Inaugural Attire - American First Family

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Monday, January 10, 2005
The First Family's Fashion

NEW YORK — As the clock ticks down toward Inauguration Day on Jan. 20, the rush is on to complete the First Family’s wardrobes for the social events surrounding the big event.
Laura Bush and her daughters, Jenna and Barbara — swooped into Manhattan Saturday for fittings for their inaugural attire. Four days of festivities — including 10 balls, a Kid Rock concert, a parade and fireworks — call for plenty of picture-perfect poses, and Oscar de la Renta, Carolina Herrera, Mark Badgley and James Mischka of Badgley Mischka, Lela Rose and Peggy Jennings were said to be among the designers preparing outfits.
The First Lady’s silvery blue de la Renta gown is a more subdued look than the ruby Chantilly lace Michael Faircloth dress she wore for the 2000 inaugural. Bush has become a big de la Renta fan over the last year, wearing his designs on a number of occasions during the campaign and even inviting the designer to sit in the family’s box during the Republican National Convention in New York last August.
No longer the freewheeling, media-loathing teens they were during the first go-round, college grads Jenna and Barbara are said to be endorsing their mother’s sense of stately elegance. No word yet on what the twins will be wearing where, but Badgley Mischka and Lela Rose were reportedly putting the finishing touches on ensembles made of a mixture of fabrics. Both companies declined to comment about specific styles.

At least one family member isn’t busy with inaugural dressing. The president’s niece Lauren Bush, an Elite model, plans to touch down in Sri Lanka this week on behalf of the U.N. World Food Program.

excerpt from wwd... :P

Sorry I just noticed the words "Kid Rock concert" :sick:

I've never heard of Peggy Jennings. Does she design under her own name or for someone?

no...i don't know peggy jennings either..anyone else?...

oh good god, i can't see them anymore! I'm so tired of their unimpressiveness, and boringness, and arrogance.
i don't want to turn this topic into a political discussion, but, honestly, who's still interested in them?

I think this is more for their style, but as usual standards dictate (much like Royalty) they can't be too flashy, more classic.

I've heard that about the Oscars and so on. Apparently they like to wear things that are sort of timeless, so that the pictures can be looked back in the years to come....but music awards and grammys are very trendy and flashy.

Laura Bush Selects Oscar De La Renta Inaugural Gown

From Yahoo...
Laura Bush Selects Shimmery Inaugural Gown

Mon Jan 10, 4:27 PM ET

NEW YORK - The full-length wrap gown that Laura Bush intends to wear to the inaugural ball will be classic and elegant but "with a touch of shimmer and shine," according to designer Oscar de la Renta.

"It's right for the occasion," he said Monday.

The first lady had her fitting for the grayish-blue dress on Saturday when she visited de la Renta's Manhattan showroom.

"I've been making clothes for Mrs. Bush over the last four years. Early in December she came to see me and asked if I would prepare some sketches for her for the inauguration," de la Renta explained.

The gown she chose, which features a layer of tulle adorned with bugle beads and crystals, was the designer's favorite, too. "Obviously I wanted something very glamorous. For any first lady, this is a very special kind of evening," he told The Associated Press Monday.

De la Renta's sophisticated styles seem to be a good match for Washington wardrobes: The Dominican-born designer also has dressed Hillary Rodham Clinton and Teresa Heinz Kerry.

Bush's full-length dress should be ready by the end of the week; the inauguration and ball are on Jan. 20.

De la Renta plans to go to Washington to the swearing-in ceremony. "I'll try to look my very best for the very important occasion," he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a very nice dress :flower: i generally love de la renta's classic gowns, anyway.

605wish.jpg

Look what I found
First Daughter, Jenna Bush, stylin'!:woot:

Here's a bigger pic of the gown from the NY Times:

gown.lg.jpg

silver blue tulle embroidered with bugle beads and trimmed in Austrian crystals

And here's sketches of the twin's Badgley Mischka dresses (from FWD:(

r.asp

r.asp

Say what you will about the infamous Bush girls — at least they’ve got taste. The 23-year old twins of President George W. Bush will be sporting Badgley Mischka gowns for their dad’s February inauguration. In a company statement, the designing duo revealed that “for Miss Jenna Bush, designers Mark Badgley and James Mischka created an emerald silk crepe gown with metallic leather details and jeweled insets. Miss Barbara Bush will wear a pale aquamarine silk chiffon gown with jeweled straps and a ruffle-seamed skirt.”

This is a gown designed by Badgley Mischka for one of the Bush girls for the inaugeration.

inside-barbaradress.jpg

what gorgeous dresses for extremly dull looking girls....somethings really wrong here!

Well, at least I'll have faith that Barbara (the daughter) will look quite pretty. I think she's light-years better looking than Jenna, and the dress will likely look quite lovely on her.

Inaugural Fashion

Badgley Mischka to Dress First Daughters

Wed Jan 12, 2:59 PM ET

[size=-1]By SAMANTHA CRITCHELL, AP Fashion Editor[/size]

NEW YORK - [size=-1] It's their dad's day, but look for President Bush (news - web sites)'s daughters to make a statement of their own at the inaugural ball in sexy, stylish Badgley Mischka gowns. [/size]

AP Photo

AP Photo
cam.gif
Slideshow: Jenna and Barbara Bush
[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] Jenna Bush plans to wear an emerald green silk crepe column gown with metallic green banding and jeweled insets at the hip. "It looks gorgeous on her," said Mark Badgley, who, with partner James Mischka, designed the dress. [/size]

[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] "Jenna's dress is sophisticated, sleek and sexy on her. She was into various shades of green, and this particular one looks good with her skin and hair," Badgley told The Associated Press Tuesday. [/size]

[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] Barbara Bush's dress is a little more dramatic and romantic. Badgley described it as a pale aquamarine silk chiffon gown with a plunging neckline, a ruffle seam skirt and jeweled straps. [/size]

[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] "I get the feeling they are interested in fashion. They are always dressed beautifully," Badgley said, noting that they are among the few 23-year-olds who need several gowns in their closets. "They have places to go," he added with a laugh. [/size]

[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] The twins reached out to Badgley Mischka several weeks ago and the final gown choices were made just before Christmas. The design team worked directly with Jenna and Barbara Bush, combing through the company's archives and drafting new sketches together. "We sort of saw what colors and details they responded to," Badgley said. [/size]

[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] Hollywood stars regularly wear Badgley Mischka on the red carpet, but being asked to participate in the Jan. 20 inaugural ball was still a thrill for Badgley. "We were honored enough to get a phone call from the White House. It was like, `Oh my God, it's the White House on the phone!'" [/size]

[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] [/size]

[size=-1] [/size] :flower:

I hope that when I have babies they be twin girls so I can buy them matching Badgley Mischa gowns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->