Mamma Mia! The Movie

ibimus

Reaction score
Meryl Streep Signs On to Headline Film Version of Mamma Mia!
by Broadway.com Staff

510891.jpg

Meryl Streep Meryl Streep has signed on to play Donna Sheridan in a forthcoming movie version of Mamma Mia! according to Variety. Phyllida Lloyd, who directed the show in London and on Broadway, will make her feature film directing debut. Judy Craymer of Littlestar and Gary Goetzman of Playtone will produce; Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson will executive produce with Abba songwriters Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus. The Universal release is expected to begin filming this summer in London and Greece.
Catherine Johnson, who wrote the book for the musical, has written the screenplay for this story of a bride-to-be who never met her father and was raised by a formerly rebellious single mother (Streep). After snooping in her mother's diary, the daughter invites three likely paternal candidates to her wedding, hoping to identify her dad by the time she walks down the aisle. The show includes 22 Abba hits including "Dancing Queen," "Super Trouper," "Take a Chance on Me" and "The Winner Takes It All."

The casting of Streep, widely hailed for her 2006 performance in The Devil Wears Prada, is a major coup for the film's producers. "She was always at the top of our wish list, and she encapsulates the spirit and energy and has the powerhouse qualities that character requires," Craymer told Variety. Streep sang onstage in Central Park last summer while playing the title role in Mother Courage and onscreen alongside Lily Tomlin in A Prairie Home Companion, but Mamma Mia! will be her first full musical.
Mamma Mia! recently celebrated its fifth anniversary on Broadway and is an enormous money-maker; currently, there are 11 productions of the stage show playing in seven languages around the world.
</SPAN>

When I first read this, I was like "No! No! No!"... then I was like "Oh right Donna...." I actually don't really care very much for Meryl Streep.

I do care about who plays Sophie though...

Meryl Streep & Pierce Brosnan - Mamma Mia! (2008) x1HQ

celebutopia

:woot: Thanks!

Colin Firth is in this too. ^_^

and Amanda Seyfried plays the main character Sophie. She played Karen in Mean Girls. :ninja: I just hope that she's good enough to play my favorite character in my favorite musical of all time.

^ yes! I get so excited everytime I see the trailer. I think it will be great!

I can't wait to see this! I love Meryl Street, and Colin Firth. Pierce Brosnan is an added bonus. But most of all, I like ABBA songs, can't wait to sing a long in the theater! Quietly, of course.

I can't wait to see this. :buzz: I've always loved Meryl... so this is bound to be good!

i loved this film haha im rather ashamed to say i listened to the soundtrack before haha :ninja: such a girly feel good film :heart:

LAY ALL YOUR LOVE ON ME = best scene of the whole film. Ugh.
Pierce Brosnan should not sing ever again. That's all I have to say. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndresKlayr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->