Sewing - #2

nymphea-
amazing to see the two versions...
well done you!

:clap:...

I cannot see the two pix from here, but I am already impressed with your patience :wink: I already know you do beautiful work--wish I could buy it :heart:

Nice:D yes- it is dramatic

I'm not new to sewing exactly, but garter's a new feat for me^,^

gius- what do you mean-
garter in a pair of pants?

how, where?...
the only garters i know hold up socks or stockings...
:huh:

They're sort of sweatpants, the garter or elastic that goes inside the waistband :smile:

Ok, so I've fallen madly in love with the Laura dress from Reformation and want to do one for myself. Here, it's hard to find a good fabric so something 'regular' will have to do, and probably synthetic. It's also been a while since I've sewn (I no longer have a comfortable space to do so), but I'll manage. I'll post updates - for now, first step will be sourcing a pretty a fabric as posible.

LAURA_DRESS_PROVENCE_1.jpg

thereformation.com

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very pretty dress. I find sourcing quality fabric difficult, there is much bad quality fabric out there unfortunately. Curious for your result, have fun!

^ You're right, it can be difficult. I've found some nice things for suiting and some linen as well, but nothing gorgeous for dresses or blouses. The hunting begins!

^ Have you guys had any luck buying fabric online, or is that not a thing?

Yes, but it isn't the perfect way unfortunately. The colour can be a bit different, also the texture. Some stores send swatches, but a tiny swatch can be very different in elasticity etc than when you are working with a couple of yards. I prefer going to a store to judge a fabric.

Anything I buy online I need to ship out to my country - I've only bought imported fabric but not for garments, since I can't manipulate it before I buy it so I don't feel 100% comfortable purchasing.

The latest thing I am doing is replacing a snap off a pair of pants :smile: without a drill...that seems to be all I find online and on YouTube.
It's not quite the common type of snap I think. It doesn't have a smaller part on the alternate side. Any ideas? I am kind of hoping I won't need any new tools.
Unless it is a tool set for attaching snaps --which I could reuse..

^ soo so late for this but a photo would help. sometimes snaps are just as easy as a little hand sewing and sometimes they are a pain. I hope you got it fixed though!

That's a very pretty dress. I find sourcing quality fabric difficult, there is much bad quality fabric out there unfortunately. Curious for your result, have fun!

I don't really understand why businesses only stock rubbish fabrics. Surely most people would prefer a nice looking and nice feeling fabric?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->