3. New York
4. London
5. Tokyo
6. Sao Paulo/Rio
7. Hong Kong
8. Madrid/Barcelona
9. Sydney
10. Singapore or Dubai

i would pretty much keep the same order, although i'd say 6. Hong Kong, 7. Madrid/Barcelona, 8. Sao Paulo/Rio. may not be fair as i am clearly influenced by the fact that my hometown is barcelona, but i also think (in a much more objective way) that Barcelona is getting in the past few years more coverage not only in terms of fashion but design in general. hosting Bread&Butter twice a year has clearly changed it's relevance as a european fashion week.

Hmmm, I think every city has its fashion charm. My favorite less mainstream cities are:

Antwerp
Zagreb
Reykjavik

:flower:

i would pretty much keep the same order, although i'd say 6. Hong Kong, 7. Madrid/Barcelona, 8. Sao Paulo/Rio. may not be fair as i am clearly influenced by the fact that my hometown is barcelona, but i also think (in a much more objective way) that Barcelona is getting in the past few years more coverage not only in terms of fashion but design in general. hosting Bread&Butter twice a year has clearly changed it's relevance as a european fashion week.

Just wondering--why would you put HK at number 6?

What fashion weeks do top models walk for besides Paris, Milan, London, and NYC?
I'd say Rio and Sao Paulo. Sure, there are lots of famous Brazilian models but I've also spotted Vlada, Eugenia Volodina and Kim Noorda. Tokyo maybe as well, but it's very often where models are doing their first steps like Olga Sherer or Mina Cvetkovic. Last season I've also seen many well-known faces in Spain, mostly in Madrid.
If I should rank fashion cities, I would be:
1/ Paris
2/ Sao Paulo
3/ Tokyo
4/ Milan/London
5/ New York
but it's a very personal ranking that can easily change from one season to another :flower:

sydney seems to be able to pull faces when it wants to, linda evangelista, lily cole, and most recently erin wasson paraded, as well as the top aussie girls (Gem, Nicole, Catherine, Alyssa, Miranda... )

lol but seriously, who on earth wants to fly to the other side of the world for designers who pay dirt cheap, when only half the clothing is somewhat decent? hopefully it gets better.. apparently its been improving, but i haven't seen it.. maybe i'm spending too much time watching the french and the few decent americans and italians :s

sydney seems to be able to pull faces when it wants to, linda evangelista, lily cole, and most recently erin wasson paraded, as well as the top aussie girls (Gem, Nicole, Catherine, Alyssa, Miranda... )

lol but seriously, who on earth wants to fly to the other side of the world for designers who pay dirt cheap, when only half the clothing is somewhat decent? hopefully it gets better.. apparently its been improving, but i haven't seen it.. maybe i'm spending too much time watching the french and the few decent americans and italians :s
oops yes, I forgot Sydney, I've also spotted two Polish models there, Kasia Kniola and Zosia Prominska :blush:

What's fashionable about Milan? The shows are Eurotrash and the kids are still listening to Italo-disco - it's hardly London.

^^ ny has the streetstyle, paris's got the class, and milan's got the sex... and noone can live without any of those three... that's the only reason why i think milan is still relevant.

FashionCapital, i said HK would be 6th on my list because i quite like some of the ideas that are presented there (as every fashion week it has an individual style that allows you to tell: oh!that's a HK show, or that's Paris, NY, so on...) and i also think that economical growth in china will finally force the capital's fashion week to emerge and be looked at. (i am so not sure if that last sentence makes any sense... :blush:

Tokyo vs London

I think, also because there always IS a hype, London isnt exactly a city to forget.

If you are looking for new talent, people are always focussing on London. For instance, Lanvin, Chloe and Ferretti always go there for interns and new juniordesigners, (and thats just the houses I know) In big fashionhouses, I bet that there are A LOT of people from st martins BA and MA.

Besides, Tokyo?????????? Why??????????

London is like any other European design city. Tokyo's a lot more unique and original. Tokyo wins for me by a mile!

I'd say Rio and Sao Paulo. Sure, there are lots of famous Brazilian models but I've also spotted Vlada, Eugenia Volodina and Kim Noorda. Tokyo maybe as well, but it's very often where models are doing their first steps like Olga Sherer or Mina Cvetkovic. Last season I've also seen many well-known faces in Spain, mostly in Madrid.
If I should rank fashion cities, I would be:
1/ Paris
2/ Sao Paulo
3/ Tokyo
4/ Milan/London
5/ New York
but it's a very personal ranking that can easily change from one season to another :flower:
Oh, I also remember seeing Lily Cole in Singapore a few years ago. Do Canadian models walk in Toronto/Montreal FW? Is it the same with Russians for Moscow?

I think it is also about the people who live in the city. How they dress from day to day. Obviously living in a "fashion capital" can fule that, but cities like Florence, Singapore have amazing stylish people day to day too.

Does that make sense? :smile:

^ OMG, then Tokyo, Helsinki, and Reykjavik definitely apply by that! They have amazing streetstyle~~

Well for me, living in a 'fashion capital' as it were means that fashion is not just sidelined to the two fashion weeks during the year. It's the spirit of the city, the shops, the streetstyle, the daily grind that all contribute to the vibe of a fashion city. So I don't really agree with ranking a fashion city by the designers and models that show and walk during fashion week (two weeks out of 52 in the year!).

Trends begin, evolve and get saturated throughout the year through channels other than catwalk shows - parties, 'scenes' as it were, events, heritage....

Then there's the shopping element. If things aren't widely available in stores, how would WEARERS of fashion be able to bring the stuff on catwalks to reality?

In that Case New York City is the ultimate Fashion Capital.
The people the vibe and the music influences everything within. SOHO for sure is a melting pot of different cultures.

What city can you name that has a two of everything? such as boutiques and Department Stores?

Oh, I also remember seeing Lily Cole in Singapore a few years ago. Do Canadian models walk in Toronto/Montreal FW? Is it the same with Russians for Moscow?
Yes Canadian models (not all of them) sometimes walk in Canadian fashion weeks. About Russians, I only remember a few examples of very young models that walked for Alena Akhmadullina (she shows both in Paris and Moscow) some that I've seen later in Paris.

^^ ny has the streetstyle, paris's got the class, and milan's got the sex... and noone can live without any of those three... that's the only reason why i think milan is still relevant.

I completely agree!:lol:

Couldn't have word it better.

I heard Rome is up-and-coming.

Never thought much about London. Britian seems more like a boho-streetstyle place to me.

Milan got the sex? All people I know live in Milan think that Rome got the sex.:lol:

My vote goes to Paris, New York, and Antwerp.

Shanghai? Paleeeez!:yuk:

1. Paris
2. Milano
3. New York
4. Tokyo
5. São Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti