source ebay

Attachments

• 221064677_o.jpg
    221064677_o.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 247920043_o.jpg
    247920043_o.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1
I'm a guitarist so of course I love Jimi! Freedom, Night Bird Flying, Fire, Little Wing, etc etc he had tons of great stuff! Aha, he's def one of my personal faves, clothing-wise too. I'd love to dress like that!

source: mptv

the best guitar player ever..:heart:

ebay.com
hf673f.jpg
hf740f.jpg

I've been a massive Hendrix fan all my life, although I was especially obsessive to the point of "autistic special interest" during my teenage years.

A few weeks ago, I was in London and I walked along Brook Street, stopping to look at the blue plaques of Hendrix and Handel, side by side. Since Brook Street is in an area of high-end shops, It got me thinking about his style, which underwent several changes during his final four years of life.

In September 1966, upon his arrival, he was wearing a Burberry-style trench coat and winkle-pickers, and had a few shirts - including a khaki one and a patterned one. I've also seen photos of him wearing a silver/white satin shirt (Big Apple Club, Munich, November '66). It's fair to say that his style was all over the place at this point. He wore a black suit for some of his very early dates in France and London - it was a simple black suit with a large vent up the back, if I remember correctly. His girlfriend, Kathy Etchingham, soon bought him a black shirt with red roses, which he wore for a TV appearance in December and, in early 1967, for the photo session for "Are You Experienced?". He also got two military jackets - one largely black, and the other with extensive gold braids - and a black velvet waistcoat. This particular waistcoat was probably the longest-serving item of clothing in his wardrobe. I've seen photos from very early 1967 to October 1968 with him wearing that waistcoat! He was staying in Benedict Canyon in October '68 and I think the house he was staying in got burgled, because he lost several things - and this waistcoat must've been among the items stolen.

Sometime in late '67, he began wearing hats with satin ribbons above the brim. The "hat period" lasted a long time. He can be seen in "Christmas on Earth Continued", Dec '67, wearing one; he continued wearing hats for concert appearances until late '68 but then reduced the hat-wearing on stage, pretty much retiring it by the end of that year (however, he did wear one at the Albert Hall on 18th Feb '69). Offstage, he continued wearing them. I thought his hat-wearing ended in Feb '69 but I saw a recent picture of him in April '69 wearing one, with very short hair underneath. That's how I knew it was from then: he got an extremely severe crop in April '69, because his hair was full of split ends (it had endured a lot of abuse from curlers, sprays, etc. going back to his Greenwich Village days).

With the short hair came the headbands (for example, Woodstock, August 1969). The headband phase continued until his final truncated tour of Europe in September 1970.

What I have written above has concentrated largely on accessories and hair. In terms of his clothing, he wore more and more psychedelic shirts and trousers as 1968 went on. In 1969, he got a lot of clothes made by Colette Mimram, who designed and made his stage outfits, such as the "butterfly" one (Boston Garden, Atlanta, and Isle of Wight, 1970). In his final couple of months, he was dressing in a more restrained way. Of his final phase, I particularly like the blue jacket with huge lapels, the waistcoat with multicoloured "leaves" and the purple trousers!

A few pics below from various stages of his style evolution:

christmas66.jpg

Christmas Day 1966 with Kathy Etchingham. Photo credit: 25 Christmas Day

clashingprintsjimi.jpg

Somewhere in the States, on tour, early '68. Credit: 10 Jimi Hendrix Looks | IT

31928663_1363980773746850_8082572287166906368_n.jpg

April 1969, Philadelphia. Note the short crop! Credit: David Pearcy fan page

19700530-Photo-Berkeley-Jimi-1024x341.jpg

Berkeley, 30th May 1970: perhaps the only footage of him in which he didn't have his trademark moustache, which had gone from pencil-thin in early 67 to quite full in late 69! He soon grew it back. Credit: The Battle For Berkeley – May 30, 1970

5bb438ea2200005700dc0c38.jpeg

Copenhagen, 3rd September 1970. Jan Persson/Redferns.

Jimi%2BHendrix%2BComing%2Bfor%2Bthe%2BFinal%2BConcert%2BPerformance%2Bat%2Bthe%2BIsle%2Bof%2BFehmarn%2C%2B1970%2B(11).jpg

Travelling to the Isle of Fehmarn, 5th or 6th September 1970 (the concert was on the 6th). Last Train Coming: Rare Photographs of Jimi Hendrix Coming for the Final Concert Performance at the Isle of Fehmarn in Germany, 1970 ~ Vintage Everyday

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->