worse than what other celebrities/royals have dealt with, though.

Assume we take them at their word, though. The press was to terrible to deal with, the royal family's racism was too toxic to bear, they needed privacy to raise their kids. Ok, fair enough. They flee to the US with their millions and try to live as normal a life as they can. But then the book deals? The $150,000,000 Netflix deal? The reality show (sorry, "docuseries"), the podcast, the children's book, the magazines, the mansions, the Oprah sit down interview deal for millions, etc. They want their cake and they want to eat it too. Which... fine? I genuinely admire the hustle, I just don't admire the posturing as victims. Story-for-story, I would guarantee they get far more good press than bad. They leveraged their royal titles into a life of celebrity and immense privilege, but no longer have to put up with the boring duties and financial restrictions that came with it. He was a spare with plenty of bad press (including using racial slurs fairly recently!) and she was a c-list TV actress on a show that was winding down. Whatever mean things someone in the press have said, they're more successful now, more praised now, more powerful now, and more famous now. And I think they should own it.

The desperation of this couple is so cringe to witness, all for thirty pieces of silver. Anything to cling on to the last bit of relevance they have thanks to the very institution they're thrashing, anything to make a bit of money off their 'trauma' and the 'gross injustice' levelled against them. And in the same year as....
Tasteless! Oh well, I suppose modern-day Wallis Simpson imagined there'd be loads of thinkpieces, newspaper headlines, she'll be all over covers. :lol:

I seriously hope this series will tank!

It is so interesting to read your reviews/responses. I know I myself should not say anything maybe, as I believe int the book title...: why I'm no longer talking to White people about race....but here I go.

I notice from a white lens/point of view, people look at this very different than me who sees it from a black lens/point of view. I am someone who has family in the "Commonwealth", which often is seen by Britons, the monarchs or the Queens proudest legacy. Being a brown or black subject in the commonwealth or in Britain, the true legacy of the commonwealth or better said colonialism is a mixture of (extreme) poverty, low life expectancy and being seen as 2nd class citizens.
Being a product myself of a similar system (from the Dutch)...I can tell you this entire first 3 episodes from 'my lens' was about racism/bigotry.

They (Harry/Meghan) focused on the racism/bigotry from the media right from the bat of this series...but it seems like the white lens in the UK see something else or do not want to see it. While Harry has to deal with this part as he said himself..because his children are mixed raised and one day he has to explain to them what he did to stand up for his wife and them (his mixed raised children).

I command him to try to educate himself and other people how bias you can be in a colonial structured society, even if you are going into a relationship with a non-white person. Being 'Anti-racist' is something different and far more difficult from saying 'you ar not racist'. Also the docu touched upon how Meghan herself had to deal with race, while she mostly had the 'luxury' to escape it by being white-passing and pretty enough, according to western beauty standards. Although this could have been talked about more if you asked me...

For me watching it from a black lens...that is what I hoped a bigger group of people would talk about and think about...it's not about bringing down the media or the royals...although calling out racism is not a bad thing in my book, but to finally talk and start dealing about race/colonialism and other -isms, wether its painful or not.

But again just like the country I grew up in, Britains media is controlled and managed by mostly white-skinned people....this was also mentioned in the first 3 episode by a media expert I believe, so they looking at it from a white lens, will see this docu series most likely differently, in this case unfortunately as a pure attack to the establishment.

I never thought I would say this but I prefer The Kardashians over this.
They should've hired Kris Jenner for their reality show to be more interesting (and realistic).

Not a fan of the Royal Family, but I don't think there's anyone in the world with access to libraries/TV/internet that doesn't know how some things work there (eg. that you should bow to the queen). Anyone except Meghan Markle, I suppose.
Also, how they use Diana (whatever one may think of her) for their own gain is gross.

The only thing I like about them is that he seems to be genuinely in love. That's always nice to see.

Not a fan of the Royal Family, but I don't think there's anyone in the world with access to libraries/TV/internet that doesn't know how some things work there (eg. that you should bow to the queen). Anyone except Meghan Markle, I suppose.

She's lying of course. And if she's lying about something as inconsequential as that, then what else is she lying about?

It's good to have a range of replies, from those who believe in the couple, for their own reasons, and those who don't believe, again, for their own reasons.

If we say there's two sides to every story, the part that's always missing - and the omission of which the couple relies heavily upon - is the Palace, with their long-standing position of not publicly responding to events in any extensive way.

But there are all sorts of things bubbling under the surface - from the potential surrogacy/succession issues, plus the bullying dossier - that have not come into play yet, and it will be interesting to see who pulls the trigger first - and when.

My humble musings …
1. they need better PR ~ so they are stopped / edited from telling “truths” that can be easily fact checked - like the beige comment ! There are plenty of pics of Meghan wearing beige like colours & not another royal in sight! Also as much as I love & respect The Queen ~ nobody would want to wear canary yellow or lime green … just sayin!
2. It’s a shame that the platform they have is being squandered with their grift just to make money / a living !
3. If they had of just told the truth ~ she was homesick for California & found it impossible to be apolitical & he hates / distrusts the tabloid media ~ everybody would have understood ~ we get it !

Final thought ~ wonder if Meghan will go to KC3 coronation ~ wearing a tiara ; jewels & couture … maybe too hard to resist :innocent:

Just passed by a bookstore while coming back from lunch and... got the book, didn't even know this was out. Had to swallow my pride while at the register and just told the guy 'new low..' and he laughed and looked at it and was like 'aw man, I'll give you a bag, I got you'. :rofl:

That being said! I have solid arguments about this and will argue till the bitter end! are they likeable? no! but are they right and doing this the way Diana so obviously paved? yeah..

But for those wanting more, true fans will not have long to wait before the epitome of white male privilege publishes his book about how hard his life has been.

When I said this a month ago, I had no idea just how bad the book would be.

But for all the laughs that are currently being had, there's a sense there'll be a sad ending to this, although in keeping with the rest of their media empire, it will always be everyone else's fault, no personal responsibility taken.

But we've always got her book to look forward to, then the kids' memoirs, and if everyone is lucky, THE DIVORCE.

^ like with Diana? seems like Diana is seen as angelic now. I was a kid when she died but I remember my family always talking about her (prior to her death) like she was this media-starved, unstable person who wasn't even in the royal family anymore (sort of the way it is with Harry now). The whole narrative the British media sold, apparently sponsored by Buckingham Palace?.

The British public seems so hard to please, but they do like a tragic ending!

It must be terrible to hate the media, when it's now their main way of making a living, followed by the royal family, which is so abysmal, that titles must be retained and used at every turn to sell oneself.

You can never be at peace when your life is one long contradiction.

Pointing fingers at the British is a popular hobby, and there's probably considerable mileage left in it. It's a great distraction from having to deal with problems closer to home. And people love the strife, the drama of it all. Heroes and villains.

But I wonder what the turning point will be - that moment when there will be no coming back from it, for any of the people involved. And when the public turns away, and the interest fades, what will be left?

I also don't think Diana is buried on that island, I think she's in the Spencer chapel/crypt. So when they rowed out and Meghan placed her hands upon the grave and asked for guidance, she was probably just channelling duck sh*t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->