Maxim Repin - Photographer

Veranika's test shots

[courtesy of Maxim Repin]

^Me too, as far as I know his work, he has always been experimenting on lights and motions.

Tests with Charlotte Pallister @ DNA

One more from the same series, actually my favorite

I LOVE REPIN! He is such a sweetheart :heart: !! His work is amazing, i find it unique and beautiful! B)

New tests, model: Victoria Anderson

mariemaud.canalblog.com - courtesy of Maxim Repin

More tests with Victoria Anderson @ DNA

More recent works, with Ilse Suvaal @ DNA

[mariemaud.canalblog.com - courtesy of Maxim Repin]

With another Dutch girl from DNA, Merel Geelen, I love what he did with her especially due to her fresh and doll-like look getting well with his dark atmospheres.

One of his latest series, with Isabelle Nicolay, new face at Ford NY

Right now yes, but he has many stories published in L'Officiel Russia or HB Russia, I think some print work is to be released soon.

Does he mostly test?

like Penny pointed, in Russia he regularly got publications, but as i said previously, they are for me rather disapointing, very (too) classicle.

I must say i have mixed feeling about that generation of young photographer focusing all their work on pose/expression and using mainly natural lighting, i dont think just about Repin, but Eric Guillemain gives me exactly the same feeling.

When u consider all elements included in a high level editorial; make up, hair, stylism, story...their very good natural pictures maybe dont make confident any fashion editor to order them an editorial with all these elements to manage it includes.

I think that's one of the reason their progress is a bit slow, it is because their style is really great to look at, but is still very far from what magazines needs.

^It's an interesting point indeed. I prefer his test works and I'm actually very fond of Eric's work as well for the same obvious reasons. They focus more on the expression, the moods and the movements while magazines focus mostly on clothes for a lot of them. So, they might not be very demanding of photographers who don't care much about clothes or make-up.

On another hand I think their time will come, maybe slower because of the reasons above but some magazines, probably not mainstream high-sellers at the beginning at least, will start being interested in such visions. Soon... or later.

I agree Penny. Photography is about emotion, expression, mood and movement. Fashion, hair and make up is important but without the right expression is useless. give them the time to get the right team and they will be there.

Beauty story with Daria Strokous

maximrepin.com

like Penny pointed, in Russia he regularly got publications, but as i said previously, they are for me rather disapointing, very (too) classicle.

I must say i have mixed feeling about that generation of young photographer focusing all their work on pose/expression and using mainly natural lighting, i dont think just about Repin, but Eric Guillemain gives me exactly the same feeling.

When u consider all elements included in a high level editorial; make up, hair, stylism, story...their very good natural pictures maybe dont make confident any fashion editor to order them an editorial with all these elements to manage it includes.

I think that's one of the reason their progress is a bit slow, it is because their style is really great to look at, but is still very far from what magazines needs.

i've been thinking about fashion photography in emerging fashion scenes (Russia, China, Brazil etc) so i thought i may put my two cents here.
there two main problems here. first one is the absence of infrastructure per se (meaning industry at all). local professionals are the ones to be pioneers of fashion industry/publishing/photgraphy. they had merely no chance to get a proper education or expirience meaning there is no culture of doing fashion in these countries. there's no tradition, no heritage, no aesthetic (as say, in New York, London or Paris). these people work in that unpredictable 'go and try' mood, where result of their work is unpredictable, intuitive - it's nothing compared to productions like major studios and photographers do. that said, fashion photographers are more of creators left on their own within their quite poor resources and their own imagination and understanding what's right. there is very little methodical approach to their work, things are badly planned (if are planned at all), and therefore they are executed not as good as key players' work. what we experience in post-Soviet countries, as well as in BRIC and other emerging markets is that these professionals are the first wave of creatives to exist (in scale of international scene). they don't have the habit, the understanding what it takes to produce a vogue image. that is why oh-so-often these works even though is quite impressive itself has very little to do with the zeitgeist and to add to the general aesthetical/cultural dialogue taking place in the industry. to put it short, it lacks context, something fashion imagery has to deal with.
the second reason is kind of derivative. it's the absense of production base. technically it's quite DIY. if you look at Maxim Repin's pictures you will definitely notice they lack this sort of post-production that the Box can provide. very often these are photographers who retouch their pictures themselves and it's not a common practice to run print tests and all that stuff required to produce a high quality image.
so i think the main problem with it is the inability (technical as well as aesthetical) to deliver an equivalent product. of course, there are people who push the envelope and do their own thing, but this lack of experience and understanding of how the whole machine works leads to nothing but losses in quality.
maybe that sounds a bit harsh and off-topic as well, but this is my personal observation which, i think, brings some light into the question of why people do what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->