Print magazines vs. Digital media: which is better?

I guess each has its benefits. As much as we see all the ads and eds online..you need to see the gloss, crash under the weight and smell the perfume samples in the September issue to get the feel.

^it's true. it's an experience. the weight of that experience creates a deeper connection than one in an electronic space. however, one does not necessarily need the depth of connection for all magazines. as someone said earlier, print will become a luxury. the fair market value for my bergdorf goodman magazine has risen to $50 for four issues. some could get the 'gist' by clicking through it online. similarly, i probably won't ever buy vogue nippon from the news stand, but they could probably make a case to an advertiser that a hundred thousand unique online international viewers is worth money.

^ i definitely agree about the 'connection' print magazines create, I find digital magazines can often feel a bit detached, however i have seen some with really effective video content and multimedia editorials so i think there is definitely room for both. I think there will always be a market for print magazines but i can see more of a turn towards digital in the future, i guess it's just a matter of preference.

Im on the digital bus. I do love holding books and magazines in my hands and flipping through the pages, but for me the pros outweigh the cons. Im not saying abandon print by any means. But having the option is so nice. Zinio is my favorite ipad app. Being able to carry around so much more content is ultra convenient.

And as far as losing your data goes, it's your fault if you're not backing up your data(doesnt matter if it's magazines, music, movies, photos, etc). Back up your stuff people!

And as far as losing your data goes, it's your fault if you're not backing up your data(doesnt matter if it's magazines, music, movies, photos, etc). Back up your stuff people!

I'm not contradicting your point, just making a comment: Regardless of whose fault it is, the fact that losing your data is possible still makes it a "+1" for print magazines.

Fair enough. That's not to say that you couldn't lose print magazines too though. But it's a whole lot less likely, that's for sure. Unless your place got flooded or burned down, or in a bunch of people's cases, just terribly disorganized. LOL.

For now, the ones I can get digitally, I will, but I still love thumbing through pages, and definitely always will.

While I was reading this thread, something came to my mind – we can read in so many interviews that someone get interested in fashion by reading old magazines collected by her or his grandmother/mother/etc. (you know, ,,My mother was always so chic, I was fascinated by her, so I started stealing her glossy Vogues from 1970s and that’s the moment when my story begins”). Then, what remains of us if we entirely abandon printed magazines? Everything that is in the web won’t last forever (there are many reasons of it, like server problems) and we should realize it.

Print. For me seeing a magazine in print, is beyond better than digital. You can see the creativeness in all its glory.
You get more of a feel of the images. Take Vogue Paris, that always looks incredible on the stands.. as well as the inside contents.

There's nothing that beats holding an issue in your hands. Seeing the cover in real.. and everything else.

Digital is alright for forums likes these. Because I'm usually impatient and I want to see the inside right away, like many others.
I guess when digital images are posted, it helps the members to decide to purchase the issue. It's pros and cons I guess.

I totally agree with George Lois on the iPad!

I'm with Dagmarre's opinon/thoughts.
The digital magazine is so fresh, exciting, and will surely prosper, but I do wonder.....the loss of the 'tactile' experience of reading saddens me, and although I doubt physical books and magazines will ever truly disappear, the internet itself still feels somewhat like a 'second-hand' experience....diluted, perhaps.

There is less of a sense of ownership, isn't there, with internet related experience/material?

Just thoughts..

Another point: Readers can feel that rush of excitement upon receiving that big package in the mail.

I'm torn as to what I prefer, I feel that each complements the other.

Whereas it is indeed better to look at an editorial or ad campaign in glossy paper, the digital media serves as a satisfying preview as to whether a newly released magazine (for me) is a must buy or not. Since I live in a country where magazines usually cost a lot, and where only a few titles get to the newsstands, it helps me save by buying only what's worth the money.

And then there's the issue of which one is more environment-friendly. I think the digital media may win in this one at first look but the cost of supplying the raw materials needed to make an iPad does make me think that making paper from wood is less hazardous to nature. We can still plant a lot of trees after all, and we can always recycle paper.

:doh: So I think both should coexist. :smile:

^I second that! I think they complement each other, digital is more immediate and a faster way to get information out there, but iPad notwithstanding, nothing compares to the feeling of having an actual, print edition of a magazine in your hands. It's just more tactile. We've come a long way from the early days, though, digital media has so many possibilities because the fashion industry is that much more open to sharing info now.

Both have their merits. I love to hold fashion in my hand and the finality of the printed page. As the owner of a fashion blog I also love the negotiation and interaction of digital media.

For editorials nothing beats a print magazine. I like to collect magazines as well. There is no way to permanently keep a blog, which is also a part of their allure.

I have all print magazines but I'm not against going digital. I like having an actual magazine in my hands but digital is also good because if I can't find a certain magazine at the store then I would just download the copy. I like both but Id rather have a print copy.

And then there's the issue of which one is more environment-friendly. I think the digital media may win in this one at first look but the cost of supplying the raw materials needed to make an iPad does make me think that making paper from wood is less hazardous to nature. We can still plant a lot of trees after all, and we can always recycle paper.
)

Not to mention that with ipads the materials used to make them have been considered by many to be like blood diamonds- Coltan (an important type of mineral used to this type of technology possible) is mined in Africa. However the funds made from Coltan mining have gone to funding violent conflicts (especially in the Democratic Republic of Congo). So basically when you use an ipad you are essentially supporting acts of violence towards innocent people. So my point is, would you rather read a magazine on an ipad or on paper now knowing this information?

Not to mention that with ipads the materials used to make them have been considered by many to be like blood diamonds- Coltan (an important type of mineral used to this type of technology possible) is mined in Africa. However the funds made from Coltan mining have gone to funding violent conflicts (especially in the Democratic Republic of Congo). So basically when you use an ipad you are essentially supporting acts of violence towards innocent people. So my point is, would you rather read a magazine on an ipad or on paper now knowing this information?

A horrible thought, and yet I also wonder how the rest of our money is distributed (concerning any product we consume) whilst we 'innocently' (or ignorantly) never stop to question it.

A little bit of both, I love prints, i've been buying fashion magazines since I was 12 years old and I love to cut the pages with fashion spread and ads that I like and put them in a folder. I put ads on the wall next to my bed since then, now when I go home to my old bedroom in my parent's house I can still see Kate moss in the ck ad and old Versace ads among many others. I love it, I just love to put prints and photos on my wall and door.
On the other side, I also like to collect fashion images in my computer and now I have an iPad I love the idea of having a digital magazine too.

But if I really have to choose now, I still prefer print!
I love the smell of the print and that I can tore the pages that I like.

Printed magazines! <3 It's great to have both of the world, but i love the feeling (as somebody wrote on 1st page) of getting up in the morning and knowing i will go and get my magazine, sit somewhere, have coffe and read in peace... I also love the smell. I can cut it out if it inspires me, tho i would never cut something from a fashion magazine, i love to collect them like somebody like to collect comic books. <3

The thought of searching through nearly endless fashion magazine archives in digital format is absolutely tantalizing. And I am really concerned about the environment and the sustainability of our favorite things, going digital seems to be the best solution.

I hope, however, the magazine companies agree on a longterm compatible digital format so that even when the current technology becomes obsolete it doesn't mean you have to re-buy your magazine's archive, pay higher subscription and / or be forced to buy a new gadget to access this resource necessary to the fashion industry.

I love to look thru a nice, thick glossy fashion mag and i do that lately when visiting bookstores, lol. I used to have for years many fashion magazines but then i got ridden of all of them to make up some space. Nowdays i still buy/subscribe some magazines and then i throw then out cause I want have fewer things in my house.

I would love to get an iPad soon and see those online, since like someone mentioned earlier they dont like much magazine websites.. and I agree with that in the sense that in this case the print is better.

Funny thing i was telling my boyfriend other day would be awesome to have all our books, magazines and even movies all saved in a device.

btw, i havent posted here in ages, hopefully will bump into some "old faces" again :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->