Nicolas Ghesquière - Designer, Creative Director of Louis Vuitton

they literally consume it.. and gone after the season. Im sure lv men client base doesnt care about their wardrobe and care more about what looks good in the present. Definitely "disposable" luxury, they are after all mostly the ones funding the womens wardrobes :D
I suspect that this year LV's revenue (as a standalone) will surpass the whole Kering group. Kudos to Nicolas

NG coming to LV was a stroke of genius. Arnault made me an LV customer when previously I wouldnt be caught dead in an LV store.

It seems like the appointment of Pharrell has kinda woke him up to be more visible.
I know it’s a struggle for designers today to embrace the celebrity part but between the YouTube series and the new interview for Le Figaro, he is putting some efforts!
Nicolas has such a lovely personality. I wonder if he's still single. I hope he's getting lots of vitamin D.
Nicolas is never single lol

Uh likely bc all that stuff is worthless now. NG at Balenciaga was not like TF Gucci or DH with Hedi. Im thinking she thought it would be valuable by now. But its just out of date expensive clothes.

Oh fun - let me buy a 12 year old coat. Who is doing that ?

This is a trap some fashionistas fall into … at least she had the bravery to sell it rather than hold on it insisting that its something. How many people I know with closets full of designers nobody cares about. They thought their romeo gigli coat would be priceless when really nobody even cares.

It seems like the appointment of Pharrell has kinda woke him up to be more visible.
I know it’s a struggle for designers today to embrace the celebrity part but between the YouTube series and the new interview for Le Figaro, he is putting some efforts!

Nicolas is never single lol
He's been with Drew for 4 years now, and they bought a house together in LA...

I would have been interested in getting the shaggy pieces from fall 2002 but tbh, her platform to resell is too difficult to get for my millennial self.

I bet Nicolas has already build his own archives otherwise he would have bought it.
Uh likely bc all that stuff is worthless now. NG at Balenciaga was not like TF Gucci or DH with Hedi. Im thinking she thought it would be valuable by now. But its just out of date expensive clothes.

This is a trap some fashionistas fall into … at least she had the bravery to sell it rather than hold on it insisting that its something. How many people I know with closets full of designers nobody cares about. They thought their romeo gigli coat would be priceless when really nobody even cares.
Tom Ford for Gucci was kind of worthless during a small period too.
I think the hype around Balenciaga by NG will come later.

As I said in a thread, nobody expected Margiela to become what it became when he was around.

But indeed, somebody buying stuff with the thought that it would be iconic later is a gamble.

In general, the nostalgia for a designer’s work comes when he is not around.

This is a comically unpopular opinion.

he literally revived the house down boots. all of this comparison was uncalled for and that's just the business when it comes to "collecting" instead of buying to wear RTW.

I have some of the pieces from that era and I must say they are so technically interesting. His razor sharp finishing is truly way ahead of his time and super neat. I don't know how much they are worth in the market but to me it's special and I keep it for myself.

I have some of the pieces from that era and I must say they are so technically interesting. His razor sharp finishing is truly way ahead of his time and super neat. I don't know how much they are worth in the market but to me it's special and I keep it for myself.
It’s not worth that much now, except for obvious collections but it’s a good time to purchase it.
What you are saying about quality is exactly that.

I already have a mini Lanvin by Alber collection. When he was at the helm I didn’t buy that much but now, I’m rediscovering things and buying pieces here and there.

The pieces and the quality of those garments is unmatched. Today, nobody cares about Alber’s legacy but in reality, those designs, those cuts and those finishings will probably never be replicated ever again in fashion.

We have taken his work for granted. It’s so specific that it is timeless.

The pieces and the quality of those garments is unmatched. Today, nobody cares about Alber’s legacy but in reality, those designs, those cuts and those finishings will probably never be replicated ever again in fashion.

We have taken his work for granted. It’s so specific that it is timeless.

I think you're very clever to collect Alber's Lanvin.
I actually recently started to wear and collect some of Lucas' menswear for Lanvin which was also very well constructed and often made with interesting fabrics.
I was surprised how many runway pieces can still be found in excellent condition for very reasonable prices, especially compared to today's mediocre quality of some houses.

Ghesquière's Balenciaga and Alber's Lanvin were really the peak of designer RTW. It was almost couture-like in the way they were more like ateliers than fashion brands. Creating and managing this sort of operation in today's climate would definitely require the designer to have a few screws loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->