Oprah refused entry at hermes store

Status
Not open for further replies.
^well it was close to the park and my parents liked trees...

anyway what i meant was paris is more 'segragated' than london. but this really isn't the forum for this...

Travis is right - this is not the place to be having this discussion. Please let it end here.

dint oprah throw Tommy Hilfiger out of her show?
apparently he said smething like his clothes are not made for coloured people?

Snow-White said:
dint oprah throw Tommy Hilfiger out of her show?
apparently he said smething like his clothes are not made for coloured people?

urban myth...never happened....

Feel glad if you've never felt firsthand racial discrimination. In my experience you know it and feel it when it happens. It is only made worse when you have people dismissing your experience because it's never happened to them or they simply don't "believe" it would occur.

Oprah has never played the ""race card" in the past. She is intelligent enough to know the difference between polite and offensive treament. If she says her race was a motivating factor in the treatment by Hermes then I believe her because I have no reason not to. I question why so many are quick to say race was not a factor in her treatment as though it is simply not a possibility. Ask any person of color who gets followed around posh shops or excluded from V.I.P. areas if race-based treament doesn't exist in upscale stores. I'm sure your perspective would be different in their shoes.

this is a transcript - re cap thing from Oprahs 20th Season premiere, in which she discussed the incident with the audience, and cleared everything up.

source - oprah.com

For the first time, Oprah is talking about the much-reported incident at Hermès in Paris. "Just about 100 percent of everything you read was flat out wrong," Oprah says. "Shame on anybody for thinking that I was upset for not being able to get in to a closed store and buy a purse—please. I didn't get to be this old to be that stupid. I was not upset about not getting to buy a bag—I was upset because one person at the store was so rude—not the whole company."

"… There were reports that I was turned away because the store was closed. The store was in the process of being closed—the store was very active. … The doors were not locked. My friends and I were standing inside the doorway, and there was much discussion among the staff about whether or not to let me in. That's what was embarrassing. … I know the difference between a store being closed and a store being closed to me."

"Everybody's who has ever been snubbed because you were not chic enough or thin enough or the right class or the right color or whatever—I don't know what it was—you know that it is very humiliating."

Hermès has since introduced sensitivity training, and Robert Chavez, the president and CEO of Hermès USA, is very sorry for the trouble and embarrassment Oprah experienced. "I'd like to say to you that we're really sorry," he says, "for all of those unfortunate circumstances that you encountered when you tried to visit our store in Paris. … We really try to service all of our clients all over the world. … It was an isolated incident. It is not who we are."

Just thought some of you guys might be interested! :flower:

scott.

ps - the guy in the pictures is Robert Chavez, CEO of Hermes USA. In case anyone was wondering

Attachments

• 20050919_106_350x263.jpg
    20050919_106_350x263.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20050919_107_350x263.jpg
    20050919_107_350x263.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2
What about the average "North African" on the street? Can't they go to Hermes?

hasn't oprah got anything better to do with her time? - blah , blah, blah.....

(tounge firmly in cheek)

i was delighted with todays show, shows to go all the speculation for was really nothing. she set the record straight, and had the president of hermes on. how cool was that. i :heart: oprah although i don't watch often. :lol:

actually travis_nw8 she has got better things to do, thats why the hermes issue was only briefly talked about, pretty much so she could clear up the rumours.

and then she went on to donate $10 MILLION of her OWN money to the New Orleans hurricane relief efforts etc, part of her Angel Network Charity!

Go Oprah!

^^ many people think that, but I believe alot of the money oprah reportedly makes a year goes back into business stuff, tax, etc.
so really, i doubt $10 million is just 'spare change' to Oprah, despite the fact that she is worth billions.
$10 million, is alot to anyone.

Thanks for posting the update. Good to know that all is well between Oprah and Hermes. :rolleyes: :wink:

oprah got down to new orleans before the president did. and she actually talked to people. she talked to people, she touched them, she went into the superdome, she wasn't afraid to be seen without makeup, to be seen crying, and to say what was on her mind.

the president of the country didn't do that. kanye west was right.

and $10 million dollars is a huge amount of money, i don't care who you are.

^What does any of this have to do with Oprah not being able to get into Hermes?

^ i think meme527 is just making a valid point about Oprah, because further up it was discussed that Oprah should do better things with her time rather than discuss the hermes isssue. and that $10 million is much to Oprah.

and meme527 has shown that Oprah HAS indeed got better things to do with her time. :D
it all ties in!

Is this a bit weird but my bf and I see Oprah like others see Jesus... She's just so lovely! :woot:

One day when packing for Paris (hours before the flight, staying for a month) he got reallt stressed and I rand him and told him to thinki of Oprah. When I met him in Paris I asked how it went and he said, "I just thought about big smiling Oprah and everthing just worked..." hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->