Sewing

Status
Not open for further replies.

utopia

ingenue
Reaction score
so who sews their own clothes?

inspired by evexa's lovely wedding dress posted in the customisations thread, I realised that we really needed a thread devoted just to our sewing projects that we make from scratch, more or less. what have you made? do you have any forthcoming projects? do you draw out your own patterns based on your own design, or do you alter store-bought patterns to suit your personal taste?

for the record, clothing customisation should still go in the customisations thread.

:flower:

i hav this thing about jeans and when all the bottoms of them are frayed coz i like my jeans long! i change them into skirts get more out of them instead of throwing them out! i hav an obsesion with changing clothes!

anyway patterns since i'm only doing my a levels at the moment i havent learned how to draft a pattern yet. although at the moment for one of my coursework projects i am creating a 1920's flapper inspired dress. i usually buy the pattern and change simple things on it like the hemline or sleeves etc. although im going to hav 2 change the waistline to create the droped waist effect!

it wud b gud 2 hear bout how ppl hav managed 2 change patterns 2 suit their needs.

also any ideas wot to put into a portfolio when applyin for university advice would be great thanx

i'm sewing a lot. often late in the night, when i'm really angry or when i need to get my thought away from the real world. i sew pretty much everything, skirts mostly though, but last year i sew my own prom dress, and it turned out quite beautiful. i'll get some pictures on soon.

hmm I don't make my own clothes yet. I design them and have my mom or mee-maw (grandma who refuses to be called so) make it!

when I go home for the holidays (and return to my beloved sewing machine), I am planning to make a 'bustled' black miniskirt, like this one from http://store.virginthreads.com/.
I love the idea of the draped front and longer back. I made a costume by hand for a friend of mine recently that was a bit like this, but the fabric I was provided with was rubbish (recycled from a cheap rayon marks & spencer skirt)...so I'm determined to make one for myself, using nice materials and good finishing details. ^_^

I don't sew my own clothes. It would turn out into a disaster :lol:

Originally posted by utopia@Dec 1 2004, 04:37 PM
when I go home for the holidays (and return to my beloved sewing machine), I am planning to make a 'bustled' black miniskirt, like this one from http://store.virginthreads.com/.
I love the idea of the draped front and longer back. I made a costume by hand for a friend of mine recently that was a bit like this, but the fabric I was provided with was rubbish (recycled from a cheap rayon marks & spencer skirt)...so I'm determined to make one for myself, using nice materials and good finishing details. ^_^
[snapback]446247[/snapback]​

That is so wierd, last nioght I just created a design for a bustled long skirt.
I think they should revive the trend - it hides my *** like a dream!

I got into sewing at the beginning of the year because my mother in law was a seamstress. The first dress I made ended up looking like a circus tent but I have gotten much better since :smile::smile::smile:
I'll post something soon.

GJ @ starting the thread!

Originally posted by evexa@Dec 1 2004, 05:06 PM
That is so wierd, last nioght I just created a design for a bustled long skirt.
I think they should revive the trend - it hides my *** like a dream!
[snapback]446309[/snapback]​

so true! they're really flattering and look quite unique. but it's such an obscure style, it's hard to find a decent version of it. hence why I am making one. :P

I make the majority of the clothing that I wear. A lot of my daily-wear stuff is on my webpage here, here, here, and here, in the vintage-inspired/replica section.. I've made other stuff...a lot of trousers that I can't photograph on my dressmaker's dummy, and some new stuff that I haven't posted yet, and some stuff for my sister that is going to be a gift, so I am not posting those yet, as she sometimes reads tFS.

Originally posted by Betty Boop@Dec 1 2004, 07:54 PM
I like making some of my clothes, now learning to be a tailor so I can be more professional in my work :smile: I haven't made a lot of clothes, I also like to make my own bags and jewelry :smile: here's a link to some of my stuff:

http://www.folk.is/bettyboop/?pb=sidur&id=898377
[snapback]446609[/snapback]​

I love the red and black pants. :smile:

I make my own clothes all the time. I can't really sew well though, so they always look funny when I make them. So my mom does all the sewing for me. :smile:

I tend to make bags and lace jewelry, I do my own patterns for bags, but take inspiration from bags already on the market...i.e so i know where to 'dart' the fabric and so on :flower:

i'm studying tayloring as well. most of the stuff i still buy from stores, but it fits better if you do it yourself

Originally posted by utopia@Dec 1 2004, 01:37 PM
[snapback]446247[/snapback]​

That skirt is very nice in person :heart:

I try to sew, I'm quite pathetic with the machine and cuting

I am planning to make this soon:

skirt1.jpg

It's going to be multi-layered extremeply light cream chiffon with shiny green embroidered leaves :D

Sorry for the crappy drawing - doesn't show what it looks like in my head exactly :smile:

evexa--if you didn't see it in the customisations thread, Gorgeous wedding dress, Great Job!
I've been sewing since I was 14 (18 yrs). It all started with the Jams trend of the mid 80s. My mom refused to pay money for them and made me a pair. When I wanted more, she didn't have the time and showed me how to do it myself....and I never looked back. I think I got the best of both worlds because my mom is very crafty (more crafty than fashionable) and my dad can put anything together just by looking at it. According to my birth numbers I am a process person which fits in perfectly. I have very little training, and am pretty much self taught. I must say, I think I'm pretty good. For lack of a serger, I do everything with French seams, but lately I have been putting the seams to the outside and leaving them raw. I draft patterns from scratch for simpler pieces. More tailored things I start with a store bought pattern and alter it for details. I use a lot of old 60s and 70s patterns when making shirts for myself because menswear was so much trimmer then. Unfortunately, I have a hard time making nice dress pants that fit me properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenn888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->