Shoe / Footwear Design and Schools?

I don't really know much about the shoe aspect of the business, other than what I've read on the internet, and I must say there's not a lot of information to collect there!

and that's what frustrates me and interests me about it. There isn't much information (outside of actual shoe design classes).

and that's what frustrates me and interests me about it. There isn't much information (outside of actual shoe design classes).

I know.. I would really like to know how the life of a shoedesigner is. What they're work is like ect.! Good to know I'm not the only one frustrated by the lack of information :flower:

does CERCAL still exist? their website doesn't have any information about courses this year, most of the information on there is from 2008 and before. i have emailed them two days ago and still waiting on an answer...

I have that on my college, but i decided for Fashion design. Tho it would be cool to learn about shoe design! But it's in different building and i have no idea what kind of subjects do they have! I would like to design shoes one day too! I just adore most of the Galliano shoes <3

I have that on my college, but i decided for Fashion design. Tho it would be cool to learn about shoe design! But it's in different building and i have no idea what kind of subjects do they have! I would like to design shoes one day too! I just adore most of the Galliano shoes <3

LoraV , Please can you tell the name of the school that you're attending ? :flower:

LoraV , Please can you tell the name of the school that you're attending ? :flower:

Sure ^_^
Faculty of textile tehnogoly in Croatia.
It's really lame, i think they could teach us so much more and better, but
the organization is awful! :doh: I wish i could go somewhere better, but i'll stay here and finish it. I don't know how is outside, but i bet it's better!

Sure ^_^
Faculty of textile tehnogoly in Croatia.
It's really lame, i think they could teach us so much more and better, but
the organization is awful! :doh: I wish i could go somewhere better, but i'll stay here and finish it. I don't know how is outside, but i bet it's better!

Thanks LoraV and good luck !!! ^_^

I'm attending my last year of my Bachelor's degree in fashion and textile desig, and my teacher dropped me a hint about attending mdModa, a design school in Barcelona after I'm done. She knows one of the teachers there, and they have a masters degree in fashion and accessory design! The thing is that it's all in spanish :o So I just started getting spanish lessons...

And I've got a small internship at a shoemaker's school, so I'm slowly learing the art of making shoes (I'm gonna use it for my portfolio).

You got to chase the dream, right? :lol:

Has anybody heard anything about mdModa? It's really hard to find any information..

Custom Cowboy Bootmaker

Hello all. I'm a custom cowboy bootmaker who just became a member of Fashion Spot, and of course this thread interested me the most. As far as I know the list of teachers posted in January of 2005 is still current. The school in Okmulgee, Tex Robin and D.W. Frommer all specialize in teaching how to build cowboy boots.

Learning to build cowboy boots is extremely technical; if you manage that you'll have the hand skills you need to create any type of footwear. If you're more interested in building fashion shoes I would recommend the Bonney and Wills School of Shoemaking near Portland, Oregon.

It doesn't appear there are many active shoemakers posting. I would be happy to pass along sources and recommend teachers. I also teach bootmaking as well as short courses on the art of inlay, overlay and stitching.

Lisa Sorrell
Sorrell Custom Boots

Welcome, Lisa! ... and thank you for sharing that information.

I have been here for awhile. Reading post etc, I love shoes. Unfortunately, I have the foot of a basketball player, so that keeps me away from designer shoes BUT, I have been dying for years to get into shoe design...I just don't know where to start or what to do. I have hundreds if sketches and no skill. I don't want to become a designer that has my shoes commissioned by some random factory. I really want to be hands on, cuts, scraps etc lol.

Where and the heck do I even start?...I live in MD. There is an A.I.(art institute) here but, they don't offer shoe design or fashion design( go figure ). They offer fashion retail and business management I believe. Should I start there or is that a waste of time? I know some colleges offer the business with design...I need some guidance I feel like I have shoe that should be worn and the only wearer is my sketch pad LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would think schooling would be very important ... then a job for a footwear company to learn the ropes before you headed out on your own. There are a lot of technical skills to learn.

Here's some info from shoe-design.com:
What requirements are needed prior to attending college to become a Footwear Designer?
There are no precise prerequisites. Most important are passion and intuition. One must be open-minded and know that there is a constant learning process. Anyone with these innate abilities is eligible to enter a footwear design program.​
What can one expect to learn in a footwear design program?​
Shoe design students obtain a comprehensive view of the footwear industry, as well as all the essential elements of what it takes to succeed. They learn how to express both creative talents and technical skills while acquiring a working knowledge of how to design, produce, merchandise and market footwear.​

What college has the most internationally renowned Footwear Design program?
FIDM, Los Angeles, California, is closely connected to the Italian and American industries, both in the technical and design fields, and encourages international design projects with footwear companies who produce throughout the world. Their program covers both the design, illustration, technical drawing, basic pattern drafting, marketing and merchandising aspects of this industry.​
Ars Sutoria, Milan, Italy, is world renown for its full immersion program in pattern drafting design.​
Cordwainers, London, England, has an excellent reputation for the formation of Footwear Designers. Their program concentrates on the art and craft of shoe making and design but less emphasisis put on the marketing and merchandising of footwear.​

What special skills are necessary to be a Footwear Designer?
Some of the special skills needed include a knowledge of basic footwear pattern drafting, illustration and technical drawing, computer skills and marketing competencies. These skills are taught in a good Footwear Design program.​

What talents does a Footwear Designer need?
A Footwear Designer should be curious and be able to spot current and new fashion trends. Paramount is the ability to visualize, conceptualize, and create.​

Where do most Footwear Designers work?
Most designers either have their own company or design for another company using their name on the label, e.g. "Designed by Sandra Choi for Jimmy Choo".​

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->