Justine Parons - Photographer

ellastica

Reaction score
It's quite surprising the lack of online info on this talented photographer, esp in this day and age...hopefully this thread will change that! I first remember seeing her work in SPIN magazine in the early 2000s back when I subscribed. She has a wicked sense of humor and color matched with a no-nonsense, raw photographic aesthetic.

An excerpt from "Our Cameras, Our Selves: The new breed of fashion photographer is young and female -- and she'd rather take pictures of life as she knows it than shoot glossy cover girls". Gleaned from New York magazine's website:

There's a new cadre of fashion photographers, all of them women and, refreshingly, all of them with nothing but a camera to grind. These photographers -- Elaine Constantine, Elinor Carucci, Ellen Nolan, Vanina Sorrenti, Liz Collins, and Justine Parsons -- are less concerned with addressing the welter of female stereotypes before them than with just doing, or shooting, their own visions. And so they do, for the coolest-kid magazines in fashion: Italian Vogue, French Vogue, Surface, W, The Face, Harper's Bazaar.

Jalouse November 2001
Photographer: Justine Parsons
Model: Valerie Sipp
Stylist: Toshio Takeda
Hair: Thomas Hintermeier at Garten NY
Make-up: Chris Anne Davis for NARS

808f179d8e6f.jpg

b30019da8e7c.jpg

credit: Minerva13
source: bellazon

"Pour, Little, Rich Girl"
Jalouse US November 2001
Models: Valerie Sipp and Lindsay Wilson
Stylist: Toshio Takeda
Hair: Thomas Hintermeier at Garren NY
Make-up: Chris Anne Davis for NARS

credit: mateica83
source: top.fason.ru

Justine shot Wilco's Summerteeth album cover in 1999:

wilco-summerteeth-338-300.jpg

source: nonesuch.com

Bianca Casady shot by Justine Parsons in VOGUE Italia and i-D:

biancacasady2.jpg

biancacasady3.jpg

biancacasady1.jpg

source: hintmag.com

Jack White and Meg White of The White Stripes shot by Justine covers SPIN October 2002:

This issue came with a fold out poster which I still have somewhere. I'll take some snaps if I can locate it...
FWhiteStripes.jpg

source: coryjacobs.net

A New York Times article on photographer Philip-Lorca diCorcia published September 5th 2000:

''I'm attracted to the narrative, to the fact that the pictures are somewhat dangerous and very American and completely unsentimental,'' said Justine Parsons, a young fashion and portrait photographer, who freely admits to the impact Mr. diCorcia has had on her work.
source: nytimes.com

She has a very limited website with a handful of images from her portfolio.

A VOGUE Paris (?) spread styled by Emmanuelle Alt:
NVOJ1l53_EjS2mKczbXbQZXlWQ7gqq9oiir3hs40wiJJZbWkRdfm9EWrHc-4gp972g67EQmC14wE5fkJL11AYT8=s808

source: justineparsons.com

Italian Glamour continued...

bLsaR6xi8UCzMhZGsVULIL_iTB78abrj4qN44UBq6byk0aHmEh8ge8KRFPRzDdfS06W9991EV8QgUCk4IPkx=s1027

FXeJ-2og4zB_4_SEK7bGAJDRzqBQLJeTcihR43m9ZmZp3ZG1sTfStUf21g1KOK34DsQihALiuRw1tyluLsElog=s1023

P-0otpdc7uSLZ5fvOOSjPZgnrAuYgFLb4fqDid5M4GYB_shPS5Sl5B4p6_6VbglIAjof8m8XY0I-QYLHTi72uuQ=s1021

source: justineparsons.com

Various editorial shots by Justine:
jp.curly_500_60.jpg
jp.mouth_500_60.jpg

source: ferideuslu.com

In the title of the topic error,she Parsons not Parons
Photo:Justine Parsons
Model:Nancy Hagen

Bellazon

L'Officiel (Russia) October 2002 # 41
''Venetian Story''
Photo:Justine Parsons