John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

Benn98

Reaction score
October 6, 2014
John Galliano Joins Maison Martin Margiela
By Miles Socha

PARIS — From pirate costumes to a lab coat: John Galliano, one of fashion’s most romantic, theatrical and controversial designers, is to take over the creative direction of Maison Martin Margiela, WWD has learned.

An official announcement is expected later today.

It confirms widespread market speculation that Galliano was headed to the Paris-based fashion house and despite recent denials by Italian industrialist Renzo Rosso, whose group OTB controls Margiela via a subsidiary called Neuf.

“Margiela is ready for a new charismatic creative soul,” said Rosso, president of OTB. “John Galliano is one of the greatest, undisputed talents of all time — a unique, exceptional couturier for a maison that always challenged and innovated the world of fashion. I look forward to his return to create that fashion dream that only he can create, and wish him to here find his new home.”

Galliano, 53, has been sitting on fashion’s sidelines since being ousted from Christian Dior and his signature fashion house in 2011. It is understood he will take over the design leadership of all Margiela lines, including couture and women’s and men’s ready-to-wear collections.

He is expected to show his first designs for the house in January during Paris Couture Week.

The development marks the return of one of contemporary fashion’s most acclaimed talents, absent from the runways following racist and anti-Semitic outbursts that precipitated one of the most spectacular flameouts in recent history.

It also represents something of an about-face for Margiela, whose Belgian founder was often described as fashion’s invisible man for his Greta Garbo-like ways. Following his retirement in 2009, the house left an anonymous team to carry on his legacy, steadfastly refusing to identify any its members.

Prized for his ultra-feminine, historically inspired designs, and a particular penchant for bias-cut gowns, Galliano is hardly an obvious choice for an avant-garde house known for cleft-toed boots, deconstructed fashions and all-white stores.

Yet the British fashion maverick has wide experience designing different kinds of collections, including more casual ranges for women and men under his now-defunct Galliano brand, known for its newspaper prints, distressed leathers and denim.

OTB noted the appointment of a “visionary, non-conformist” talent would give “significance to the iconoclastic heritage of Margiela, and new impulse to its exciting future.”

The appointment of a star designer like Galliano also suggests that Rosso is keen to bring more attention to Margiela - and willing to risk a possible backlash by embracing a disgraced designer.

According to retailers, Margiela management has recently put the development focus on its secondary line MM6 in recent years as buzz faded around its top lines.

Rosso’s OTB swept in and bought a majority stake in Margiela in 2002, one of series of acquisitions aimed at building a multi-brand Italian group. More recent investments include Viktor & Rolf and Marni.

At the time of Margiela’s 20th anniversary fashion show in Paris in 2009, the founder had gradually reduced his day-to-day involvement in the company, working mainly on special products, including the house’s first fragrance, under license with beauty giant L’Oréal.

While long cloaked in mystery and steeped in conceptual high-mindedness, Margiela ultimately took on a more commercial bent following the Rosso investment, opening boutiques in more established neighborhoods, expanding its offer of accessories, and branching out into lifestyle categories such as home decor.

Upon Margiela’s final exit, the company explored the possibility of naming a new creative director, with Raf Simons and Haider Ackermann among those approached.

More recently the likes of former Celine designer Ivana Omazic had cycled in and out, with London-based Marios Schwab brought in recently as a secret consultant. Industry insiders were familiar with other key talents in the maison, particularly Christopher Booth in men’s wear and Matthieu Blazy, who exited the house Oct. 1 after receiving kudos particularly for the Artisinal couture range, cobbled together with offbeat materials and vintage materials.

Rosso has never hidden his enthusiasm for Galliano, best known for a 15-year stint as couturier at Christian Dior.

“Who wouldn’t like to work with him? If he ever got back his name, I would be the first to produce his collections,” Rosso told WWD on Sept. 18, while also denying that he was joining Margiela.

Brave Kid Srl has produced children’s collections for John Galliano since 2008, a licensing deal that sparked a friendship between the designer and Rosso. According to sources, Rosso was among top industry figures who embraced Galliano and assisted him during his rehabilitation.

Last year, Galliano took up a a three-week designer-in-residence role at Oscar de la Renta, and the designer’s influence was very visible in de la Renta’s subsequent fall 2013 collection.

It was a bold and risky move for de la Renta, who later was said to have engaged the controversial talent in advanced talks of permanent employment, which eventually disintegrated when Galliano pushed to bring his own staff with him.

Foreshadowing another return to fashion, Galliano appeared on French television last month saying he was in the midst of a return “back into creativity,” citing his role as creative director for Russian perfumery chain L’Etoile and as a mentor to four male students at Central Saint Martins in London.

Following a series of drunken altercations that prompted his dismissal from Dior, the designer was charged with public insult, with a Paris court sentencing him to suspended fines totaling 6,000 euros, or $8,400. At his trial, Galliano blamed work-related stress and multiple addictions for his behavior.

He is embroiled in a labor case pitting him against his former employers, Christian Dior SA and John Galliano.

It is understood the designer is seeking compensation in the range of 6 million euros, or $7.6 million at current exchange, for wrongful dismissal. A works tribunal is slated to begin hearings on the case on Nov. 4. 

However, sources said Galliano could be laying the groundwork for a possible rapprochement with Dior — seen as a possibility should the designer withdraw his ongoing labor suit against the company, as reported.

Galliano recently extended an olive branch to Bernard Arnault, chairman and chief executive officer of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, during his television appearance, saying, “I hope one day to be able to visit him, explain what happened.”

A club kid from South London via Gibraltar, Galliano hit the international fashion radar immediately after graduating from Central Saint Martins. With his theatrical flair and inspirations of epic proportions, Galliano immediately became famous for his ultra-feminine gowns, innovative tailoring and a cheeky, streetwise edge.

Commercial success didn’t come as easily. Based in London early in his career, Galliano struggled throughout the Eighties and early Nineties, with a succession of backers. He had to close his business three times after they withdrew their financing because of slow sales growth. 

Still, his technical virtuosity and knack for making fashion headlines attracted the attention of Arnault, who tapped him in 1995 to succeed Hubert de Givenchy upon his retirement, moving the British designer to Dior a year later. “Mr. Arnault is a true visionary to put someone like myself in my position,” Galliano told WWD in an interview in 2007. “Many houses have copied that since.”

At Dior, he succeeded a string of legendary design talents: Yves Saint Laurent, Marc Bohan and Gianfranco Ferré. 

Galliano quickly woke up the brand with his bravado, a broad spectrum of fashion expression and a soaring imagination.

He characterized his shows around 1999 and 2000 as “rupture” moments for Dior, including the so-called “Matrix” couture collection that announced a tough-chic moment, and a hip-hop flavored, Lauryn Hill-inspired show that arrived at the onset of logo mania. He has also sent trailer park babes, bruised boxers and rockabilly types down Dior’s ready-to-wear runway.

His signature collections have been no less spectacular, from Bollywood beauties dusted in colored powders to a charming, oddball parade of childlike cardboard floats and clothes deliberately too big for the models.

Later in his Dior career, Galliano churned out more ladylike and commercial rtw, and ratcheted up references to Dior icons, like the bar jacket, equestrian looks, English men’s wear fabrics and the color gray.

Margiela’s spring 2015 show, with Kanye West in the front row next to Rosso, melded sweet, pioneer styles like floral house dresses with edgier fare like nude bodysuits and oversized Willy Wonka sunglasses.

Margiela himself, one of the original Antwerp Six that put that small Belgian city on the map, could not immediately be reached for comment. According to sources, he has has recently poured creative energies into painting and other artistic pursuits.

OTB is also the parent of Diesel and the manufacturer Staff International. Last year, OTB’s revenues totaled around $2 billion.

Source: WWD.com

Well, I'll be damned!! All those rumours ended up being true then. Very excited about this!!

BIGGEST news of the year (if not this decade) in Fashion Mercato ....
If someone 20yrs ago would have said to me, the young kid buying his first L'Officiel, Vogue etc., that Galliano, who at the time was not even at Givenchy but had Kate Moss on his catwalk and huge connections to produce his shows for nothing, would be the replacement of Margiela ... I would have said "you know nothing witch !" (but I was a kid....)

To be honest, I'm not that surprised today ... Though I wait very patiently to see what he will do.

Good Luck John !
Always heard one never says good luck to an artist, actually. So break a leg, do your best, be strong and show them
(because damn, these margiela nerdscore are gonna wait after you - though i doubt they still even buy margiela) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is honestly one of the most exciting news I've read in fashion, ever. I believe Galliano is a genius and that he will find a way to merge his style with Margiela's iconic vision.

No doubting about John Galliano's level of expertise, but it still seems like a rather odd choice, having him design for the Maison and taking on such a prominent, visibility with it.

This would have probably worked out much differently for the brand if it was owned by somebody like Anne Chapelle. No questioning that Galliano remains one of 'the big names' in the business and will generate a lot of public interest, but I wonder if it doesn't backlash and alienate the last few customers who appreciated that distinctly Belgian discreetness about Margiela's surrealistic designs.

creative director, that means a lot. figure I'll get some appeal from MMM now on.

Incredibly exciting news, but it's so peculiar. :ermm:

And it kind of seems as though Matthieu Blazy was edged out of his position in favor of a bigger name...

Curious to see how this all develops.

agree, it's like shoe horning him at Oscar de la Renta. But I'm glad he will be showing again.

This is HUGE. It makes zero sense to me but oh my god i'm so excited. When the rumors started to flow i disregarded them as weird fashion fanfiction but ... it was true.

I adore Galliano and am extremely happy he'll be back, but this reeks of desperation - something is obviously VERY wrong at Margiela, and it saddens me that this is the way they go about it. I just hope they treat Galliano with respect and not just use him for media purposes. Good luck to him!

i'm so excited!!! i don't even care which house he is at anymore as long as we get new stuffs from him!! yass!

According to The Business of Fashion, he will debut his first designs for the house during Paris Couture Week in January. That's rather soon, no? We wont have to wait very long.

i somewhat understand this, i mean both margiela and galliano were all about craftsmanship and detail so i can see why this move may make some sense. no, their aesthetics are nothing alike but im just so damn happy about this.

I've been oblivious to the rumors so this took me by surprise. This was never a house that came to mind for Galliano to return to, if ever allowed. Now peculiar to have such a high profile designer at a house that was once so shrouded in secrecy.

Definitley the fashion news of the year and at the very least this will be interesting.

:huh:...Oscar de la Renta I understand but Maison Martin Margiela?:unsure:

Well this makes no sense ... people. But what does these days ? Top Tweets ?

I mean Margiela House was mostly based on being anonymous .... And they "relaunched" it with Galliano - the one who "started" the Celeb Designers trend (or was it Arnault)...

All I have to say (because I do not understand this as well) is to support this decision and see what will happen ...

But I must say this is weird to read people worrying about the legacy of Margiela in the days of "chaises musicales" ... Chanel is no longer, YSL is no longer, Dior is no longer, Chloe, Givenchy, Sonia Rykiel, JPG (where Margiela started) is no longer, Carven, Vionnet, Ungaro, and so on ...

I wonder though if he'll work from the archives, as any art director does ? I bet ... For how long would he be able to play the game of the "new talent" at the head of Margiela ? I can't tell ...

I mean it is easy for instance for Marc Jacobs and Ghesquiere, for instance, to work at Vuitton ... the RTW was not real before Marc Jacobs. It was easy to work for Dior ... But Margiela ... I cannot see how someone like Galliano do it (he has a strong history in Fashion History, as much as Margiela, btw) ... It sounds like if you ask Phoebe Philo to design for Raf Simons, or the other way around. But ONCE AGAIN, I feel we have to support him. Not babysit him, but SUPPORT HIM !

(I'm not sure this post makes sense ... I haven't sleep. Insomnia.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very happy for John! He was punished enough!

I'm also very excited to see what he creates for Margiela, this will be an interesting fusion of creative forces!

I'm glad he is joining a brand that's more free and willing to take risks which is perfect for this new stage of John's life, he will make a powerful return, this is already the biggest fashion news of 2014, and for the next Couture week he will be the hottest ticket to get!

CONGRATS JOHN! :flower:

This truly made my day, clapped in excitement over reading this! I htink he could fit very well into MMM, and i hope its a smash for him. Fashion needs talents like Galliano, i only hope he is ready for the pressure again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->