Marfa Journal Issue #21 2024 : Agyness Deyn by Ethan James Green

A bit off-topic but back when he was a model, EJG was also a Meisel fave right? I remembered him being shot by Meisel on some occasions

More of Agyness Deyn by Ethan James Green:

A bit off-topic but back when he was a model, EJG was also a Meisel fave right? I remembered him being shot by Meisel on some occasions
He also have a VI cover with Amanda Murphy, and other along a group of models! Maybe he was always a fan. Meisel said he as a kid used to look very close to Avedon and Penn in his mother mags. Let's not forget before SM, this pair inspired him. Meisel eds for British Vogue were a non-stop Avedon tribute. But it wasn't only like that. At VI he was pretty original as well an create such a universe not even ETJ can recreate. I don't imagine him doing an 80 pages story of models doing plastic surgery or in rehab like the master.

Yes, him and Yuri were his comfort zone boys during those years.

Vogue could never. Absolutely loving this, easily one of the best covers/fashion shoots I've come across this whole entire month. Wonderful to see Agyness Deyn and I will always be down for Ethan James Green doing his best Steven Meisel impersonation... :heart:

I didn't know that...thanks guys...he shot him for Vogue Italia?
Yes, he appeared on three covers:
April 2012
1075249-800w.jpg

And two separate covers for July 2013 (he was the gimp in Stella's cover )
Ethan-James-Frederik-Meijnen-Louis-Steyaert-Vogue-Italia-July-2013-01a.jpg
Vogue-Italia-July-2013-Steven-Meisel-05a.jpg

Finally, he appeared in "Spellbound" from W Magazine in September 2012:
steven-meisel-w-sept-spell-bound-8181206.jpg

models.com / malemodelscene.net / deisgnscene.net / anneofcarversville.com

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if Meisel's like this when he sees new work from EJG:rofl:
View attachment 1272528
Maybe it is his protegeé...i wonder Meisel must be really private/close person so maybe he taught something to him so he can develop his career...it's a weird way to keep the legend alive, a little ego-driven but who knows...anything is possible...

Ethan was a sort-of protégé to David Armstrong, actually. He seems to have started out as a model, worked with photographers Armstrong connected him with and picked up stuff along the way.

Next to Avedon's work with Marilyn and Claudia(?), this cover shot with Agyness looks even more tepid.

EJG copies Meisel, who copied Avedon. It's the circle of fashion. A never-ending "reinvention" or repetition, etc., etc.

I don't mind it when it's done right. Here it is done right because Agyness is really delivering.
It's great, and definitely nostalgic to see her again like that. And I love the cover. Its easy but fun. The layout is great, and makes it even more cheeky, which works really well with the styling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->