In Search Of....The Great White Shirt...

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
a great white shirt is a staple in every wardrobe...
and yet is can be so elusive...

in your opinon...
which designers do you think make a great white shirt...???
post an example if you can...

:flower:

ie-carolina herrera is famous for her crisp white cotton shirts which she shows with everything from jeans to ballgowns...

:P

who do you look to when you are looking for that great white?!?!...

:D

IMHO...Yohji Yamamoto is the master of the white shirt, for men and women. For women he did those mindblowing white shirt-dresses just last season which were incredible, and for men there's always good white shirts at his Y's diffusion label, either plain or with a twist such as embroidery, double/contrasting collar, etc. For his main label I remember there being an incredibly cool looking men's white shirt with some weird snakes and number patterns on it, very mysterious looking...I wanted to get it but the retail price was like $600, and by the time sales came they were all sold out! I also love the cotton Yohji uses for his white shirts, the outfit I feel most confident/comfortable in is the most basic/simple one: when I'm wearing my relaxed Y's white shirt with my favorite jeans, open collar and sleeves rolled up as usual.

Helmut Lang shirts were the best ever! Classic style with a pocket on the chest, great collar shape that works with or without a tie, slim, but not too slim, fit:

00122.L.JPG
00144.L.JPG

(from firstview.com)

Sadly these probably aren't going to be available anymore, but the Prada dress shirts have a similar style (probably not a coincidence...) :ninja:

Hedi Slimane's shirts for Dior Homme are cool with the small collar. I've gotten a little sick of them compared to how I felt back in 2001 with the Solitaire collection...seriously loved that collar!!! Still it looks good on boys and girls, buttoned or unbuttoned!

00033.L.JPG

(firstview.com, again)

For something British, Hilditch & Key on Jermyn Street makes really nice shirts, but they tend to do double [French] cuffs, so it makes it difficult to roll up the sleeves and wear them casually:

mcwhite.jpg

(from hilditchandkey.co.uk)

Another Jermyn St. shirtmaker with a good reputation is Turnbull & Asser. Thomas Pink used to be good, but now is owned by some conglomerate (Gucci Group, maybe?) and the quality is now bad, I've read.

I've also heard good things about the French shirtmaker Charvet, but haven't seen the shirts up close. Maybe next time I am in Paris...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas Pink is actually owned by LVMH :flower:

I agree on Carolina Herrera shirts, they always look so chic tucked into big ballgown skirts.

I actually really like this white shirt from lee mcqueen...finding a good fit is so hard but I like the fact that these sleeves are a bit bigger

11743_fr.jpg

(http://www.net-a-porter.com)

In the end I think it comes down to personal body shape and fit, as to what will look good on you

THEORY!!!!!!!

I have 3 in white, 2 in black and then a few other colors. Great for work!! I've even been known to wear them with a few more buttons open, with jeans and some cute accessories to dinners!

I :heart: them!

I can't find a pic, but I'm talking about the french cuff fitted dart ones.

Oooh how I love this topic :heart:

I'm "in search of..." myself. Came thiiis close to that McQueen Meg, but then thought I might want something cut a bit slimmer. Easier to layer...

Anyhow, my favorite thus far is a short sleeve one I bought from Country Road ages ago. That's an Australian brand no longer sold in the US. Perfect fit, but is starting to show signs of wear & tear :(

Can't wait to check out some of the aforementioned for a replacement :woot: Thanks for the topic Soft :flower:

Lang
if it's available

00075.L.JPG

00082.L.JPG

dark navy blazer, white shirt, dark blue jeans and black oxford

00026.L.JPG

firstview.com

For something British, Hilditch & Key on Jermyn Street makes really nice shirts, but they tend to do double [French] cuffs, so it makes it difficult to roll up the sleeves and wear them casually:

According to Kit, Hildritch and Key, is Karl Lagerfeld's brand of choice for the great white.

This thread just reminded me of just how much I miss Helmut Lang..... :(

Seriously, I have no idea who makes the best white shirt, I am really of no help here..... never really was into white shirts.... sorry! ^_^

paul merritt - do a search & you'll find out what happened to Helmut when he was bought by P R A D A

LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER[/quote]HAHA!

Not to mention that fact that the hat he is wearing looks worse than most of the stuff being sold on eBay! Almost makes me think that a lot of the Prada Sport stuff I see isn't actually knock-off afterall! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->