• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Getting rid of STATIC for polyester, nylon, etc clothes

gius

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a problem with static electricity in some of my clothes.
They're basically clothes made from synthetic fabrics, like polyester and I might have one that is a nylon + spandex mix because it's very stretchy.

I hear that when you have them in the dryer, you can add a dryer sheet with the clothing to reduce the static.
But the problem is, when I am wearing the clothes and moving around in them (ie. walking in polyester pants), I seem to get shocked every time I touch something metal!!:shock: How do I get rid of this...:ninja:

bump *

so... recently i read that fabrics made from carbon fibre reduce static electricity
don't really know where to get this fabric though

and also a member response
fashionista-ta said:
....I don't have an issue with static when I wear tights. However, I don't wear much of anything else synthentic ... (a little lycra blended in maybe)

Usually when I get zapped it's when the air is really dry in the middle of winter, I don't think it makes a difference what I'm wearing ...
huh.gif

:flower:
for future reference

Btw, gius, if you have control of your environment (like your home or office), you can run a humidifier during the winter to help with this problem. Of course, the very best thing to do is to ditch the polyester :wink:

just wet your hands and lightly run them over the fabric-that will eliminate the static charge...

also- hair spray works...especially for a dress sticking to hosiery...

or- you can take a dryer sheet and run it over the fabric...

any of these will do the trick...

:flower:

I also meant to mention, there's static spray in a can that I have used before & as I recall it works pretty well ...

oh yeah...static guard...
:lol:...
funny how i have all these 'tricks' but forget the actual product that is made for this very purpose...

*can't see the forest for the trees...:rolleyes:

guess that's me...:P

thanks guys :woot:
so much good advice

and i just noticed the dryer sheets say that on the box too
for reducing static electricity

^i was about to say - dryer sheets have always been my solution for this matter.

i wonder what's in the dryer sheet that makes them do that :unsure:
i remember not seeing an ingredients list
nor to say if it is made of cotton or what

:ninja:

anyway i think it only lasts a few usages...
like you have to wash and dry with the dryer sheet every few usages
or the static comes back
maybe 3-2 usages

I thought the dryer sheets were so things don't come out of the dryer all stuck together (not a problem if all natural fibers :wink:) ... but does the effect actually last longer, when everything is actually on you? :unsure:

yes...
it actually lasts...

but if you build up more electrical charge by walking on a rug or because of a very dry environment...
a quick rub down with one with eliminate it again...

*gius..
i think that dryer sheets are intended for only one time use ...
and you should use them for every dryer load in the winter months when the heat is on and static is an issue...

Garment Care

Hi -- I couldn't find a thread on garment care, so sorry if there already is one!

My current garment woes is that i bought this silky vanessa bruno dress...and it's so static-y that it clings to me! is there anyway to de-static it?? thanks!

sometimes just running a dryer sheet over clothes works but leaves dustiness on dark clothes....but i like this line but have not tried this specific product - laundress static solution
the "fabric fresh" is amazing so i want to try this myself...

i have a static gun which is good .. you jsut fire your clothes with it (just poofs air out) and some how it gets rid of it .. myns ment for photography but i use it on my clothes and hair and everything works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->