Messenger Bag Or Backpack Advice:

As You Like It

Proponent of Plaid
Reaction score
I need a new backpack and was considering a messenger bag style, as they look like they'd be pretty convenient, but I wondered if anyone here used them while cycling. I wondered how well they stay put, and how comfortably they actually do balance out the load. Would I be better off sticking with a conventional backpack?

I need to be able to carry up to 6 library books, a couple of pieces of fruit, a cup of yogurt, a small makeup bag, a notebook, and miscellaneous paperwork (bills, notes, ect) my wallet and checkbook.

The bag needs to be a very bright color for visibility. Yellow, orange, or lime green for choice. Also, a reasonable price is of the essence. Under $50, if possible. It does not need to be beautiful; just bright, durable, and capacious.

Any suggestions?

Buy a paperboy's one in shocking orange and embroider it with slogans of cool, little cute ducks and prints by jean-cocteau. It would be post-modern irony. Maybe.

The best bags I have used or seen are made by Timbuk2. They meet all of your requirements except price. They have an excellent web site where you can "build your own" in terms of colors, features and accessories. Strongly recommended.

I have used lots of cheaper bags. They are considerably less durable, less well designed featurewise, and generally less attractive.

The load you describe is both heavy and having many corners (six library books!) and you will need a strong bag.

Timbuk2 bags are built by and for bike messengers. They will go the distance. And no, I do not work for them. :smile:

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I think the Timbuk2 will be ideal, actually. The $50 cap was mainly a deterrant to stop people coming in and taking the mickey by posting $2000 Gucci concatenations. $60-100 is actually manageable, and those do look like they would be the right kind of thing...good size, bright colors, and designed by and for cyclists.

Better luck even, there's a shop in Lawrence, KS that sells them, so the next time I'm visiting friends in Larrytown, I will have a look in the shop and make a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noircheese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->