Jane Austen Books

tangiblelove

Reaction score
Has anyone ever read Persuasion by Jane Austen? Its the next book on my reading list and I just started reading it. I though maybe someone hear might have read it or be in the process of reading it and could help me through it or give me your opinions. Anyone?

Absolutely without a doubt. Its cliche to pick 'Pride and Prejuidice' as your first Austen novel...but I would strongly advise you to read it first. Its a wonderful romance story, with humour as well as interesting dynamics. :flower: Plus Mr. Darcy is absolutely dashing. :lol: :smile:

Despite my love for Mr. Darcy, I always prefered Sense and Sensibility. I lead that back to the fact that the whole world seems to have read and obsessed over Pride and Prejudice. S&S is much more personal for me... because people around me rarely have read it and spoil the intimacy and poetry of the book. Elinor Dashwood must be my absolute child-hood hero.:heart:

Pride and Perjudice is all the time favorit Jane Austen´s book, but I love Sense and Sensibility and Emma, too.

Oh I love Jane Austen! My grandmother read aloud to us after dinner every evening, and she read most of the Austen novels to us. "Emma" is one of my particular favorites and you can read it online here. The beginning of Emma is dreamy :blush::

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years with very little in the world to distress or vex her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Emma! And also P&P and S&S. However I couldn't stand Persuasion or Mansfield Park (I think the protagonists just bugged me too much).

do you think that the issues (social and moral) of her books (set in the olden times) can relate to the issues in our society today?

The BBC series for Pride and Prejudice is amazing. :woot: I'd recommend it to anyone, Austen fan or not.

Despite my love for Mr. Darcy, I always prefered Sense and Sensibility. I lead that back to the fact that the whole world seems to have read and obsessed over Pride and Prejudice. S&S is much more personal for me... because people around me rarely have read it and spoil the intimacy and poetry of the book. Elinor Dashwood must be my absolute child-hood hero.:heart:

Oh I completely understand your point of view. But then again Pride and Prejudice is just the epitome of what makes Jane Austen such a adored writer. From the opening lines to how well written the obstacles Elizabeth faces. And if only I could have the wit of Elizabeth or Darcy. :heart:

Of all the Jane Austen books I've read I wouldn't recomend Northanger Abbey. I don't know what it was but I can just never get through it, it bores me. but P&P and Emma are by far my favorites.

Has anyone ever read Persuasion by Jane Austen? Its the next book on my reading list and I just started reading it. I though maybe someone hear might have read it or be in the process of reading it and could help me through it or give me your opinions. Anyone?

Persuassion is normally understood to be the most mature of Austens six novels. It was the last book she completed before her death. It is also the only book of the six where the traditional "courting" period doesn't take place. Anne and Captain Wentworth had already went through all of that, so this novel does differ greatly from her others. Personnally, I love Persuassion. I love the tradegy and heartbreak throughout the book and the pining. Anne Elliot is one of my favourites :smile:

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is just starting out with Austen. Try P&P, S&S or Northanger Abbey first.

do you think that the issues (social and moral) of her books (set in the olden times) can relate to the issues in our society today?

Of course! That is perhaps why her books are still being read and adapted for TV and movies over 200 years later.
I live in the UK and I know that many of our traditions and ideas of what is socially acceptable still remain the same as those portrayed in Austens novels - especially simple things like boy chasing girl, girl acting indifferent, introductions (perhaps not to the same severity as enlightenment england, but still...) and family dynamics.
I believe Austen was quite a surveyor of human nature and condition and it is these aspects that never change and she has created characters that are timeless.

I am a complete Austen geek! I am always reading one of her books or her letters or searching for decent completed versions of her last two, unfinished, novels. (...and in between it's Harry Potter!).

and I know that Pride and Prejudice has been over-expossed, but there is good reason for it. It is a fantastic and enduring story. Elizabeth Bennett is, by far, my favourite! (with Anne Elliot and Fanny Price a close second and third! - yes I am in the minority that likes Mansfield Park!). Darcy is my dream man! :blush:

and for anyone who isn't big on reading - I would HIGHLY recommend the 1995 BBC mini-series of Pride and Prejudice (the 2005 movie BLOWS!), the 2007 ITV version of Northanger Abbey, both 1995 versions of Emma are great and Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility is outstanding! The BBC version of Persuassion is also quite good, and the ITV version isn't tooooo bad. Mansfield Park, however...avoid the ITV version with Billie Piper like the plague. The movie with Frances O'Connor is, although not very true to the book, is wonderful! I think Mansfield Park is a book which would struggle to succeed on screen if it was kept true to the book. :innocent:

i read The Mansfield Park and The Pride and Prejudice and loved them both!i would love to live in the times of those books :rolleyes:

Emma is my favourite of Jane Austen's works. I always seem to change my mind when I reread the books though
My blog is actually named after her

I'm right in the middle of Persuasion but P & P is my all time fave book.

Masterpiece Theatre is playing "The Complete Jane Austen" with Gillian Anderson hosting. Mansfield Park (With Billier Piper) was this week and Northanger Abbey and Persuasion were on a few weeks ago.

the first thing i saw related to her was a film adaption of her novel Jane Eyre
it was lovely, the setting,etc.
her stories always seem to center around the idea of getting into marriage

my first novel to read of hers though, was Sense & Sensibility
it was in English class
so at times it was too much
but i love how she writes, her english, her words and tone
and the characters are very rich and deep

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members