Jean Paul Gaultier: 1997-2000

^The final bridal dress, in black!! This is the style of couture I wish Gaultier would return to: very sleek and minimal (well, "minimal" by JPG standards) and not so outlandish and over-the-top. Thanks for posting, MagFan.

Oh my god, I love his style very much in late 90s:D Now it looks a bit trashy:unsure:

Haute Couture S/S 1997 - his first HC collection

:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MagFan for posting this great show. Shame that Fashion had to cut them up instead of posting the entire show uninterrupted. The late 90s was phenomenal, and Gaultier's contributions during that time was no exception. The man is one of the last true design visionaries left in the fashion world, and he's so under-appreciated for his trailblazing fashions. This particular show was incredibly rich and influential-- and original, not just in terms of what we would see the following year for his Haute Couture debut, but the mix of draping with volume would be a blueprint for other designers in the 2000s on to follow. I'm hoping Gaultier will look at his work during that time and return to that kind of quality. Not that his current work isn't good, but I can definitely take less of the corsets and bustiers which are verging on caricatures and more of his daft tailoring and draping. And his dramatic set designs are sorely missed nowadays.

And look at all the top girls from that era-- they had wicked presence; my God, girls today are like bland watercolors compared to these rich oil paintings who demanded your attention. I love it when Patricia picks up an orange and starts peeling it! And whatever happened to Yasmeen and Crystal?

Anyone can find more old show pics? Firstview also remove the oldies...

On a Russian site(195.239.40.154),there is a JP_Gaultier_RETROSPECTIVE section.Here is a list.

Enjoy it..Download them ASAP,I found some links are dead.:doh:

That's really great, but those big watermarks "FL" are REALLY ANNOYING.....

Saving the best for last, I discovered the full show video of Haute Couture Spring Summer 2000 :heart:

Thanks Melancholy for the magazine pics.

Gaultier's HC from a decade ago was magical. His current HC offering is like the exact opposite of that to me. I guess retro- kitsch and camp is what his clientele wants from him...

His 2000 Fall/Winter RTW was one of my favourite JPG show because I am a huge fan of these (The Chic and Elegance of Daily Life). The first dozen looks are very much alike his later work for Hermès.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->