Ranking Fashion Cities

dubai is where the money is... but i would never call it a fashion capital. i'm surprised Rio or Stockholm arent there.

according to this list, Dubaï used to be a Fashion Capital :

THIS IS THE NEW ORDER:

Paris
2. Milano
3. London
4. Tokyo
5. NYC
6. Hong Kong
7. Madrid/Barcelona
8. Sao Paulo/Rio
9. Sydney
10. Singapore or Dubai

and my "no dubaï ? wow ..." was meant for "wow ! an article that doesn't call Dubaï !"

:innocent:

this top list is anyway out of our world ...
full of clichés ...
please they only found ryan mccingley for NY artist .... jesus christ, please !

:doh:

Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
Tokio
absolutely Tokio

For mens, it's Tokyo by far. No contest. For women, this topic can just be debated in circles.

From FORBES.COM / June 30, 2009

#10 : BARCELONA...
#9 : SAN FRANCISCO...
#8 : MADRID...
#7 : TOKYO...
#6 : LOS ANGELES...
#5 : ROME...
#4 : LONDON...
#3 : NEW YORK...
#2 : MILAN...
#1 : PARIS...

i'd exclude san francisco, barcelona, and rome, and add sao paolo, moscow, and brussels in their stead. i'd keep the order the same. one of the biggest aspects of a "fashion" city in my eye remains whether or not one can immediately think of iconography with respect to fashion -- not to mention other artistic expressions -- at the mention of their names.

nydailynews.com
July 20, 2009

New York City is so last season.
The fashion capital of the world has shifted from the turf of Marc Jacobs and Donna Karan to the palazzi of Armani and Prada.
Milan, which ranked fourth last year, has ended New York's five-year reign as the globe's top town for styling designer duds, an annual survey released Monday shows.
Like a supermodel with a broken stiletto, New York toppled to No. 2 behind its chic Italian counterpart in the list compiled by the nonprofit trend-tracking group Global Language Monitor.
The survey ranks cities partly based on how fashion terms like "haute couture" and "mode" are used to describe them in the media, on the Internet and in the blogosphere.
"It was very, very close," Paul Payack, president of Texas-based Global Language Monitor, said of the survey.
New York finished in front of Paris, Rome and London in the top five.
The Big Apple's backseat status isn't just a swipe at designers and models. Economic woes helped seal its second-fiddle rank, Payack said.
He said the recession had a noticeable effect on recent Fashion Weeks as designers tried to show off on the cheap.
"The parties were not as big," Payack said. "That was enough to knock New York off just a bit. And Milan seems to have had a very strong fashion season, very well praised and a lot of noise about it."
While New York's global status may have suffered, fashion remains one of the most prominent industries in the city. It produces about 175,000 jobs here and accounts for $10 billion a year in wages.
The industry also generates $1.6 billion in tax revenues, according to the city's Economic Development Corp.
Los Angeles made the top 10, finishing at No. 6 in front of Hong Kong. The only other U.S. city to make the top 10 was Las Vegas.

Paris is so overrated. The same with New York and London.
Milan and Tokyo are the fashion capitals of the world.

Paris is so overrated. The same with New York and London.
Milan and Tokyo are the fashion capitals of the world.

I hope this doesn't come off confrontational but would you mind expanding on those statements a bit more? I would really like to here why you think this.

I've always thought of London as over-rated and I don't think it's as big as a lot of people think-most people I've asked say it's as big as New York, Paris and Milan. It was huge in the 60s, but now all the hype seems to have worn down-or at least most of it. Paris isn't as big as it used to be, but it's still the best in my opinion, then Milan, then New York. I've always thought Tokyo should be bigger and Shanghai as well.

I hope this doesn't come off confrontational but would you mind expanding on those statements a bit more? I would really like to here why you think this.

Oh no not at all. Have you ever been to Tokyo? I mean most of the people I see there were well dressed. The colors of their outfits, the layering, how a single item in their clothing match not only their clothes but also their partners and friends?

Paris, NY, London, all agreed...and Italian style is impeccable but I've never found Milan very interesting as far as design/fashion goes. I'd definitely rate Tokyo higher than it, not only is the streetstyle amazing (proof: any issue of FRUiTs magazine/any Japanese streetstyle site) but the looks aren't all the same- people experiment there, and it shows. It really isn't about wearing brand names/designers from head to toe, and that is so refreshing.... and their design scene is amazing, I've been looking over pics from Japan Fashion Week for years and it's been pretty consistently fantastic.

Other cities worth noting (and I'm not basing this on wealth or flashy stores, so Dubai isn't going to make the list- as far as I'm aware, there isn't anything really creative coming out of there, just a lot of money being spent:( Antwerp, Brussels, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Melbourne (maybe?), and Seoul. I'm not too well aware of most of the others, so it's limited to this.

In my opinion...

Creativity
1. Paris
2. Milan
3. London
Up and Comers- Tokyo, Sao Paolo

Business
1. Milan
2. New York
3. Paris
Up and Comer- Moscow

Fanfare/Publicity
1. New York
2. Paris
3. London
Up and Comer- Tokyo

Street Style
1. Tokyo
2. London
3. Paris
Up and Comer- Stockholm, Amsterdam

Interesting thread...

I find the argument Tokyo Vs London deeply offensive. There is simply no contest between the two, here are just some of the reasons Selfridges is full of Japanese!

The Power Players - Some of the most important people in the business are British. Anna Wintour, Grace Coddington, Hamish Bowles, Sarah Mower (Also of Style.com) Plum Sykes (formerly) and Edward Enninful, just some of the British names behind American Vogue. Those at British Vogue, Alexandra Shulman, Lucinda Chambers etc The British Press including Lisa Armstrong (The Times) Hilary Alexander (The Telegraph) and Suzy Menkes (International Herald Tribune) Are all British and there opinions the most highly regarded and sort after in the industry. The alternative British magazines which have influnece the world over including Dazed and Confused, ID, and now Love magazine, and some of the figures behind them including Jefferson Hack, Katie Grand, and Terry Richardson. Then those who weild there powerful connections for example Amanda Harlech a close confident of Karl Lagerfeld, Daphne Guinness, an extremely wealthy and stylish aristocrat, and the now deceased Isabella blow.

The Models - Kate Moss, Erin O'Connor, Liberty Ross, Lily Cole, Agyness Dyn, Naomi Campbell, Lily Donaldson, Jordan Dunn, Karen Elson, Jade Parfitt, Sophi Dahl, Jacquetta Wheeler, Stella Tennat, need I go on?

The Shops - Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Selfridges, Liberty, and Dover Street Market. Boutiques such as Browns, Matches, and Joseph. Our infamous highstreet, with brands such as Topshop, New Look, and French Connection, and Indies like Fred Perry, Ben Sherman, and Ted Baker.

Luxury - Asprey, Smythson, Garrard, Graff, etc The patrinage of our Royal Family is extremely important to both the economy and identity of our country and this is no more so true than with our fashion and luxury brands.

Accessories and Jewellery Brands - Mulberry, Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik, Philip Treacy, Stephen Jones, Theo Fennel, Stephen Webster, Lulu Guinness etc

Those Behind the Scenes - Tim Walker (Photographer), Pat McGrath, (Makeup Artist) Rankin, (Photographer) Eugene Souileman (Hair Stylist) Nick Knight, (Photographer) Charlotte Tilbury (Makeup Artist) Micheal Howells (Set Designer) etc

The Education - The most famous fashion school in the world, Central Saint Martins, looking to be relocated in 2011 to a new site in Kings Cross which promises to gentrify the area and provide a brand new location by which to encourage and support talented young designers. The Royal Academy of Art, and its MA course has produced such influential figures as Christopher Bailey, and the Chelsea College of Art, Not to mention other noteable institutions across Great Britain like Brighton and Leeds which have produced fashion stars such as Julien McDonald and Eley Kishimoto.

Street Style and 'Scenes' - From Kings Road to Shoreditch the capital is world famous for concocting and nurturing eccentric new styles and identies. Punks, Mods, Teddy Boys, were all born here. Clubs such as Taboo and Blitz the incubator for underground artists such as Leigh Bowery and Boy George, and of course the now infamous Boombox, just the latest in a long line of bizarre nightspots for artistically hungry personalities.

The Designers

The Mad and Frivilous - John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, Gareth Pugh, Hussein Chalayan, Vivienne Westwood, etc

The Brands - Burberry, Paul Smith, Pringle, etc

The Stylish - Stella McCartney, Antonio Berardi, Jonathan Saunders, Matthew Williamson, Luella, Temperley, Pheobe Philo etc

The Talented - Christopher Kane, Giles, Richard Nicoll, Nathan Jenden, Hannah MacGibbons etc

Not only is it impossible for Tokyo to compete with this, but it beats New York and Milan to the ground. Paris is and will remain an important fashion capital but it must respect the fact it is the British who put them there. If every Brit who had anything to do with Paris suddenly pulled out, fashion week there would become a crumbling mess. There is no doubt the British are the most important nationality in the industry thus making London the most important if slightly neglected capital of fashion.

Challenge this if you can...

really good post, Master Wood. i wish someone would do that for other cities too :smile:

^^Technically that's about the people of Britain and the actual country, not the city London.
Like Anna Wintour lives in New York, and some of those designers get shown in other cities (mainly Paris).

But the important aspect is the creative process happens in London, 99% of those designers listed live and work in London, Burberry in Victoria, McQueen in Clerkenwell, Paul Smith in Covent Garden etc etc.

It has no bearing on London that Anna Wintour doesn't live there becuase we have our own British editor of British Vogue, just in the same way Lucy Yeomens a fellow Brit is editor of British Harpers Bazaar, and then on the other side of the pond Glenda Bailey again another Brit is editor of US Harpers Bazaar, and this again is replicated in many other US publications Marie Clare (Joanna Coles) Vanity Fair (Micheal Roberts) etc etc the list really is endless and extremely powerful. The power and Scope of the British Press is unrivalled.

I also forgot to mention the Creative aspects London is famous for, particularly present in designers like Pam Hogg and Henry Holland, it doesn't matter they don't hve a mega boutique on 5th avenue their collections can strike excitment and wonder, which often lacks in companies with Billions of pounds behind them, not to mention the support system the British Fashion Council has put in place to support these great individuals and the countless talented designers before them.

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned London in terms of trends! In fact,
I would be willing to argue that London takes the lead for cities starting trends, even if other cities end up perfect them :wink:.

Mod, punk, New Wave, Heroin Chic, Scene... all trace most of their origins London.

i agree ^ nowhere tops london's street style and trickle up trends

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blacksun
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->