Pastelle by Kanye West

I know he loves fashion and wants a part in it..but
I think we should shine light on
designers that actually invent things
not celebrities who make colorful
hoodies(we have enough)...I like Kanye..but for his music
and style, not his design ability

Last edited by a moderator:
Liking fashion doesn't mean that you should be a designer, nor does the fact that he went to art school before deciding to pursue a music career (how one turned into another I have no idea). I mean, are all of the people here on tFS who follow fashion religiously suddenly becoming designers?

It's no different than saying "I like listening to rap music, I'm gonna be a rapper."

I'm pretty sure he always wanted to be involved with fashion. Music was money. And he knew he was good. He said it in an interview once. Maybe you guys should do your research before our jump to conclusions.

^ I've been questioning that for a while now, with all of these celebrities launching their own labels.

It's probably a bigger issue than just celebrities being narcissisistic enough to think that they can do anything and everything in the world. It's that with the increasing interest in fashion in the mainstream media due to shows like Stylista, Americas Next Top Model and Project Runway, fashion is being viewed as just another form of entertainment now, a venue in which to perform and show off. Fashion has been so fully integrated into pop culture (here in the States anyway) that it's gotten to the point where it's just another way to cash in on your 15 minutes of fame.

absolutely ... nothing new actually under the sun ... that just increases more and more .... more and more fashion students in the 90s, Fashion becomes a tvshow in the late 90s early 00s ... and now celebs are doing fashion lines ...

Fashion is living what Art has gone through some decades ago, it seems ...

anyone is thinking of a phD about that ?! ^_^

oh it's dreadful....as most are.....such a rip-off of every hoodie you see from bernhard or kim or cassette playa...

as far as celeb designers,what concerns me more is the discerning of what these people do and what a true designer does? just like these collaborations for mass and high-street shops....can the majority of people truly distinguish what is genuine,integral higher quality design and what is just disposable,mass manufactured crap with no soul? that frightens me more than any name on a piece of fabric,quite frankly,at this juncture. people are being deceived into believing that all of this is what fashion is....celebrity and mass market.

people are being deceived into believing that all of this is what fashion is....celebrity and mass market.
That's what really concerns me, too. It's not like fashion doesn't have a hard enough time with the public...most people think it's all about skinny models and selling you things you don't need. But, as we all know, it's SO much more. So with the deluge of celebrity "designers", I'm afraid that it'll take a much longer time than we may all have hoped for the public to accept fashion as the art form it really is.:doh:

I'm pretty sure he always wanted to be involved with fashion. Music was money. And he knew he was good. He said it in an interview once. Maybe you guys should do your research before our jump to conclusions.
Well to me, that says it all right there. He's willing to do something that so many people dream of doing just to make money from it, so much so that he put off his supposed dream of being a designer. If Kanye wanted so badly to be in fashion, he should've worked to be, not waited until he had international fame to cash in on. And that whole "I've always wanted to be in fashion" thing is what every celebrity designer seems to say. Regardless of whether it's true or not, it doesn't come off as very sincere or meaningful when it's coming from people who waited until after they made a name for themselves doing something entirely different to take the leap. People who really and truly want to get into fashion, design or otherwise, don't start a music career before they do it.

And I'd like to reiterate that liking fashion doesn't mean you should be a designer. That's why fashion school is so important, because without it you can't know if you really do love designing or just love the fantasy of what being a designer is.

LOL! If I was good at singing, needed money to pay off for an accident I was in, I'd be all over that microphone. No time to dream! If this were a nrmal person they wouldn't be criticized so why kanye?

If this were a nrmal person they wouldn't be criticized so why kanye?
But that's just it! If it were a normal person, and they cared so much about fashion design, they would have attended art school, studied fashion design, gotten an internship, and then a job (and although all might dream of a runway designer job, most will not get that position ever).

So you expect us NOT to criticize these celebrities for starting their own fashion line? As an aspiring designer, myself, seeing people who aren't even designers...they're musicians, actors...socialites:shock:...so easily and painlessly starting their own line, on a whim...it's INCREDIBLY frustrating because here I am, willing to work my *** off for years to hopefully become a head designer somewhere sometime in the future, and here Kanye is, "I think I want to be a designer." And here he is now...he's got his own line, not knowing anything about patterns, draping, textiles, construction, etc. It's just despicable, really.

whatever i think this is great. you guys criticize everthing way too much in this forum

Liking fashion doesn't mean that you should be a designer, nor does the fact that he went to art school before deciding to pursue a music career (how one turned into another I have no idea). I mean, are all of the people here on tFS who follow fashion religiously suddenly becoming designers?

It's no different than saying "I like listening to rap music, I'm gonna be a rapper."
sometimes i feel sorry for people like that
i see them too often
not sure what it is
there is something else you need to be able to design
a kind of sensitivity to colour, line etc
someone who can stop in their lives to notice something
it seems something ingrained in personality

i have seen people try to design
and it just goes nowhere or it's just a flat out copy
missing a soul like Scott says

i feel there is truth to "natural talent" or born talent

-

i work in a team at the moment and our head (parallel to designer) is just the wrong fit...
she has a hard time with her decisions,
if something looks good or not
she doesn't trust herself , always asking for the general consensus or a second opinion
She doesn't know what looks right in the colour
doesn't have that other "sense"
Sometimes work goes slowly and the head gets impatient so we work faster and things look terrible... and she doesn't even notice :blink: So we say nothing and the work just gets sent off...

generally she has to hire basically everyone
a designer, a printer, a sewer, every type of person ... even an organiser and someone who decides what to do next...
so what does she do really in the company?? she is basically the face of the brand, the more talkative, charismatic one and in a sense, the best to promote a label..

I think he quoted this in his song Stronger ...
You should be honored by my lateness
That I would even show up to this fake sht
So go ahead go nuts go ape sht
Especially in my Pastelle on my bape sht
Act like you can't tell who made this ...

:lol:

uurgh...personally, it's always so depressing to see smaller, independent designers with enormous talents, ambitions, visions and trained skills like Jens Laugesen and Camilla Staerk had to close their businesses due to financial difficulties; when everyday, there is another crop of celebrities, quasi-celebrities, fashionista-wannabes with clothing lines attached to their names...I really want this fad to end quickly, as in NOW

ugh!

nothing against Kanye -- i sincerely believe that he has a great interest in fashion and i'm certain that he's got some measure of talent in it as well -- but i am SO tired of this hipster look. it's almost exhausting at this point. once a trend trickles down to the 14-year-olds, it's time. to. move. on.

p.s. kanye, i know you'll be reading this thread. i love your new album! the minimalist sounds rock! it really is something new. Welcome to Heartbreak is probably my favourite.

because he truly does care ... enough to obsess over it all.

and just because he's super successful and super famous, doesn't mean he can't find a bit of time each week to read about himself. people in his position never get there unless they have egos to match their success. and obviously, kanye does.

so i'm actually quite certain that he reads this ... because it's about him. and he really does care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->