Martin Margiela artisanal collection - Paris

nqth

arndom
Reaction score
from
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/25/style/FASH26.php

Martin Margiela has taken his penchant for recycling upscale. Although his collection was named "artisanal" rather than "couture," it added up to one-off clothes - although not the kind you would find in a traditional Paris salon. The Belgian designer had used bead necklaces, weighted and measured to give them perfect balance as they veiled a corset. Sandals straps were remade into an openwork leather top; and butterfly-sleeve spangled blouses from the 1980s were reconstructed as party dresses. The artisanal collection also embraces men who see a vest made of playing cards or bottle tops more intriguing than bespoke tailoring.

Does anyone know anything about the presentation (or show?) ?

its nothing new, i believe the 'artisanal' line has been around since some time now, please correct me if i'm wrong

Yes, Lena. I mean the presentation or show of the collection. Or mayby she (Suzy Menkes) just dropped by the store:-P

Last edited by a moderator:
let me check with wwd.. nothing about MMM there

it was a private presentation and no press was invited.

^ are you sure it was? we certainly need to know more

sounds really good from what you posted nqth...:heart:...

the spring collection looks much better in the store than it did on the runway too...
turns out all of that 'melting ice' nonsense was just for the show and the pieces are actually beautiful and pristine in the store...

there was also a vintage handbag completely covered in strips of shiny blakc 'gaffers' tape...^_^...
so-essentially a 'one off'...
they did other bags...but since each was vintage, each is one-of -a kind...
price somewhere in the thousands...
i don't remember exactly but i think somewhere between $1000-$2000....
*for a vintage bag covered in TAPE...:o...

^_^...it makes me giggle...
especially because it is actually GORGEOUS...!!!

softgrey said:
there was also a vintage handbag completely covered in strips of shiny blakc 'gaffers' tape...^_^...
so-essentially a 'one off'...
they did other bags...but since each was vintage, each is one-of -a kind...
price somewhere in the thousands...
i don't remember exactly but i think somewhere between $1000-$2000....
*for a vintage bag covered in TAPE...:o...
Time for me to buy some ducktape and go to a second-hand shop. :P

Sounds lovely!! Maybe they'll get some info on his web site soon? Still pretty much under construction at the moment.

Although his collection was named "artisanal" rather than "couture," it added up to one-off clothes - although not the kind you would find in a traditional Paris salon.

I'm not quite sure what she means by this? I didn't think "one-off" ever really had anything to do with the Parisian HC salons....one-off,I always assumed had more to do with free-hand,spontanaity...a bit "off".

I think the coloured melting ice accessories was a really, really beautiful idea. If I get to perfecting it, I'm going to try it on a white outfit when I go partying on a hot summer night. It adds a dimension of unpredictability to the fashion. Just don't know if it might take on the appearance of a "wet t-shirt" contest, which would be all wrong.:ninja:

scott-you have mis-interpreted...
one-off is a synonym for one-of-a-kind...
one time only...

nothing 'off' about it...:P...

There are some very clever pieces, and some very beautiful pieces
It feels truly Raf to me, especially in terms of how he uses materials (shiny unsettling one in particular)
I have to think about it a bit more, though...my first reaction is friendly but not necessarily in love

I agree
its consistent

photos are from firstview
70c71af5.jpg

08df19a4.jpg

13cfb7b5.jpg

I am getting a bit of a Balenciaga vibe, especially from the first piece. Very Balenciaga patchwork top IMO.

seeing_double said:
I am getting a bit of a Balenciaga vibe, especially from the first piece. Very Balenciaga patchwork top IMO.
martin margiela, nicolas ghesquiere, kaisik wong....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->