Marni Renews Contract With Creative Director Francesco Risso

tatouejeremie

Reaction score
Risso joined the Italian label in 2016, succeeding founder Consuelo Castiglioni.

By Luisa Zargani on December 23, 2020

MILAN — Marni is banking on Francesco Risso to further grow the brand, renewing the designer’s contract.
“Since joining, Francesco has taken on every bit of Marni’s DNA, whilst fully embracing his role as creative director,” said Renzo Rosso, president of Marni parent company OTB. “His unique leadership covers every aspect of his work, from style to interior design to marketing and the whole digital world, and he can count on an amazing global network of talents to help him express his vision. He has forged a new direction for the brand, rejuvenating it whilst also making Marni his own. I am delighted that we will continue to work together for many years to come.”
The company declined to reveal the length of the new contract, but it is understood it is a long-term agreement. OTB’s decision to reveal the extension firmly squelches recurring rumors about a possible exit of the designer.
Risso joined Marni in 2016, unveiling his first collection for the brand’s fall 2017 season, and succeeding the label’s founder Consuelo Castiglioni.
“Four years ago, I was humbled by the opportunity I was being given,” Risso said. “Today, I am even more grateful for this renewed stewardship. What we have achieved over the past years could not be possible without the trust of Renzo Rosso, the OTB group and the dedication of the teams around me. As the journey continues, I am excited to lead Marni toward the future, with even more creativity, honesty and commitment.”
The designer studied at Florence’s Polimoda, New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology and Central Saint Martins in London. His work experience started at Anna Molinari, and after stints at Alessandro Dell’Acqua and Malo, in 2008 he joined Prada Group to work on the brand’s women’s show collections and on special brand endorsement projects.
“Remaining truthful to the spirit of the house, Risso has pushed the brand beyond its limits, fostering creativity at all levels and turning Marni into a playground for meaningful, artistic dialogues,” the company said. “Risso will continue to expand his vision for Marni, spearheading the brand image at global level and permeating all creative domains, from collections to communications.”
Rosso took full control of Marni in 2015. The brand was launched in 1994 as a fur collection, meant to diversify the production of Consuelo Castiglioni’s husband Gianni and his family’s company, Ciwifurs, a storied licensee for several designer brands. Retailers started asking for apparel to go with the furs and then accessories.
The Castiglionis first showed men’s wear together with women’s wear for spring 2002 and the category had its first solo runway show for fall 2006.
Risso has so far led Marni with an unwavering independent spirit and vision of fashion — and a touch of bravado. For spring 2021, the designer planned an ambitious video presentation: a livestream that would integrate narratives of more than 40 friends filmed in 12 cities around the world, from London and Shanghai to Dakar, Senegal, and Grand Island, Neb.
For Marni’s men’s fall 2020 show, Risso and choreographer Michele Rizzo were inspired by Prince Prospero, the protagonist of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Masque of the Red Death,” who locked himself in his safe castle to escape a horrible pestilence. In a dimly lit room where the audience stood on benches, the duo created a dance performance with young men and women slowly gyrating to tech music.
For resort 2021, Risso kicked off his Marni-Festo, “showcasing the essence of Marni,” he said at the time, instead of creating a new thematic world.
His designs are characterized by clashing prints, vibrant colors, deconstructed silhouettes, generous volumes and asymmetric cuts. He often injects naif or grungy vibes into the looks, which have a young and rebellious attitude. Risso is also drawn to Surrealism and the world of Alice in Wonderland — even taking his bow at the women’s fall 2020 show disguised as the White Rabbit.
Commenting on 2019 OTB financial results earlier this year, the group’s chief executive officer Ubaldo Minelli told WWD that Marni continued to evolve, reaching out to younger, international customers as 50 percent of them are now below age 35. In 2019, sales increased by more than 8 percent, with accessories accounting for 58 percent of the total. Last year, Marni opened eight stores, including a flagship in Tokyo’s Omotesando, and the first unit in Maximilianstraße, Munich. There are 76 directly operated Marni stores and 24 franchised units. The brand is available at more than 450 wholesale doors.
OTB has been looking to expand its portfolio of brands, which includes Diesel, Maison Margiela, Marni, Viktor & Rolf and a minority stake in Amiri, as well as production arms Staff International and Brave Kids. As reported earlier this month, sources say OTB is looking at acquiring Jil Sander, which is owned by Onward Holdings.
The group last fall renewed John Galliano’s employment pact for Maison Margiela. Galliano was appointed creative director of the brand in 2014.
wwd.com

Is weird that I want to hold like a funeral for Marni among like 99% of other brands and put them to rest. This is getting to be too much. Starting to convince myself we all died 2 years ago and are in hell lol

I guess the sales have been working? It would be hard to justify keeping someone during these times unless they are selling quite well.

I haven’t seen many people wearing marni. I guess he’s doing something well. I kinda respect otb giving time to it’s designers.
This designer however hasn’t got me convinced at all. The worst kind of pretentious. I wouldn’t even use these clothes for diy rags.

Maybe Ms. Wintour have a say in this because beside her, I don't see a lot of people wear Risso clothes anyway.

This is why OTB maybe slightly better than other conglomerates. Because only Mr. Rosso can tolerate designers that in the first 3 years. Same thing with John Galliano, wasn't his Marigela finally started to make profit at the end of 2019 and that wasn't because of the clothes but the Munity perfume. Can not say the same thing about LVMH and Kering cause if you don't triple the profit in your first 3 years then bye bye, lol.

This is not bad news indeed. Maybe he did something right!

I want to like his risk-taking attitude and defiance in a time of nothing but blandness...but so many of his shows have terrified me. He demonstrates you can keep working in big brands without having any clue about what beauty means.

I would love for him to shut me up with a terrific show in the future...but I won't hold my breath

Good for him. We don’t need another unemployed designer out there I guess.
I hope he stops with his Art-School design project tho.
I guess the sales have been working? It would be hard to justify keeping someone during these times unless they are selling quite well.
Their menswear is doing well apparently even if some of the womenswear crowd. But I’ve came across some of the womenswear lately and the commercial pieces do have some Marni cute prints.

Maybe Ms. Wintour have a say in this because beside her, I don't see a lot of people wear Risso clothes anyway.

This is why OTB maybe slightly better than other conglomerates. Because only Mr. Rosso can tolerate designers that in the first 3 years. Same thing with John Galliano, wasn't his Marigela finally started to make profit at the end of 2019 and that wasn't because of the clothes but the Munity perfume. Can not say the same thing about LVMH and Kering cause if you don't triple the profit in your first 3 years then bye bye, lol.

LVMH and Kering at some points were like this too. If you think about the creative peak years of Kering, only Gucci and BV were profitable. Balenciaga started to be profitable in 2007. I think YSL became profitable a year later. Stella was never meant to be a big house And while the houses made money, they did not have the cash-cow beauty business to pump their sales.

If you look at LVMH, it was also the same. Except for Vuitton, Fendi (and Dior), they really took a long time to find the right vision for every house.

When you passed 1B or are near that, it changes the nature and expectations of the business.

Everybody loved Clare’s Couture for Givenchy but nobody bought her clothes or bags...

What-ni?

This brand was briefly it for like 20 seconds, just let it die.

I think maybe he's doing something right for Marni.
We look at the brand differently from them, we look at the collection from a different point of view.
For example, my boyfriend buys Marni's clothes. He notice the change of the design, but he still likes it and think it's quite Marni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mihxxen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->