Sans Makeup, S'il Vous Plaît (NYT)

I totally agree with you,it's all stereotype rubbish though there is always a sort of truth behind it.
All I'm saying is just look at the coverage girls like Britney or Paris or Nicole get in the USA and go in every FASHION/BEAUTY magazine (just click glam.com for an example) and I tell you that it's wouldn't happen in France because those girls are ridiculous and no one would put them on a magazine to copy their style or as a cover-if only just to laugh at them!

I totally agree with you,it's all stereotype rubbish though there is always a sort of truth behind it.
All I'm saying is just look at the coverage girls like Britney or Paris or Nicole get in the USA and go in every FASHION/BEAUTY magazine (just click glam.com for an example) and I tell you that it's wouldn't happen in France because those girls are ridiculous and no one would put them on a magazine to copy their style or as a cover-if only just to laugh at them!

I agree. In USA there´s a lot less media coverage on other kind of beauty types. There are not a lot of covers (or interviews or pictures) on really beautiful american women like Catherine Keener, Hope Davies, Maggie Gylenhaal, Uma Thurman, Michele Pfeiffer, etc ( I could go forever).
That surely says something about the majority taste.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hear you. The hard thing for people to realize is what motivates American media isn't what the people want to see--it's what the huge companies want us to see. Paris Hilton and her kin pay to have their picture taken, to have their faces on magazines, etc. The giant music labels that employ teen pop stars like Britney Spears put out ridiculous amounts of money for press coverage because their bank accounts hinge on making stars out of these moderately attractive and questionably talented young people. It's all about money, and it really turns my stomach.

I used to respect Harper's Bazaar for their selectivity in choosing women like Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep, Diane Lane, Holly Hunter, Gwyneth Paltrow, etc, to grace their covers.. but recently Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears have become Bazaar veterans, so I haven't much faith in them any longer.

I have to add.. recently Carmen Electra has come out with a book called "How to be Sexy". I had to laugh when I saw that on the shelf, and then shake my head in disgust. Ms. Electra has absolutely no credentials to be writing a book like that, and I'd as soon take appearance advice from Michael Moore.

There are certain women that I am ashamed to share my nationality with, only because they have become in some ways the face of America to the rest of the world. It's just shameful--particularly when the vast majority of us wouldn't ever dream of looking (or behaving!) anything like those girls.

Here are a few lovelies that have graced the covers of Allure magazine that I'd be happy to see there again any time:

allure_april.jpg
AllureCover2003.jpg
allure_cover.jpg
Allure_cover_small.jpg

A couple of them aren't American, but it doesn't really matter. It's just nice to see actual beauty recognized as such rather than the contrived facade that masquerades as it over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, shoot. Forgive me for the double post, but I had to stick something more specifically about makeup in here, as I'm known for going wildly off topic..

IMO the #1 requirement for minimal makeup is good skin. Actually, I think it's a requirement period, as I don't feel that makeup can 'make up' (ha ha) for poor skin.

I present to you.... Green Cream!

10211.jpg

The most brilliant skincare item I've ever bought, and all I think I'll ever need. It's a very high concentration retinol, but the chemistry of the delivery system (the cream itself) is very unique.

It is BRUTAL when getting your skin used to it, especially for those with sensitive skin, but the efforts are not in vain. After a month of using it, my skin was better than it had ever been. It was smooth, glowy, and completely free of pimples and oily spots or dry patches--my pores were almost microscopic and even my undereye circles seemed diminished.

I'm sorry if I sound like an infomercial, but I WORSHIP this product. It has made makeup completely optional for me. Most days I'm happy to go out with nothing but sunscreen, and the occasional mascara & lip gloss is just for added impact.

Another big plus is that retinol actively combats wrinkles and the breakdown of collagen, so I'm putting money in the bank, so to speak.

Learn more about it here:
http://www.greencream.com

Hope this helps someone!

I went camping this past weekend and was sure that I was going to break out because I was only washing my face in the mornings, I wasn't using my acne medication, and I was slathering my skin with sunscreen.

But I was really surprised to find that my skin improved by the second day. Weird.

Now I'm trying to figure out if it was because of 1) washing less often 2) not using the harsh medications 3) stress-free weekend 4) possibly drinking more water (not sure if I did) or a combination of these factors. Wish I could duplicate this effect.

If fussing less actually means that skin improves, I'm all over that.

Nuts. I think it was just a temporary thing, perhaps from sunshine or no stress.

Now it's back to the city, the skin washing, the lotions and medications. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's definitely different for everyone. I listened to all the people telling me to do very little to my face, and I got the worst case of acne ever. Now I'm on a pretty harsh routine (atleast for those with sensitive skin), and my face has never been this clear. Atleast since I was 10 or whatever. Just do what works for you.

I was so mad when my brother was talking behind my back about my acne. (wtf!?) And said something like, "Well, she does wear a lot of makeup." (I was having a really bad case at the time and felt I needed to pile it on just to go outside.) But for the mostpart, I had gone weeks without anything on my face. They had nothing to do with eachother. Now that I have it under control, I can wear makeup every day with no problem.

Now I'm really happy with my skin, and feel free to just put on concealer for a little evenness. No foundation I've ever used glows like my own skin. I always feel dull under it. I can't wait until all my scars are gone. I can go around not feeling like an overdone ho. I never want to be overdone, it's just never been an option. So I'm not too judgemental about what other people do.

Oh, shoot. Forgive me for the double post, but I had to stick something more specifically about makeup in here, as I'm known for going wildly off topic..

IMO the #1 requirement for minimal makeup is good skin. Actually, I think it's a requirement period, as I don't feel that makeup can 'make up' (ha ha) for poor skin.

I present to you.... Green Cream!

10211.jpg

The most brilliant skincare item I've ever bought, and all I think I'll ever need. It's a very high concentration retinol, but the chemistry of the delivery system (the cream itself) is very unique.

It is BRUTAL when getting your skin used to it, especially for those with sensitive skin, but the efforts are not in vain. After a month of using it, my skin was better than it had ever been. It was smooth, glowy, and completely free of pimples and oily spots or dry patches--my pores were almost microscopic and even my undereye circles seemed diminished.

I'm sorry if I sound like an infomercial, but I WORSHIP this product. It has made makeup completely optional for me. Most days I'm happy to go out with nothing but sunscreen, and the occasional mascara & lip gloss is just for added impact.

Another big plus is that retinol actively combats wrinkles and the breakdown of collagen, so I'm putting money in the bank, so to speak.

Learn more about it here:
http://www.greencream.com

Hope this helps someone!

How do you know which level to buy?

I might try a trial size just to see:innocent:

I think clear skin really does just depend on the person, genes, etc. I used to have mild acne but I was put on Accutane when I was 15 and my skin cleared up completely within 6 months. Now I just use Dove Beauty Bar on my face everytime I shower and my skin has been clear ever since.

While I'm not a fan of the overly made-up look, I'm also not a fan of that article slamming Americans. I think no matter where you go, you're probably going to see girls with tons of makeup. But I definitely wear very little makeup. I generally think I look better with a clean, fresh face.

I have been doing the natural look lately and I still haven't gotten used to it. I look so terrible w/o my eyeliner and mascara. I even have had people ask me why I look so tired. I want my black eyeliner back :(

^ maybe try a brown liner, i've been using one, and i find it much better and my eyes still feels "light" (not heavy)

I have been doing the natural look lately and I still haven't gotten used to it. I look so terrible w/o my eyeliner and mascara. I even have had people ask me why I look so tired. I want my black eyeliner back :(

Have your eyelashes dyed. I have mine dyed black (I'm fair haired), and it looks totally natural. It's a very subtle difference, but it changes a lot. It will not have the effect that your mascara and liner have by any means, but it's really good help for those looking to get the natural look. I love waking up in the morning without makeup on and still looking awake!

Mineral makeup is great too when you want to cover little sins without looking too made up.
I sligthly cover my undereyes, ruddiness or zits with a thick concealer brush and I look at least decent and it doesn´t show at all if you pick the rigth colour.

Curling the eyelashes and a swipe of vaseline or Carmex and you can pass for "not-madeup" without looking sick.

I'm following this lately, although I'm not doing t*t on purpose :P It's just that I hate wearing a lot of makeup when the weather is very hot. I just wear concealer, blush, brow gel and sometimes a lip balm. My skin doesn't look bad, so I can do it. My only problems are some nasty backheads :(

Have your eyelashes dyed. I have mine dyed black (I'm fair haired), and it looks totally natural. It's a very subtle difference, but it changes a lot. It will not have the effect that your mascara and liner have by any means, but it's really good help for those looking to get the natural look. I love waking up in the morning without makeup on and still looking awake!

see, that's the problem. I am so light skinned and have red hair so my eye lashes are almost translucent. Extremely long (1/3 of an inch) but also very translucent w/o mascara and liner. Maybe I will get them dyed. How much does it cost?

see, that's the problem. I am so light skinned and have red hair so my eye lashes are almost translucent. Extremely long (1/3 of an inch) but also very translucent w/o mascara and liner. Maybe I will get them dyed. How much does it cost?

At my day spa it costs about $25. It's perfectly safe when they use a vegetable dye, but it smells bad and makes your eyes water for a minute or two. It will look like you've got smudgy liner on for about a day.

It won't be a drastic difference but I think it's worth it. I still wear mascara when I go out at nighttime, but during the day I feel defined enough not to.

How do you know which level to buy?

I might try a trial size just to see:innocent:

Ack! You posted this three weeks ago and I only just noticed it..

If you have really, really, REALLY sensitive skin, start with 3. Most people can start with 6. I started at 6 and now use 9, but you generally have to make a phone call before they'll sell you 9 as it's pretty potent, and they want to make sure you're not going to burn your skin off.

Do you know if the Green Cream is good for hyperpigmation (dark spots from acne)?

Can anyone give me a general idea how much level 6 costs? :innocent:

I love this thread, first of all. :heart:

Anyway, I am really into the minimal makeup look these days because I recently learned that my face looks much better (healthier and glowy) without it! I am a massive fan of Everyday Minerals, but I have realized that my skin looks really good without any foundation, and I started to feel guilty for covering it up each morning! Now I just cover any redness or spots I might have and go with a pretty berry lip stain and that's it! I love it. I feel so much more....me. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->