Powerful Books

estherlouise

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some help. I am really in need for a powerful read. Something that is either going to make me cry, laugh , think whatever. Just a book that makes me go WOW! So list the books that have affected you in some way or another.
I find it so hard to go into the book shop to look for a book, I feel overwhelmed and end up walking out with nothing.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :flower:

illusions: the adventures of a reluctant messiah
conversations with god

these are two that really stand out for me....
:flower:....

James Frey's A Million Little Pieces

John Knowles' A Seperate Peace

Victor Hugo's Les Miserables

Dave Pelzer's A Child Called It

^ They say A Million Little Pieces is fake.

I would recommend the Poisonwood Bible, it's a beautiful portrayal of Africa although the book isn't about Africa.

The Power of Now
Your Best Life Now
The FOur Agreements
The Mastery of Love

eternitygoddess said:
^ They say A Million Little Pieces is fake.

I would recommend the Poisonwood Bible, it's a beautiful portrayal of Africa although the book isn't about Africa.
Persoanlly I don't care if a million Little Pieces is total fiction. It certainly packs a punch. They say all writing is lying so I don't see how James Frey is different from any other writers (and that's nothing against writers. i love writers. I am a writer). Anyway here are some books that affected me strongly:
-Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (read if you like Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins)
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Keasy (read if you like The Catcher in the Rye, A Million Little Pieces)
-The Bronze Horseman by Paulinna Simons (read if you like Gone With the Wind, The Thornbirds)
-Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (read if you liked the musical or film versions or epic novels)
-A Great and Terrible Beauty (read if you like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or A Little Princess)
-The Quincunx by Charles Pellitser (read if you like Charles Dickens, or the DaVinci code)

Ian McEwan - Atonement
Mary Doria Russell - The Sparrow

tangerine said:
Ian McEwan - Atonement
Mary Doria Russell - The Sparrow
If you liked Atonement try The Cement Garden. I thinkit's McEwan's best novel.

yeah i read fingersmith it kind of shocked me, maybe because I was about 13 but it was good

^^ well, good thing you didn't read Tipping the Velvet at 13! that would've been truly shocking...

electricladyland said:
^^ well, good thing you didn't read Tipping the Velvet at 13! that would've been truly shocking...

haha yeah I heard about that one but when I was young my parents let me read basically anything

Marvystone said:
yeah i read fingersmith it kind of shocked me, maybe because I was about 13 but it was good
I love the way it kept changing your perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vikutea
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->