Neiman Marcus' Kaner to Retire

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Published: Thursday, October 20, 2005

Neiman Marcus' Kaner to Retire
By Sharon Edelson

NEW YORK — Joan Kaner will resign at the end of the month as senior vice president and fashion director of Neiman Marcus, a position she's held for 16 years.
Burton Tansky, chairman and chief executive officer of the Neiman Marcus Group, expressed disappointment over Kaner's departure, but said the company wasn't entirely caught off guard.
"Joan had indicated some interest in this occurring, so it gave us a chance to think about it," he said.
However, he added that he does not have an immediate successor in mind.
"She has been one of the pillars of fashion for many years and we will miss her. She has extraordinary eyes for spotting new talent and her vision always proved to be correct."
Oscar de la Renta
"Now that this is a public issue the search will get more intense," he said. "A great deal of the decision would be from the store group. Karen Katz [ceo of the Neiman Marcus stores division] and her team have to talk about it. We're going to look for the best person out there, whether it's someone inside our company or out there. Filling Joan's shoes is not going to be an easy task."
According to sources, Herbert Mines Assoc. will be awarded the search. Possible candidates include Robert Burke, senior vice president of fashion at the Neiman's-owned Bergdorf Goodman; Michael Fink, senior fashion director of Saks Fifth Avenue, Julie Gilhart, vice president and fashion director of Barneys New York and Ken Downing, vice president of corporate public relations, who does fashion presentations and oversees the store's fashion shows and special events.
"I wouldn't say there's a big talent pool," said Elaine Hughes, president of E.A. Hughes & Co., a search firm here. "Thirty years ago every retailer had fashion directors. I would say the best pool would be the magazines. If you look at Elle and Vogue, the editors really have to have a point of view and an eye."

excerpt wwd.com...

this is MAJOR!!!...
:o

joan kaner
wwd.com

Attachments

• jk.jpg
    jk.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 51
OMG! I have always loved Joan Kaner's taste.
No Michael Fink, please...

Any news on what Kaner's next move will be?

Julie Gilhart?? Although,she could indefinitely build Nieman's credibilty for strong design talent-as she's been doing for Barney's-but I see no reason why she'd even think of departing.

I don't know much about this lady. I first started noticing her from the backstage/frontrow pictures on style.com. She always looks so gracious, very much different the usual image of those so-called successful contemporary American businesswomen (which image I have never found appealing).

Talking about Neiman Marcus, I haven't been to many NM stoes, but to be honest, it's really not so much attractive to me. From my experience at NM stores in Boston, SF and Chicago, it looks like their understanding of contemporary men's fashion is always Prada/Etro/Dolce&Gabbana, and most ridiculously Just Cavalli !! And even for Prada/Etro, they alway buy those very boring and uniform-looking pieces. I guess it's all because of the customers they cater to, those older, conservative rich gentlemen with bland taste.

^yes. Nieman's is not so great,imo. Maybe the one in NY is better but overall the stock is horrendously tedious.

we don't have neiman marcus in ny scott...

**i know that they are very specific in terms of their buy and they cater specifically to their customer in each area of the country...
which is a huge part of their success...
you will not find the same things in all their stores...

they also really support young designers in a much more substantial way than any other specialty or dept store...
because they can make much larger orders, being a large chain...

while barney's might be prestigious...
there are only a few stores and they don't place large enough orders to really make a difference...
they are also quick to drop you...on to the next hot 'young' designer...
whereas joan kaner will stick with you and help you develop if she believes in your talent...
**and as the person in the article stated...
she is always right!!!...she just really really GETS IT...

**joan kaner is HUGELY responsible for ralph rucci's success...

the article said she is going to spend part of her time at her summer home or something...
sounds like she is really retiring...:ermm:...

and good for her...:heart:
but i will miss her elegance and on-target commentary ...
she is a legend in american retail...
a real 'class act'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->