• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Maxim Repin - Photographer

Totally agree with jadorekapusta. Speaking about Eric Guillemain again I remember having seen one of his pictures and a few months later saw it again for the Moschino campaign and was so glad for him...Except he did not shoot it !!! Sometimes you just need a big name and the production that comes with it to make the big step.

Eric Guillemain:

Patrick Demarchelier :

Totally agree with jadorekapusta. Speaking about ]

I agree at 100% with jadorekapuste as well. And i think Repim in giving himself a try in NY is the best thing possible for him, as clearly about fashion photography it is another world than in russia, so if he has the talent, and if there he if can find the right surounding to add what it miss to his work, it might make it.

For the comparaison of demarchelier and Guillemain pics, it is not unsual particularly in more commercial works.
i might sounds harsh, but there is honnestly nobody in fashion photogaphy which for me has done really anything new since, many many many years.
and guillemain and repim are refreshing "back to basic" pics , but still it miss clearly the "wow" factor that no fashion photographer have succeed to produce for many years.

A few years back I believed at a moment that the "over digital" works of Nick Knight might open a new way, but i ve been disapointed of the evolution of those works too.
I think about him caus clearly for me, the most interesting work of repim are his blury/colorwashed pics, like the last 2 of the serie Penny posted. There is some great vibes and mystery in those pics when he goes a bit abstract, some vibes that was too in some Knight's images, and i think it is that particular style he should try to push and to make eveoluate further. At the oposite, his BW work are for me rather weak.

It seems you want to be "impressed" fritmayo, so I don't think you will ever find the "Wow" factor anymore. I don't think the near future of fashion photography resides in the "Wow". In my opinion, the wow pictures from today are the more vain and even so ridiculous sometimes....Everybody needs to start all over again with fresh eyes and purity so just allow these young guys to do their jobs.
Magazines and directors already begins to sense that (see Dan Jackson or Alasdair McLellan..) they just need (and we all need ) to forget the hype sometimes, because "Hype" along with "Wow" is soooo boring.

It seems you want to be "impressed" fritmayo, so I don't think you will ever find the "Wow" factor anymore. I don't think the near future of fashion photography resides in the "Wow". In my opinion, the wow pictures from today are the more vain and even so ridiculous sometimes....Everybody needs to start all over again with fresh eyes and purity so just allow these young guys to do their jobs.
Magazines and directors already begins to sense that (see Dan Jackson or Alasdair McLellan..) they just need (and we all need ) to forget the hype sometimes, because "Hype" along with "Wow" is soooo boring.

when I say wow, i dont think only at the esthetic side, i mean to be surprised by something, but it can be something from disturbance, shock, lightness , story, whetever.
i mean to see something which seems something really new. I see new things in other field of photographies, but not so much in fashion photography, like is most young photographers forget that fashion photography is more than portrait.

New pictures by Maxim. Model is Mirte Maas from Women NY and I think the new series counts among his best so far.

[courtesy of Maxim Repin]

A few more used in Mirte's book at Women NY
43551195.jpg

mariemaud.canalblog.com - courtesy of Women NY

^ these are so beautiful. loved the hand-lock posing, something that compliments the girl's 'not quite there' vibe.

^Totally share your point on this, he captured exactly what makes Mirte so special!

And his picture was taken for her Paris showcard, by the way.
mirte_maas-1.jpg

models.com

Here's a new interview with him from digital-diamonds.blogspot.com :crush:

Coming from Ufa, Russia, Maxim Repin is one of those photographers you could call a real "artist". Not only has he gained success with shooting for magazines like L'Officiel or Harper's Bazaar, but it's especially the test-shoots he does (for instance, IMG NY) which keep you staring at his images. With the focus on the "beauty of the moment", the mood and vibe a girl radiates in front of his camera, Repin never fails to take amazing pictures which leave a lasting impression. In his tests, it's not about perfection and the goal to showcase the girls from their best angles - it's much more the way they can express themselves, let their emotions shine through. Which Maxim is trying to catch with his camera, just in the right moment.
And looking at his work: he defenitely manages to do so, very well!

1. First of all, have you always wanted to be a photographer? How did you get started in the business?
Well for me, studying art and photography, was a whole different world with a lot of setups and digits: aperture, exposure time, distance to object, focusing, getting the film developed etc.
But when I finished art college, I needed good images for my diploma project. It would've been way too expensive and complex to hire a photographer to whom I could explain my ideas, make him take the pictures etc. So I tried to do it myself.
The result was pretty good but still a bit "green". I was satisfied with these images, but for me it was still hard and unclear to photograph.
Later on, some people from advertising agencies saw my pics and suggested me to do some shoots for money.
Then I started to do a shootings once in a while, but it wasn't something serious to me.
I continued studying in art academy and tried photographing models.
After finishing art academy in Ufa I have worked for a local ad copmany a few years.
But I was ed up with all that advertising stuff very soon and I moved to Moscow where I started doing tests for models and later also editorials.

2. What makes a girl interesting for you to shoot with her? Is there a certain "type" of model you prefer?
I dont know, I just see the face... especially eyes! I like when a girl has a certain sparkle in her eyes - to me, having sparkling eyes means life!

3. Before a shoot, do you talk to the model you are going to shoot with and try to make a connection? Or do you rather wait and then get inspired by her actions in fron of the camera?
It depends what kind of shoot I do! If the shoot is for some magazine, then of course I talk with model and try to explain my inspiration for the shoot (with pics, music, text)
When it comes to test-shootings: no. Either the connection is there from the beginning or not. It's like something spiritual, I just try to set a special atmosphere for the shoot and let them move free and see how it works out.

4. You work with a lot of New Faces, do you prefer photographing them in natural styling, very pure and letting their own personality shine through or do you rather enjoy seeing how they transform into different characters, with make up and well-conceived styling?
I dont like too much styling or make-up in tests. I prefer to shoot people natural, how I see them and how I feel about them. I don't try to make them look especially beautiful, that's just not important to me. I also don't like overly retouched and polished tests.
And moreover, I never use a special light scheme or something, I just use the daylight.
For editorials it's different and depends what kind of story I do. Sometimes I photgraph girls completely without make-up or a special styling, and then, there are shoots where they are completely transformed: with clothes make-up & hair.

5. What is your definition of "natural beauty"?

Two words: early morning :smile:
Being a natural/ true beauty is being beautiful all the time!

6. Is there always some kind of concept you bring to a shoot, or do just let yourself get inspired by the mood on the set/ the model?
For test shoots I like impressionism. I try to do it all fast and just shoot without thinking about it too much - so I don't destroy the "freshness" of the moment.

7. Do you think good movement and the charisma in front the camera, is something a girl gets born with, or is it possible to learn all these things?
I think nowadays it's kinda hard to find a model who has all the skills from the beginning on. I mean, they probably all have these skills inside of them, but it just takes time to learn and develope. But there defenitely should be a "special something" from the very beginning. At least it's important for them to be confident in front of the camera.

8. Is there anyone (photographer, painter, model, any person) who gives you inspirations for what you do/ someone whose work you admire?

My inspirations come from art: music and paintings mostly. But I can get inspired from anything.

9. Which kind of camera do you work with?
I work with different digital cameras and a 4X5, which I use with instant films.

10. If you could chose one model to shoot with (from any decades) who would you want to have in front of your lense?
Don't know, I really like working with New Faces.

Thanks for taking the time and answering our questions Maxim!

New tests, with Antonella Graef @ Supreme

courtesy of Maxim Repin

And a few more new tests with Maddie @ Supreme

courtesy of Maxim Repin

Thanks for all the pictures and interview. I like his style. His photos are moody, in a good way.

Some recent tests with Andreea Diaconu @ IMG NY

[courtesy of Maxim Repin]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->