• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

New Designers - Funding, Publicity and Marketing Your Line

I think a good idea would be to have it sent out to smaller publications first, specially around yoru hometown to create a sort of local celebrity image. That way it would be easier for bigger publications to notice, instead of coming out of nowhere, good reputation in your own hometown is key i think.

How to get publicity and buyers to come to your fashion ( for a new line) ?

Hi my mother and I are going to launch our debut collection in August and we are having a fashion show ( it's at an art gallery opening) and I was wondering how to go about inviting buyers and press to the show, and how to actually get them to come?
Should I send out a press release with our look book to get a bit of publicity before the show to various newspapers, blogs ect?
We kind of jumped in the deep end with this venture and now we need to figure out a way to actually sell the clothes! Any advice that you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

Yes ... send out press releases and your look book to every local magazine, newspaper and well known bloggers ... maybe even the local TV and radio stations ... you never know when they might need a filler or something and might provide a bit of free publicity. Send invitations to everyone you can think of who are local. Don't forget the local boutiques ... they are potential buyers.

Best posible scenario would be to hire a publicist for this ... they know how to reach the appropriate people and how to garner some interest. If you can't afford a PR firm, if you could find someone who works in a PR office who likes to moonlight (Craigs list or something like that?) ... that would be less costly and might still be more effective than doing it yourself.

Good luck!

I'm currently doing a bit of PR work for a local designer(And when I say a bit I mean all of it) and so I thought I'd bump this thread up.

I do have a question though, what constitutes a good press kit?

I'm currently doing a bit of PR work for a local designer(And when I say a bit I mean all of it) and so I thought I'd bump this thread up.

I do have a question though, what constitutes a good press kit?

Better late than never...

A press pack could contain:
  • History, biography and/or overview of designer/label
  • The most recent lookbook
  • Contact details

And can use the following format:
  • “For immediate release" (upper left-hand, all capitalized)
  • Headline. Just a sentence.
  • Date, city
  • Main paragraph
  • Body
  • Bilerplate. End as short paragraph with a description of label, products, services and a short history.
  • Contact details

Usually you press release when the following situations occur:
  • Launch of your new collections
  • New major distribution
  • Designer collaborations
  • Celebrity tie-ins

markese91, could you share your PR experience with the designer you were/are working with? :wink:

New designers sending their samples to buyers

I sent my sample dresses to an established buying office who scout for luxury department stores in North America and Europe in New York City which they received last Monday and still haven't heard anything. I added a cover letter that said if they weren't interested, they can send it back through Fedex by reference number to my office in another country so they don't have to pay anything. I know there was a hurricane over the weekend, but why aren't they replying to me? I also sent an email when I sent the samples to say they are coming.

How long does it take for the buyers to reply? Do I need to call or email again? The reason why I need those samples back if they are not interested is because they took two months from the manufacturer to make and cost me money.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great thread! I am also a new designer looking for ways to market my line :smile:

I agree with Jibrielle, these threads about publicity and marketing are really great. It's awesome to see people being so generous and helpful with their advice :smile:

Publicity Agents in North America

Howdy All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a digital PR company based in North America?

Basically we're looking for a publicist that doesn't need our actual product but can instead work with flat lay, lookbook and campaign images.

We're still a small label but would like to start building our profile overseas. As such, we can't yet justify sending samples all over the world! Actually, if anyone knows of this kind of agency anywhere outside Australia that'd be great :smile:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Companies that Fund fashion design projects.

Morning all.

I am a aspiring Fashion Designer from the UK in Birmingham. I have recently started a project and I am now on the search for funding.
If anyone out there is aware of any company that provides financial support for aspiring fashion designers worldwide/ UK then please leave the appropriate information. Thank you!

Let the search commence!
x:wink:

Hey,

Im a young designer trying to market myself, i have a limited budget and need more ideas on how to get myself noticed.

I have already gone down the route of giving stylists i know free garments, im gaining abit of a following on myspace as well. Other things ive tried is giving free stuff out to boutiques and some magazine editiors. Ive been told to hire models to wear my stuff in clubs etc but does this really work?

Its hard work and i gave up everything to pursue this passion so if any of you have some good ideas on how i can get noticed please let me know!

Good afternoon, fashion designers can sell their garments online at
https://marketplace.asos.com/?WT.ac=ASOS_topnav_UK

It's worth checking out. Click on the 'boutiques' tab all information is there.

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by suggesting this as I just wish to help designers!

;-)

Approaching Fashion Retail Companies With Your Design Ideas/ Photoshop Portfolio.

I have a vast amount of designs and I wish to select a few to submit as a collection to a fashion retail store. If anyone has experience of doing this then please reply. Thank you.

I'm not sure where you are going with this request.

You did not clarify if you just want to sell a line the you already have in production to a big store ... or if you want to sell your line to boutiques. You didn't say if you are already in production or not, actually. Or ... you said that you want to submit "ideas" ... so maybe you are searching for someone to produce your line or hire you as a designer? So, it's hard for someone to talk about their own experience if you have not laid it all out.

But, here's a thread about the whole process of designing a line and getting it going ... and it also lists a bunch of other releated threads, so maybe you can find some information related to you specific situation in one of these: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f9...l-line-see-post-1-related-threads-101663.html

Hope this helps.

On average, how much does PR cost annually? Especially amongst smaller agencies. I'm not really sure where to ask this question, but I believe it's worth asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->