Les Hommes

faust

Reaction score
Hey, all. I just wanted to share my musings over the new young belgian fashion team, Les Hommes. It's the second season that I've seen their creations, and I am very impressed. The clothes are innovative, sharply tailored and of the highest quality. Even though their designs remind a little of Ann, Raf and Xavier, they definitely have a different, trademark, feel to it. These guys are a breath of fresh air in men's fashion, at least for me. Unfortunately I don't have much info on them, save for the page from www.modenatie.com (which should be bookmarked for any belgian fashion guru :lol: )

LesHommes

The fashion-house ‘LES HOMMES’ has recently been founded in Antwerp, Belgium.

‘LES HOMMES” stands for the two fashion designers Tom Notte and Bart Vandebosch. Both graduated with honour from the well-known fashion department of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Antwerp. The Antwerp Academy is famous for its strong vision and avant-gardism, which determines and influences the modern international fashion scene in a very personal, individualistic way. Antwerp designers stand for identity and vision. Tom and Bart form an inseparable duo since they first met at the Fashion Academy of Antwerp. Both are very charismatic designers, with a strong personality to match. Strongly supported by their press agent Kuki de Salvertes (of the Girault – Totem agency in Paris), who is known for his nose for discovering and nurturing new talent, they have combined forces and created the luxury label ‘LES HOMMES’.

‘LES HOMMES’ is a contemporary men’s collection. The feeling of luxury is always very present; slick tailoring and a perfect fit, in combination with movement and nonchalance, are also very important. It is all about volume, structure, fit and clean lines and this results in an elegant, nonchalant chic, while at the same time a sense of fluidity and movement gives a poetic feeling to the collection. Therefore Tom and Bart like to describe their collection as Modern Nostalgics.

LESHOMMES.jpg

I certainly agree with that article. Actually,I think they're one of the freshest labels in menswear these days. They have a slight feel of their compatriots but the execution of what they do for men is quite different. Especially the way they work with volume is none like you see much in menswear...in fact you see this type of workmanship in womenswear so its definitely a highlight.

Its funny they both decided to do menswear since both of them had actually designed womenswear during their graduation collection.

Speaking of which,a little more info,Bart graduated in 2001 and Tom Notte in 2000-same class as friend of mine. They're both extraordinary construcivists which is no surprise considering where they both come from.

I took a look at the summer 2003 collection at firstview... Horrendous stuff, mostly. But they seem to be good technically and they do have a certain something I like. I'd love to see more from other collections!

Originally posted by tott@Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:28 pm
I took a look at the summer 2003 collection at firstview... Horrendous stuff, mostly. But they seem to be good technically and they do have a certain something I like. I'd love to see more from other collections!
Like anything that comes out of the belgian fashion design, you must see it in person to appreciate it. The craftmanship and attention to detail is incredible.

I love Les Hommes :heart:

there deisgenrs are quite amaizng, i lvoe how they do such mdoern urbane clothes, but with such a touch of omance, btu its beyond that even, its quite cool stuff.

I like the Les Hommes label very much. Though I'm not keen on majority their color choices, I do love their cut and construction. :heart: I very much agree with the article. :flower:

I love their general aesthetic. But what's most striking about their designs is how closely they resemble those of Dirk Schonberger - another one of my favourite designers.

I don't mean to imply any sort of copying going on, IMO it simply means they are both part of a certain movement in menswear today. No designer can truly claim to be entirely original, anyway.

But, as always, the line would probably never be carried in any Canadian retailer. Thank god there's eBay :ninja:

Originally posted by Orochian@Mar 17th, 2004 - 1:33 am
I love their general aesthetic. But what's most striking about their designs is how closely they resemble those of Dirk Schonberger - another one of my favourite designers.

I don't mean to imply any sort of copying going on, IMO it simply means they are both part of a certain movement in menswear today. No designer can truly claim to be entirely original, anyway.

But, as always, the line would probably never be carried in any Canadian retailer. Thank god there's eBay :ninja:
Man, you really MUST take a trip to Antwerp. Unless the Canadian $ sucking as bad as the US $, you are going to have fun there.

Antwerp is definitely *the* city I'd head to if I were planning a trip to Europe. Unfortunately being a full-time grad student, money and time aren't exactly in plentiful excess for me :(

The Canadian dollar is quite strong right now, but that doesn't mean much for a shopaholic like me. It'd be easier to save up the dough for the trip IF I WOULD JUST STOP BUYING :P

But someday, someday, I swear, I'll terrorize every square inch of Antwerp's retail spaces. B)

I am a big Les Hommes fan as well. Only own one shirt from last season, but love the cutting. Expertly tailored and incredibly high quality materials...
Hope I can squeeze more in my wardrobe at some point.
Pete

Thanks for the link Scott. :flower:

I love how the site's composed - almost like an unofficial fan site, very user friendly and unpretentious, and none of that over-the-top-artsy junk that sometimes designers are prone to *cough*dior homme*cough* :P .

i like it a lot. i would wear it if i were a guy. actually, i would still wear it. i'm looking for baggy sweaters anyway.. might as well try mens sweaters. i doubt i'd be able to wear the pants or anything else though.

O*,can't agree with you more. Of course,this may just be an initiation until they're able to get a good graphically enhanced site going.

As for the clothes,I was very impressed. Nothing really reminded me of Raf or Hedi....maybe in spirit with its moody,urban dweller feel but the clothes were actually quite refreshing.

Thank you, Scott!

I think I will be adding a piece by them this season (unless Pete buys everything before me :lol: ).

Originally posted by mode_addict@May 18th, 2004 - 12:29 pm
can anyone lead me to where i can purchase their pieces?
A boutique. 125 Crosby Street, NYC. I don't remember their phone #, but I can look for it at home.

Originally posted by Scott@May 18th, 2004 - 6:59 am

As for the clothes,I was very impressed. Nothing really reminded me of Raf or Hedi....maybe in spirit with its moody,urban dweller feel but the clothes were actually quite refreshing.
yes I agree

Originally posted by faust+May 18th, 2004 - 1:02 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faust @ May 18th, 2004 - 1:02 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mode_addict@May 18th, 2004 - 12:29 pm
can anyone lead me to where i can purchase their pieces?
A boutique. 125 Crosby Street, NYC. I don't remember their phone #, but I can look for it at home. [/b][/quote]
thanks. i'll be sure to visit when i'm in the city. what's the price range? i'm in dying need for an extreme low u neck sweater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Len84
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->