Polyester is the New Name in Paris Fashion (WSJ Story)

I am quite resistant to this "trend", generally, as I prefer the feel of natural fabrics (namely cashmere, wool, silk) to the feel of itchy poly..
But then, when designers use synthetics it tends to work. I have a 100% poly Nina Ricci blouse and it's just as beautiful as all of my naturals.

The H&M association with synthetics ruin them for me, though..

i wonder how this fits into the whole eco-friendly trend...

:unsure:....

kinda flies in the face of all that imo...
:innocent:...

yes good point :P

i think maybe in trends , it's always about going two ways
two contrasts

one headed one way
and then there is the "counter" , going against it, going the other way ...

but oh! :o it's possible to recycle polyester threads for fabric...
i'm sure i saw it somewhere today
because you can change them with heat ... to create 'new' threads

poly directly on skin is a disaster. i hate the feeling.

for me, cotton is still king. can be made deliciously soft yet sturdy enough. it'S breathable and organic. what's not to love?

yes you can recycle polyster, its a process called PET so that would be another "brownie point" for polyster!!

:woot: thank you karenlevy1!!

description from OwenCarpet
P.E.T. (Polyethylene terephthalate) polyester is produced from recycled soft drink bottles which are produced under the rigid standards imposed by The Federal Drug and Food Administration. When converted to carpet fibers those same properties produce vibrant color which is inherently stain resistance and provides for years of durable beauty.

so polyester can be treated to look and feel like silk or cotton... but does it also behave the same way on the skin? (meaning these "high-end" polyesters that Lanvin and Narciso use)

how do u mean behave..jungla_juana...

my mom and cousins who grew up in the 70s , said they hate polyester, she said they were so many accidents involving people getting burned and because its synthetic it would meld on peoples skins , esp dacron but I guess technology has changed , because I dont think upscale designers would use polyester out of the blue , it must have improved but I havent worn an upend polyester product yet

behaves in the sense that, apart from being soft like silk and cotton, does it let the skin breathe the same way as these natural fibers do?

i think the way polyester is being produced today will allow to breathe a lot easier than in the past... I cant see Lanvin etc.. using a fabric that doesnt breathe..
There is a great polyester in Reiss in the UK its 90% polyester and 10% elastane. Has anyone seen it? its fab, light and airy and you cannot tell its polyester.

yes the high end is definitely breathable
high quality should mean comfort

i hear it's called microfiber
where the holes are small enough to not let water go through but are big enough to allow evaporation (of sweat, etc)

also i often read about Issey Miyake developing and improving fabrics , most especially polyester

ive been buying a lot of viscose (similar to rayon) garments lately.

it holds its shape.

ive been wary of buying a lot of silk things my whole life. ill only buy silk garments if they are inexpensive or on sale...

I can't wait for the next generation of synthetics! I can tell you as someone who sews, that polyester can be pure evil. I don't work with it anymore because I have have issues with seam quality. It's hard for me to get a smooth, pucker-free seam with it, and then there are the issues breathability...

But as a consumer I see so many examples of polyester that are designed for comfort. My brother, who weightlifts, works out in shirts made from 90% polyester because they wick away sweat and are cooler than cotton. Of course, it doesn't say polyester on the label (it goes by the name of HeatGear or PolyArmour :rolleyes:), which makes me wonder if the public is ready for a polyester fabric at a premium price. Polyester fleece has made tremendous inroads as far as the public perception of polyester is concerned, but I still feel like it has a stigma. Maybe consumer education will change that?

yes indeedy LiuDat ! it's what i was saying before
the stigma

so let's do our part and promote it :P

already i hear the term "techno fibre" or "technical fibre" replacing this condescending word "synthetic"

it hasn't reached "fashion" yet
but certainly it's favoured for sports , industrial , etc applications
they are high-function fabrics

talking of polyesters, check out Lanvin who has done the most amazing range in polyester.
I can only imagine that the world will follow them as they are in my mind one of the leaders in our industry... You would never know they are polyesters either, so soft to the touch and so drapey...
Spot on.

so let's do our part and promote it :P

already i hear the term "techno fibre" or "technical fibre" replacing this condescending word "synthetic"

We'll have to get a campaign bus and take on the road. :lol:

My question is how much are the designers and manufacturers willing to spend on pr for this new breed of fabric? Part of the problem is that these new polyesters are so different from what we typically think of as polyester.

I think people need to have a way to measure the quality of a fabric. If I see a garment in a store and the label says polyester, how do I know if it's made from $42 a yard NASA developed fabric or normal polyester? Some kind of branding might help as long as consumers see it as something legit and not just a way to seek nasty polyester past the unwary.

Also, isn't there something delightfully perverse about luxury (hate that term but it's the only thing that fits) polyester? :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->