Most Important Runway Shows by City

MyNameIs

Reaction score
Is it possible to come up with a ranked list of shows for each city based on their 'eliteness'? I tried to compile a list of 'most prestigious' shows in each city and rank them more or less by their 'importance' or 'prestige'.

NEW YORK
Calvin Klein
Marc Jacobs
Alexander Wang
Proenza Schouler
Michael Kors
Donna Karan
Oscar de la Renta
Rodarte
Ralph Lauren
Carolina Herrera
Thakoon
Anna Sui
Diane Von Furstenberg
Narciso Rodriguez
BCBGMaxAzria
Vera Vang
Marc by Marc Jacobs
Tommy Hilfiger
Zac Posen
DKNY

LONDON
Tom Ford
Burberry Prorsum
Giles
Christopher Kane
Preen
Matthew Williamson
Erdem
Mulberry
Mary Katrantzou

MILAN
Prada
Gucci
Versace
Jil Sander
Fendi
Emilio Pucci
Salvatore Ferragamo
Bottega Veneta
Roberto Cavalli
Etro
MaxMara
Giorgio Armani
Missoni
DSquared2
Gianfranco Ferre
Moschino
Alberta Ferretti
Marni
No.21
Just Cavalli

PARIS
Balenciaga
Givenchy
Chanel
Miu Miu
Louis Vuitton
Lanvin
Balmain
Christian Dior
Saint Laurent
Valentino
Isabel Marant
Anthony Vaccarello
Chloe
Celine
Stella McCartney
Hakaan
Alexander McQueen
Elie Saab
Sonia Rykiel
Emanuel Ungaro
Nina Ricci
Dries Van Noten
Viktor & Rolf
Giambattista VAlli
Jean Paul Gaultier
John Galliano
Rochas
Gareth Pugh
Rick Owens

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I'm thinking this could be a cool standalone thread. Do you mind if I move it to one? Could be an interesting, ever changing, discussion.

^ I'm thinking this could be a cool standalone thread. Do you mind if I move it to one? Could be an interesting, ever changing, discussion.

Sure. I just wasn't sure if there would be much interest in something like that. I'm always fascinated by it though. :lol:

Sure. I just wasn't sure if there would be much interest in something like that. I'm always fascinated by it though. :lol:

It would be a perfect list if Just Cavalli is replaced by Roberto Cavalli.:P

I’d say the most important casting in Paris is Chanel’s. The girl who opens the rtw show has her success guaranteed.

Frida Westerlund who? And Ashleigh walked Givenchy before, but it wasn’t until she opened Chanel that she became one of the hottest models of the moment.

I’d say the most important casting in Paris is Chanel’s. The girl who opens the rtw show has her success guaranteed.

Frida Westerlund who? And Ashleigh walked Givenchy before, but it wasn’t until she opened Chanel that she became one of the hottest models of the moment.

Opening-wise, you're probably right. Overall? I'm not sure. The reason is that Chanel has such large casts, that sometimes it feels like everyone who's in Paris gets to walk in their show.

I don't think so... There are many girls involved, but it's usually quite coherent. I don't have the "everyone fits" feeling I get from Balenciaga, for example (or even Vuitton). Although I agree that 'in general' it's not that relevant.

I think Givenchy used to be one of the most relevant casting some years ago, right now... not so much. There's still some hype, but so many exclusives end up doing nothing.

By the way, as I said in the other thread, Céline castings are way more important than those of Chloé, Vacarello, Lanvin, Balmain or even Valentino...

Miu Miu reminds me of Givenchy in terms of casting (not by the casting itself, but because of the lost relevance). Too many gimmicks end up doing nothing after some time, and it's not Prada after all.

Miu Miu and Givenchy definitely load up on the gimmicks, love this thread, it's cool seeing how many good shows your favorite girls walk.

Personally I would add Altuzarra to the New York list, usually has a pretty strong cast with a lot of established girls.

I’d say the most important casting in Paris is Chanel’s.

Why? I don't think so at all. Yes, he's quite loyal but mostly a lot of fillers as well.
That's the problem with many casts in Paris though. Givenchy is always trying to launch a model's career but they ALWAYS fail (except in Joan's and Saskia's case). Yuliana Dementyeva, Kelsey Van Mook, Ranya Mordanova, Antonella Graef, Daniela Braga, Stef van der Laan, Dafne Cejas, Alexandra Martynova are just a few names of models who didn't get picked up by someone else. And they got dumped from Givenchy as well.
Lanvin isn't trying to be trendy and is quite loyal to their faves, but is quite filler-ish as well.

Balenciaga, Miu Miu and Louis Vuitton are the hyped shows where a newbie gets the chance to show herself to the audience. And I just love the veterans they bring every season. Definitely my favourites in Paris.

^ Along the same vain, Prada and Calvin Klein exclusives are usually crazy hyped post-show but don't always rocket to success (Prada being the more successful).

Interesting thread!

Saint Laurent is too high in the list imo. It has really gone downhill for me now that Slimane is the creative director. And I would add Dolce & Gabbana to the list.

Great thread. We should assign scores to these shows and create a season ranking system!

Why? I don't think so at all. Yes, he's quite loyal but mostly a lot of fillers as well.

Yes, maybe I was thinking more about opening the show, which is definitely the most important feat of the whole fashion week, than the casting as a whole. It is definitely not a 'model-maker' casting, but I think it's a lovely one overall: very coherent, they are very loyal to the models, it has identity, they use new models but sometimes they go for old favourites of Karl... And yeah, there are some fillers, but considering Chanel shows are +80 outfits, it's understandable. The thing I like the most about them is that they are not very 'self-aware', I can tell they do it by their preferences and not trying to find the next best thing desperately... Which is the thing that has killed the 'prestige' of Givenchy or Miu Miu, even of Louis Vuitton. They took themselves too seriously and they never get it right anymore...

By the way, which models have gained some momentum after walking Anita’s Balenciaga? Or even Wang's show… Their only success has been Aymeline, and she has never been that ‘top’.

Last edited by a moderator:
^That's been done before, but it would be cool to see how it pans out from the beginning of the season!

^^We should make 'tfs.com Top 50 casting list' and update it like models.com... :lol:

Re: Balenciaga and Wang, early days to gauge success, but currently Anna Ewers. She debuted at Balenciaga last season, and opened Wang this season.

I think for most girls it's a dream to be a Gucci regular. Now they are really loyal to their girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->